Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Yosemite - May 15 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/yosemite-may-15-a-837000/)

geth Apr 23rd, 2010 10:51 AM

Yosemite - May 15

My oldest son is flying out to visit us in the Bay area. We've lived here less than 2 years and have yet to visit Yosemite. There will be myself and husband, and then 19, 6, and 4 year olds.

We'd love to visit Yosemite but I know nothing about where to stay and what to do there. Drive around? With the 4 and 6 year old, hikes over a mile or so are out.

Anyone have some tips? Thanks!

Dayenu Apr 23rd, 2010 10:58 AM

There is a valley train that takes you around, or you can go a similar route for free using park shuttles. Don't worry about 6 and 4 year olds - they will find plenty to do chasing squarrels :)

The best if you can get Yosemite lodge in the park (not to confuse with Yosemite view lodge - beautiful place, but not IN the park) - do they still don't have TVs there?

Go to Nat'l parks' website, they have photos, descriptions, shuttle routes. Make sure you go to Yosemite falls really close so you get wet :)

In the center, where Yosemite lodge is, there is a cafeteria with several food stations, don't remember exactly, maybe a restaurant and some shops. I mean, food is not a problem in the park.

Will you be driving, or you need help with Amtrak?

ronkala Apr 23rd, 2010 11:07 AM

We couldn't get lodging in the park, so we will be staying at the Miners Inn Motel in Mariposa. It got pretty good reviews and offers a free continental breakfast. I can't tell you any more than that as we won't be there until next weekend.

There is a butterfly program/celebration next weekend that includes butterfly release, a parade, and various other programs starting Friday in Mariposa.

kmbp Apr 23rd, 2010 11:21 AM

Cancellations may be made without penalty as late as three days before the reservations begin. People's plans change. If you are interested in booking at the Lodge, you might try again (and again).

onemoneygirl Apr 23rd, 2010 11:31 AM

Mariposa is a charming town and its a beautiful drive into the park. Let the kids make stick boats and watch them flost down the river, chase squirrels, ride the shuttles and see if they can earn a jr ranger badge! We loved climbing rocks and riding the horses too. Enjoy your visit!

geth Apr 23rd, 2010 01:14 PM

thanks so much! I had no idea where to start :).

Suzie Apr 23rd, 2010 01:39 PM

Review the Yosemite Guide that is currently out.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/yg10-3.pdf

You can park inside the park and use the shuttles to get around.

Walk to Mirror Lake, it's flat. Kids and old people alike actually make the hike to Vernal Falls. Even if you only get part way, looking down to the Merced river or off in the distance to Illilouette Falls is worth it.

Since it's pretty much waterfall season in Yosemite, take a look at this web site for great waterfall info in the various areas in Yosemite.

Southwestfan Apr 23rd, 2010 02:25 PM

You will love Yosemite - we always stay at a bed and breakfast whenever we travel - although I think maybe yours are too young to enjoy that - we stayed at the Poppy Hill Bed and Breakfast in Mariposa - was so fantastic - but again not maybe for children.

november_moon Apr 24th, 2010 07:10 PM

There are a bunch of trails along the river through the valley as well - they make for nice walks and since they are along the river, you can stop at small beaches long the way to wade and float leaves downstream. Fabulous with little kids.

geth May 6th, 2010 12:49 PM

Thanks for the responses. It looks like it will have to be a short trip. Would it be worth it to drive over from East Bay on Friday afternoon, stay Friday night, visit the park on Saturday and drive back Sat evening? Or should we just look for something closer to home? My son is just not that much into the beach so I was looking for something that was not.

Otis_B_Driftwood May 6th, 2010 01:32 PM

Spending a whole day in Yosemite would be better than not visiting at all but can you get a room for that Friday night on such short notice?

Whether you go or not depends on your interest and desire. No one here can really decide for you. If you can switch your days, it is always best to visit Yosemite Valley on a weekday.

As far as beaches are concerned, I'm sure that the Merced will be a raging torrent in mid-May. Probably not the safest place for young kids at this time of year.

Placename May 6th, 2010 02:12 PM

Please be very careful when beside the streams or rivers this time of year. It's so easy to slip on the rocks and that water is very swift and unforgivingly cold right now. Quite dangerous, in fact.

Dayenu May 6th, 2010 02:44 PM

We once went to Yosemite from San Francisco leaving early, coming back the same day, still I think it was worth it!

Other area you might enjoy would be Lake Tahoe.

For a shorter visit check out Safari West in Santa Rosa.

spirobulldog May 6th, 2010 03:52 PM

You would probably have a great time visiting the Mariposa Grove and Valley area. Ride the tram among the trees to save steps for your kids.

You could stick with Muir Woods or Pt Reyes, which is closer. Pt Reyes is a beach, but really isn't anything like a beach to swim in. Tidepooling there was really nice.

I would pick Yosemite for a day or two if at all possible.

nevermind May 6th, 2010 08:23 PM

We like to stay at Yosemite Lodge: http://www.yosemitepark.com/Accommod...miteLodge.aspx which I recommend, if you can get a reservation. Try, and try again. Cancellations come up all the time. I'd recommend two nights, so you can spend a leisurely day in Yosemite.

Have you considered Calaveras Big Trees. You could do this in a day. It would be a long trip, but would be possible. If you decided to stay the night you could go to Big Trees and Columbia State Park ( http://www.columbiacalifornia.com/ ). You might even be able to do it in one day, but I think two would be more manageable. You could get a taste of the "Old West" with these two places.

geth May 7th, 2010 08:15 PM

I really appreciate all the responses! Nothing like a little travel planning to relax.

ronkala May 9th, 2010 11:36 AM

We had a nice stay at the Miners Inn in Mariposa. It was about fifty minutes to the park and a few more to valley. A nice drive with nice views. We shortened our plans for Yosemite from three days to two as the Mariposa Grove was closed as was Tioga Road and Glacier Point Road due to snow. That was this past Monday and Tuesday.

Do heed the advice to park your car and use the free in-park bus. They have several buses running and the wait for one is very short. I think there are twenty one stops so parking near a stop is not hard to find.