Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

You can only pick two! Your favorite places to eat in Charleston and Savannah.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Toni

We will be in Charleston and Savannah April 22-March 2 for our 1st trip to the south. We love to eat (who doesn't!) and I was wondering your top two picks for these two city's. We like all types of foods and it doesn't have to be fancy. Some of our favorite places have been really "casual". Thanks for your input. I definitely will take your advise.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 08:28 PM
Carol

We live on Isle of Palms, near Charleston. Our very favorite local restaurant is The BoatHouse at Breach Inlet (886-8000). It's right at the inlet on the Isle of Palms side of the bridge to Sullivan's Island. They're fantastic, mostly for seafood, but also have great filet mignon - along with one of the best views in Charleston. By the way, there's another BoatHouse (same owners) on East Bay in Charleston...the ambiance at Breach Inlet is better.

Another fun place for a "great view" LUNCH is California Dreamin'. Get the California D. salad or their ribs.

Now, I haven't mentioned the typical recommendations on purpose. These are off the beaten path of other normal posts for Magnolia's, Carolina's, Anson's, Poogan's Porch, etc...

Know you will thoroughly enjoy your trip to these 2 wonderful cities, no matter where you choose to eat.

Have fun...Carol

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 04:18 AM
CMcDaniel

Carol...

Doesn't Louis Osteen (used to be Louis's Charleston Grill) have a new restaurant? I know he has moved on from his hotel site. He's a fantastic chef.

Magnolias would have to be my second pick. Best creme brulee outside of New orleans!

For Savannah, dinners, Elizabeths on 37th and Saphirre Grill still reign and Mrs. Wilkes if you are there during the week for lunch or breakfast. No dinners there, no reservations and there will be a wait...though worthwhile.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 07:11 AM
nancy

Toni,
My husband has been down in savannah for business occasionally.
Can't remember the name, but it was a great Japanese restuarant by the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) and down by the river.
Also, there is a great crabshack about 6 miles out of Savannah, across a bridge on Tybee Island.
The restuarnat is pretty famous so someone could help you find it.
Husband says this is worth the trip!!
Also a restuarant called Metro, in an old bus station, ?Martin Luther King Hyw.?
Place doesn't look like much, but has great food.
Around State St.and Bull St. there are some good places too.
Sorry to be so vague!

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Nancy

For a little "low country" flair, north of Charleston (Hwy 17) in the small town of Awendaw is a great locals restaurant named Sewee. You will love it if you like laid back and not too fancy! Pennsula Grill in Charleston is also great, pricey and uptown, but great!

We also loved the Saphire Grill in Savannah and wouldn't miss Wilkes Boarding House. You will have a great time, weather should be lovely and flowers beginning to bloom. I live in Pawleys Island (about 70 miles north of Charleston).

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 08:03 AM
CMcDaniel

Nancy, I believe the restaurant you are referring to is called just that, the Crab Shack. It's before you get onto Tybee, and located on Estill Hammock Rd which is off of Hwy 80 (the road that leads to Tybee). It really is a shack, but great seafood, not all fried (sometimes hard to find in this area) fun atmosphere, and very friendly service. It has a sort of Key West ambience, and was our favorite seafood restaurant when we lived there. This is ultra casual, not at all expensive, and a local favorite.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 02:06 PM
nancy

C McDaniel,
Thanks for coming up with the name.
My husband did not remember it, but was very impressed with the food and the place.
being from Vermont, we obviously do not have places like this!

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 02:44 PM
CMcDaniel

Nancy...glad I could help! That's one of the more "fun" restaurants in Savannah.

And...I spent a part of every summer of my life from age 5 to 21 in South Hero, VT. We do not have places like THAT down here! gt;

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 04:11 PM
nancy

CMcDaniel,
You are so right on *that* one!

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Toni

Thanks so much for all the GREAT suggestions. We love "off the beaten path" obscure places and you all have come up with a list that I will need more then 3 days in each city to cover. Thanks so much for the great suggestions.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 08:50 PM
Carol

Yes, Louis Osteen has broken off from Charleston Place and opened up his own restaurant - I believe it's called "Louis'" or something similar. Unfortunately, it didn't get great reviews in the local paper. (Don't remember the details). Also, for someone who mentioned Charleston Place, I've eaten there several times for brunch and lunch, and didn't quite find it to be at the "rave" level that others have - especially for the high prices.

For the original poster - if you go to:

http://www.charleston.net

This is the site of the local Charleston newspaper and just click on Tips for Tourists for things to do - and there's a section on restaurants and their reviews.

You are sure, however, to love anyplace that has been mentioned here so far - either in Charleston or Savannah.

Have a great trip..

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Ellen

In Charleston, I'd recommend Carolinas and in Savannah, Bistro Savannah. I have several restaurant web sites for Charleston and Savannah bookmarked and I'd be happy to hyperlink them to you if you e-mail me directly.
Ellen

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 06:49 PM
arjay

Charleston -- "Mistral Restaurant" right downtown, about two blocks from the Days Inn. 99 South Market Street.

We happened on this by chance, and found it just delightful. Good food, bistro ambience. A white tablecloth (paper) sort of place, but very neighborhood-y -- the owners seemed to know, and greet everyone. Can't wait to go back.

Poogan's Porch, around the corner from the Days Inn is good for lunch - I had the best, biggest shrimp po'boy sandwich there I've ever had anywhere!

You will enjoy both cities...And if you're 'into' old architecture/buildings...well, be prepared to fall totally in love with Charleston.

In Savannah, Mrs. Wilkes is a definite experience. Arrive about 20 minutes before they are scheduled to open for lunch, and you'll get in on the first seating.

Wish we were going.....

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 06:51 PM
arjay

Almost forgot...in the Charleston area, are several locations of Stickyfingers, a rib chain. But our experience was far above what you expect from the typical 'chain.' The ribs were delicious. The price reasonable...and my spouse was thrilled that he could get his with the dry rub, rather than slathered in sauce. A good choice for a casual lunch.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 07:40 PM
Carol

Have to totally agree with Arjay on Mistral's. Went there for the first time last month and was totally impressed! Great French bistro type place.

Original poster--if there is a play at the Dock Street Theatre when you're in town, try to get there. I think you'll be pleased!

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 08:42 AM
Paige

My vote in Charleston is Garibaldi's on Market Street. Get the crispy flounder. It is their signature dish and is so delicious you would not believe it.

That's a perfect time to visit!

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Chris

THE best place in Charleston is off the beaten path, in Summerville. Make reservations and guys - wear a jacket. It's fancy and pricey, but a really spectacular meal. The best is the tasting menu. Five courses each with a wine poured (by the French sommelier) to match. Exceptional!

Chris

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Lani

Charleston: Magnolia's Uptown & Anson's

Savannah: ABSOLUTELY The Lady & Sons (I'd visit Savannah JUST to eat in that place) and the River House on the water just for the fun of the atmosphere

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 05:23 AM
Kim

Savannah: Nita's place - the chicken melts in your mouth and the peach cobbler is heavenly - ask Nita to sing a song. Crab shack - great seafood, fun atmosphere.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 07:40 AM
Laura

http://www.charleston.net/pub/entertain/restrevu/louis0405.htm

Here is the link for a review of Louis's and it looks good to me! Don't forget about Vickery's on Shem Creek- one of our favorites because we love to watch the shrimp trawlers come and go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -