Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Yosemite Lodge Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/yosemite-lodge-question-712998/)

mmouse52 Jun 13th, 2007 05:44 PM

Yosemite Lodge Question

I am planning my trip for next July. I want to stay at Yosemite Lodge but I have been reading reviews on trip advisor and they are very mixed. They have two catagories of rooms standard and lodge rooms and it sounds like there isn't much difference in quality or decor just that the lodge rooms are bigger and I can't see paying more for a bigger room since I really won't be spending that much time in the room. There are more options of hotels in the park but I am not looking to spend over 300.00 a night since I am spending another 7 nights traveling through northern california. I could stay outside the park but feel I would lose too much time traveling back and forth. Anyone who has stayed here your suggestions would be very much appreciated. You can make reservations a year in advance so I want to do that as soon as I can.

Suzie Jun 13th, 2007 06:07 PM

The Yosemite Lodge at the Falls is the closest you will get to Yosemite Falls as far as lodging goes. They don't turn off the falls at night either! ;)

My experience with the Lodge is that the rooms are just fine. They get nearly constant use and they are getting on in years yet they are clean and comfortable. Last year or so they finally installed TVs in the rooms. I think people go to Yosemite thinking that they paid alot of money for the room and it's kind of basic. But it's great for mountain lodging. You might want stay at the Awhanee if the price is right for you. You can make reservations and cancel too without penalty.

janisj Jun 13th, 2007 06:24 PM

One doesn't go to Yosemite because of TripAdvisor hotel reviews. The properties in the Park are what they are - and be very darn glad they are there.

Yosemite Lodge is perfectly fine - probably not the type of accomodations one would pick at Lake Tahoe or in Napa - but staying on the Valley floor is 100000% better then staying outside the park.

seremarcus Jun 13th, 2007 06:50 PM

I go yearly to the Yosemite lodge and feel lucky to get any room there! I have stayed in both standard and lodge. They are aging,but heck, it is soo worth staying on the valley floor then driving in and out of the valley. We only use the room for sleeping at night and out seeing the sights the entire day or at the pool in the afternoon. There is much more room in the lodge, and that would be my first choice, but the standard room is just fine. And if you can't get reservations, I have always been lucky with persistance and scoring cancellations.
Elaine

kmpordagee Jun 13th, 2007 06:58 PM

You really don't have a lot of choices. You could stay at the Awahanee (too pricey), the lodge, or the housekeeping tents. Otherwise you have to stay outside of the park and drive in and out every day. I wouldn't do the drive in and out unless I had no other choice.

We stayed there for 5 days a couple of years ago. They're not terrible, but they are worn. It's just a place to sleep while you are in Yosemite. I would say that they are comparable to a Motel 6, although not with Motel 6 prices. I wouldn't plan on spending a great deal of time in the room - spend it in the Valley instead!

ellen_griswold Jun 13th, 2007 07:02 PM

I totally agree with the above posters. Stay there if at all possible, you won't be sorry. Its only a room, a place to sleep and shower, but it really wasn't bad. Perfect location, nice private balcony. No a/c.

On two earlier trips we had to stay outside the park in El Portal's Yosemite View Lodge. We were thrilled to finally stay in the park in july 05; what a difference it made!

Click on my name and scroll down for my trip report with lots of yosemite lodge details among many other CA spots.

Happy planning!

Suzie Jun 13th, 2007 07:13 PM

I would not compare them to motel 6. They are better than that and they don't smell like smoke. The carpet they install is very short so you never get that yulky feeling tha tsomething is hiding in it. It's more like the carpet in offices.

100000% is alot! ;)

azzure Jun 13th, 2007 07:37 PM

I would also suggest looking at the condos at Yosemite West -- not in the valley, but off Hwy 41 in a private inholding within park boundaries, and less than half an hour's drive to the valley floor...also quite close to the Glacier Point/Sentinal Dome area, and the Wawona grove.

patinegypt Jun 22nd, 2007 06:46 AM

There are also nice houses in Foresta (just a 20 min. drive to valley and out of the craziness), or in Wawonna at The Redwoods. Depends on whether you would like to cook some of your meals and not eat out everyday.