Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Yosemite lodging is booked! Now, what airport....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...should we fly into/out of?

This is what we are considering.
Option #1 - Fly into Sacramento and home via San Francisco.
Option #2 - RT San Francisco.
(It's $100. less to fly RT San Francisco.)
I checked car rentals and there does not appear to be any drop-off fees if we fly into Sacramento and drop the car in SF.

We have 3 nights booked at the Yosemite Lodge in the valley, starting September 8. (Yay!) Our tentative plan includes Yosemite first, then making our way to Cambria and staying on the coast for the next 3 nights, driving north to Monterey. We won't miss the state parks around Big Sur or the Los Padres Nat Forest.

The hubs would like to fly home via San Francisco. We would then spend the last day or two in SF. We have not decided if our trip will be 8, 9, or 10 nights and are still working out an itinerary.

Is it an easier drive from Sacramento to Yosemite?
Is it a more scenic drive?

We're from a small town in upstate New York. I will be the one to drive because I get car sick if I'm reading the map. (please stop laughing ) I've driven in many states including Utah, Arizona, Nevada, New York, all the way to Maine. I've also driven from Orlando to the FL Keys...the hubs says if I can drive around Miami, I'll be fine around San Francisco.
I've never been to CA and the thought of driving in the big cities makes me feel a little apprehensive.

Any thoughts and input will be appreciated re: what route would be an easier drive to Yosemite. Thanks so much.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Driving from Sacramento would be easier and more scenic IF you can drive Highway 49--listed on most maps as a scenic route. It's a bit curvey, though.

This way you could take Highway 120 into Yosemite---also very scenic.

You could also check fares flying RT into either San Jose or Oakland. Either of those would be a much easier drive than San Francisco. San Jose airport is under construction but still quite navigable. If you choose to include San Francisco at the end of your trip, return the car at SJ or Oakland and take CalTrain or BART into the city--you don't want a car there anyway.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Sounds like you may be flying from a smaller regional airport, so a nonstop into SFO probably won't be an option, but if it were, you might want to think about it, as changing planes in Chicago or Denver or elsewhere eats up time.

What time do your flight options into California arrive? It will take you at least 4 hours to get to Yosemite. Try to get as early an arrival as you, so you can enjoy whatever route you take during daylight hours. As enzian says check Oakland for arrivals as sometimes fares into that city can be cheaper and access to getting out of the Bay Area is fairly straight forward from there. When I lived in this area, it usually took me a good 45 minutes less to get to Yosemite as opposed from coming from across the Bay near the SF airpot. The Oakland airpor is a breeze to navigate too.

You won't need a car in San Francisco, unless you plan to spend another day there and see Point Reyes National Seashore.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 01:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It would be an easier drive from SMF. But try to get connections so you land sometime between 9 AM and 2 or 2:30 PM. Getting the car sorted out etc. will take a bit of time and you don't want to be driving through metro Sacramento during the morning or afternoon commutes.

Flying home from either San Francisco or Oakland would be good.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. Will look at Oakland...SJ is a more expensive RT flight option for us. (We're flying out of Syracuse, NY.)
Our plan is to over night the first day of travel, were ever we land, and drive to Yosemite day 2. We were thinking if we chose Sacramento, we could then see the capital building.
Thanks again.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 04:54 AM

On you last leg in San Fran- Do the obligatory drive across Golden Gate Bridge and turn your car in. You won't need it. Take BART back to the airport. Easier, cheaper, and you would pay more each day for the parking charge than what you are going to pay for the car rental.

I haven't been to Oakland in years, but we were in SF this past March. Everyone told us Oakland was dangerous, so not sure I would want to spend the night there on the first night.

You might even consider taking the BART to downtown the first night. Rent your car downtown and turn it in downtown upon your return. The BART takes about 30 minutes from the airport. This would eliminate any drop fees as well.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 04:57 AM

I just looked at a random date in Sept and flights for less than $250 sound like a bargain to me for a trip from east to west coast. I was going to suggest driving to Albany and flying Southwest, but I don't see how you can do much better from Syracuse. Southwest is easier to fly multicity(usually).
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 05:02 AM

Sorry, one more thing. Go for 10 nights if time and money allow. You won't be sorry. You could always spend a day or two @ Point Reyes.

we are going to Yosemite in May.
Here are some photos of San Fran,Muir Woods, Pt Reyes
The photo of my wife going down the stairs is in the latest Fodors California book.

http://www.photoworks.com/slideshow/...7?source=pw980

http://www.photoworks.com/slideshow/...B?source=pw980
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 06:44 AM

This misnomer of Oakland being dangerous is bogus especially if you spend the night near the airport, which is safe. If you fly into Oaklnad earlier enough you won't even have to stay in Oakland. The Oakland airport is actually in the San Leandro/Oakland border which is way south of the city center and it DOES make for easy exit out of the area. I did it for 13 years. I would still consider it. Those of us that HAVE used it know what we are talking about.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Bulldog for sharing your photo links. {I need captions for every one. ) You 3 make a beautiful family!

Flying in/out of Oakland is almost as expensive as Fresno...and I don't see any 1 connection flights. Will only book one connection flights.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 07:46 AM

Tricia, that's fine. I just wanted to clear up the Oakland being dangerous misconception for you if something appealing should come up with regards to that airport. Have a great trip!
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, iamq. I appreciate everyone's replies.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 01:24 PM

Parts of Oakland are just fine, other parts -- not so much. And flying out of Oakland is totally fine. But I would never recommend someone stay near the airport. Now - down at the marina in San Leandro, or up at Jack London Square would be totally OK. But the Hegenberger corridor (the main road to/from the airport) and the area around the arena should be avoided at all costs IMO.

For several years I covered our two field offices in Oakland and San Jose every week, so have stayed in most hotels in the area and if it wasn't for work requirements I wouldn't do it. I was robbed IN MY HOTEL ROOM once and had tires slashed or other car damage twice - all on Hegenberger . . . .
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 03:25 PM

If you fly into Sacramento, I suggest driving down Hwy 49 also. It takes you through the California Gold Country, dotted with small towns nestled in the Sierra Foothills. I have taken both routes to Yosemite from Sacramento (I live outside Sacramento) and Hwy 49 beats I-5/Hwy 99 for scenery and California history.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 04:19 PM

I feel very safe at the Courtyard Marriott Oakland Airport. Never been robbed there either.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 04:32 PM

You haven't - I have. So I guess it depends on IF you feel lucky . . . .

But WHY even consider it -- there are so many other, better places to stay -- even for an early morning flight.

(It only takes once to change one's perception)
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 04:51 PM

I have never been to a place and had so many people that we would be better off not to venture across the bay bridge into oakland. Even the guy on our segway tour mentioned it several times. Even though I haven't stayed there, I know that the thought of Oakland being dangerous is not a misconception. I know there are good and bad parts to every large city. Statistics show crime rate in Oakland to be very high- just google it for yourself. My whole point was like that of janisj-why take a chance when you don't have to.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 04:56 PM

Back to the original post- your probably better off just sticking with SFO. It is farther out of your way, but still better just going with a one connection flight. And I don't think saving an hour of driving is worth saving $100 from airfare ticket.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again folks. Bulldog, it's not about saving an hour of driving for us. We enjoy the drive (I only start to feel sick if I need to read...been this way all my life, so I know how to handle it), just not in heavy traffic. I bought the Fodors CA 2010 book yesterday. We're going to fly into Sacramento and drive to Rt. 49 day one. Will choose a place along Rt. 49 - welcome to suggestions - for our first night. Fodors recommends the Imperial hotel in Amador City, which they say is "an easy 50 minute drive from Sacramento". We have decided to save SF for it's very own trip. Will fly back east via SJ.

p.s. This trip is on my bucket list of things to do before I turn 50. I'll be 50 in December this year, so it is a special vacation.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 08:56 AM

I agree with janisj. The area around the Oakland airport is just not nice. I would definitely not stay there. (The areas around both San Francisco and San Jose airports are much better)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -