Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Yosemite Lodging Question and meaning of "Isolated Tstorms" ha? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/yosemite-lodging-question-and-meaning-of-isolated-tstorms-ha-789081/)

losangelestraveller Jun 9th, 2009 11:12 AM

Yosemite Lodging Question and meaning of "Isolated Tstorms" ha?

My husband and I have reservations to stay outside the park in Fish Camp. I have been to Yellowstone and have stayed just outside of the park (Cooke City) - and I'm wondering if geographically/logistically, is this similar? For those of you who have been to Yosemite but not Yellowstone - in your opinion, is it totally ridiculous to stay outside of the park and drive in and out of it each day?

We are going on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday and maybe Sunday. We plan on going really early and staying pretty late (we're young and love coffee :) - which in part is to avoid the traffic but also to see the park in these beautiful times of day.

Currently, our reservations are at the White Chief Mountain Lodge.

As for the thunderstorms - what would "Isolated Thunderstorms" look like in Yosemite? Are they enough to consider when making travel plans?

Thanks for any help!

november_moon Jun 9th, 2009 11:58 AM

In Fish Camp, you will be very close to the southern entrance to the park, which is where the Mariposa Grove and Wawona area are - also between where you are and Yosemite Valley, you will pass the road to Glacier Point. The drive into Yosemite Valley is about 45 minutes without traffic, so I'd allow for an hour or an hour and 15 minutes. The only inconvinient area of the park from where you are is really the Toulumne Meadows area - still since you have so many days, I would make the drive.

As for the isolated thunderstorms, that is what they are - isolated. I wouldn't change plans for that because that would mean avoiding the Sierras all summer long ;)

Ronda Jun 9th, 2009 07:46 PM

You will want to go to Glacier Point for sure. Beautiful view of Yosemite Valley. There are also hikes you can do in that area. I don't have specifics for you but we hiked to the fissures - cracks in the granite that let you look down to the valley floor. You can walk right out to the edge (railing).

Ideally I like to stay in the Valley but in recent years it has become more difficult to get a reservation in the valley unless you start a year in advance. I have not stayed in Fish Camp but have stayed at Wawona. It is a good little drive but doable.

lvk Jun 11th, 2009 08:32 AM

We stayed at the Tenaya Lodge south of the park, and had no problems driving into the park every day. We planned one day at the southern end of the park - Wawona; Mariposa Grove (you can take either hike it, take the tram tour, or take the tram tour up and hike down); and horseback riding at the stables in Fish Camp (less crowded than the ones in the park). Another day we went into the valley and to Glacier Point.

I wouldn't worry about the thunderstorms. They may or may not come your way, and will probably pass through very quickly.

chuck_pt Jun 11th, 2009 12:51 PM

We stayed in Cooke City last summer and I would guess that the drive from Fish Camp to the valley floor is fairly similar in distance as the drive from Cooke City to the Roosevelt/Tower junction. The Yosemite drive may be a bit longer, more winding and with greater drop offs so pay attention and dont get distracted by the views!

Both are scenic drives, beautiful in different ways. From Cooke City the mountains, the vastness of the Lamar Valley, and the wildlife is incredible. In Yosemite, as others have mentioned, be sure to take Glacier Point Road to the lookout. Also stop at tunnel view, the lookout just on the valley side of the tunnel. Truly amazing vistas.

We were in Yosemite last June and the weather went from sunny and clear to raining (dark clouds,thunder and LIGHTNING too) and 15-20 degrees cooler within a half hour. It was sunny and clear again within an hour. You often will see the dark clouds off in the distance. Dont let that stop you, but probably not a good idea to be out on a hike when dark clouds are rolling in and lightning is possible. Talk to the rangers and they will give good advice.

Also: Fish Camp may actually be smaller than Cooke City!

Have fun!

pocohontas3 Jun 12th, 2009 08:05 PM

Having just left Yosemite Lodge and gone through Fish Camp, I recommend a night in both locations. One night in the valley (as you can get it) to see those sites and another at the southern end. Having to drive repeatedly up the Valley and to points farther north would be a nuisance and too much car time.

Birdie Jun 12th, 2009 08:53 PM

Hey pocohotas, we were just in Yosemite too for Tues and Wed night. I have to agree with your opinion. We found the drive in to the valley to be not as easy as you would think. If you are staying outside of the valley because its booked, keep trying. We scored Awanhee reservations the Friday before our Tuesday night arrival. Scattered ts were predicted for our stay too. We didn't hear any thunder and the occasional rains actually worked to our favor when they cleared out the more popular sites such as Glacier point.

azzure Jun 13th, 2009 09:38 AM

It will often cloud up and rain briefly on summer afternoons in the Sierra; that's how it stays so green. Nothing to worry about except the usual lightning precautions.

I agree that Fish Camp is really too far from the valley for a daily drive...did you check Yosemite West?

MomDDTravel Jun 14th, 2009 03:51 PM

Birdie! You were out here? Hoe you enjoyed the stay!

Birdie Jun 14th, 2009 08:42 PM

Hey Mom, yes, we just returned from a fabulous trip to San Fran, Yosemite, and Lake Tahoe. I waved to you. Didn't you see it?