Yosemite National Park

Old Jul 4th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite National Park

I am planning a trip to Yosemite in late September. I need to know how many days it will take to view all the wonders? Should I stay at one strategic location and drive daily or move to a different location to spend the night?
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 07:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can get a reservation in "the valley" do it ASAP. You can read many opinions on this subject by using the "Search the Forums" feature at the top right.
It depends on how much hiking you want or are able to do to determine the number of days you want to spend IMO.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 08:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
three days is good unless you want to do some extensive hiking.

You will want to stay IN Yosemite Valley - the best combo of accommodations and (relatively) moderate cost is Yosemite Lodge at the Falls.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 12:13 PM

> I need to know how many days it will take to view all the wonders?

ALL the wonders of Yosemite?
That would take two lifetimes.
But to whet your appetite for the place, you'll need one day to view the wonders of the Valley, one day to drive Tioga Road all the way to Tuolumne Meadows, and one day to do SOME hiking and/or see some sequoias.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 12:36 PM

I'd also visit the Mariposa Grove of giant Sequoias.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/mg.htm

You really needed to make reservations for the valley floor months ago. I'd suggest checking back every day if there are no openings.

As reservations are taken up to a year in advance, look for cancellations.

Gone are the days when I'd drive up to Yosemite on a whim and spend several days.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM

Here's a link to the Yosemite Guide for the issue released for Sept Oct 2012. It will give you a good idea of what's available during your visit.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/yg12-7.pdf

Get reservations at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls via the official concessionaire. www.yosemitepark.com

Looking at the availability calender for the Lodge only Saturday nights at the end of Sept currently available but consecutive nights in early October are available.

The url for the availability calender is really long so here's the tiny url:

http://tinyurl.com/k8v2zp8
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 07:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
As I wrote in the other thread. If you have reservations at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls, call and make sure you aren't assigned a room in the units opposite the office. You can't park there from 8AM onward and the rangers will ticket you.
This parking lot is reserved for tour buses and those with dining reservation (not the cafeteria).

So if you're in those rooms you'll have to move your car by 8AM or park somewhere else and walk back to your room. A disgrace.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 09:23 PM

Myer: In late Sept that shouldn't be a problem. I usually visit Yosemite in the off season (Mar/April, Sept-Nov) and I've never had the horrible parking problems you frequently post about.

Even when I get a room in one of the bldgs directly across from the office - the worst I've encountered is having to park at the other end of my same bldg. Plus - you also keep telling folks to make sure they get a room in other bldgs. That usually simply isn't possible. Most of the time you get what you get. If you don't want it you'll have to stay elsewhere.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 04:30 AM

janisj,
I don't "frequently" post about Yosemite. I didn't notice the trip was for late Sept. I expect many of the problems will have subsided somewhat. How popular is the Valley at that time?

About parking at the Lodge. If the parking lot for the Lodge opposite the office is still fully reserved for tour buses and dining reservations then staying in the units that should use that parking lot is not very pleasant.

Not only do you have to try and find a space in the parking lot for the other parts of the Lodge but now three areas of lodging are using parking intended for two areas. Not very pleasant when you have to park that far from your room. And I was told rangers will ticket cars that are parked in the main parking area during the day.

It's really unfortunate that a place as beautiful as Yosemite is run that way. I'm not the only one who's been turned off by how the place is run.

Why is it that Zion that also has a shuttle system during the summer runs smoothly?

When we went to the Grove 3 of the "free" shuttle buses that go between the parking area and the Grove were just sitting there. The bus drivers were just standing around telling people that their buses needed repairs and it would be taken care of eventually.

That meant the remaining buses ran less often than every 45 minutes and those unfortunate people who didn't fend for themselves in the waiting line had to wait for several buses to come and go. That meant waiting as much as 2 hours.

With very limited inpark lodging and outside lodging being so far away, a lot of the pleasure of this park is easily lost. Too bad.

There's no reason that Glacier Road, one of the premier attractions in the park, should be as inaccessible as it is. They could easily build a parking lot where Glacier Road meets the main road and have 2 shuttle buses running back and forth on Glacier Road. I would definitely pay a nominal fee to use this service.

That would make Glacier Point, Washburn Point and the Sentinel Dome hike pleasurable experiences.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Preaching to the choir. It is such a mess in the summer. They bring up putting in place a system like Zion, but it never goes anywhere :/
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 08:33 AM

myer: >>I don't "frequently" post about Yosemite. where I have to park.

>>They could easily build a parking lot where . . .
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 09:00 AM

I do not know about parking, but I have seen congested traffic (eg double parking blocking the road) in October.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 01:16 PM

janisj, I don't think I ever wrote that the park is too crowded. That's the problem. There should not be that much trouble in a park with that number of people.

I never saw too many people anywhere. I saw a number of people that a park should have been able to handle.

A better shuttle system might help. More busses with more stops.

Why were 3 buses sitting at the entrance to the grove disabled on Fathers Day weekend. I was quite glad to see that the paid tour thru the grove drove around 3/4 empty.

I don't mind walking from where I had to park my car to my room. I did object to spending a half hour driving in circles waiting for somebody to leave so I could take their space. And aren't they going to be annoyed when they return and can't find a space.

The parking lots were made large enough to handle the people at each lodge building. Not being able to park in the lot opposite the office (and right in front of one of the Lodge buildings) eliminates about half of the parking.

If there's room to build better facilities (in this case a parking lot for Glacier Road) and they can't due to beaurocracy, they should shut down the park until they're given permission to bring it up to proper standards.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 01:57 PM

myer -- YNP is gets over 4,000,000 visitors a years. The ONLY parks w/ more visitors are Great Smokey Mountain and the Grand Canyon.

>>If there's room to build better facilities (in this case a parking lot for Glacier Road) and they can't due to beaurocracy, they should shut down the park until they're given permission to bring it up to proper standards.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input! I really appreciate it! There is no availability at the Yosemite Lodge for the days I will be there in late September. I will work something out somewhere. I am excited to visit Yosemite. I will keep checking on the posts until I leave upstate NY on 9/22. AND after my trip, I will post my "thoughts".
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 04:40 PM

Make a cancelable reservation at Yosemite View Lodge or Cedar Lodge - both are in El Portal. Everywhere else is way too far to drive.

Then keep contacting Yosemite Lodge - it is almost certain you can get in since cancellations are VERY frequent. Because the Lodge books up so far ahead - it means plans change trips are cancelled. Contact them daily if need be - but you'll most likely get in.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 06:24 PM

Cindy,

Are you sure you want to go in Sept? Waterfalls are likely to be bone dry then. To me, the biggest attraction is the waterfalls. I'm not saying this is the only reason to go, but for a first visit it seems like a big part to miss out on.