Yosemite - rent an RV or stay at the Lodge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a family vacation this August (boys ages 9 and 11). We are going to be in SF for a couple of days and then head to Yosemite for 3 nights and then enjoy the coast for three more days. We already have reservations at the Lodge in Yosemite. My husband and I have always wanted to take the kids on an RV trip and think this might be a good idea. We could rent an RV from Cruise America outside San Fran and return it four nights later outside of Carmel.
Should we experience Yosemite in an RV?? Does anyone have any feedback on Cruise America??
Or should we stick with the Lodge and do the RV thing another time/place?
Thank you for your advice!
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO stick with the Lodge. The roads in Yosemite are narrow and windy, usually with very little space on each side should you go off. There are quite a lot of RVs driving in the Park, but to me it would be a nightmare.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"windy" = winding!
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Dropping a cruise america RV someplace other than where you picked it up involves a substantial drop off fee. Go to Yosemite with a rental car. Rent the RV for 2-3 nights for the coastal part of your trip and return it at the same place.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 08:42 AM

Unless you want a passle of dirty looks from drivers passing you when there is the odd chance for them to do so (most roads are two lanes with the occasional passing lane, that were once stuck behind you becuause you are driving too slow, stick with your original plan and stay at the Lodge. Those rental RVs clog up the roads and make trying to get anywhere in or out of the park frustrating.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 08:46 AM

I also look at this as apples and oranges. The Yosemite Lodge would be such a wonderful experience in and of itself.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Taking the kids on an RV trip would be fun. But not for THIS trip. Especially since you already have a room booked at the Lodge -- that is like gold. Some would kill to get a room at Yosemite Lodge in August
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 02:08 PM

Dear mom, I have driven your proposed trip in a car. I have driven an RV. I would in no way what so ever want to drive an RV anywhere in the Yosemite area. It would not be an enjoyable drive or enjoyable ride for anyone able to see out of the windows. My cousin lives in the Coursegold area and told me that the roads in that area are just old stagecoach roads that they tarred for cars. Very winding and limited visibility. RV's are for open roads and this route is not an open road type of trip. Enjoy your trip, the park is awesome, ziggypop
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the tips!!! We will stick with the Lodge!!