Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Yosemite Lodge - Okay to Stay or just too rundown? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/yosemite-lodge-okay-to-stay-or-just-too-rundown-308082/)

Susan56 Apr 17th, 2003 11:56 AM

Yosemite Lodge - Okay to Stay or just too rundown?

We are planning a family trip (2 adults and 2 teenagers) to San Francisco and then on to Yosemite and Sequoia this coming August. I have booked us rooms at the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf in S.F. and at the Yosemite Lodge in Yosemite and at Wuksachi Lodge in Sequoia. I was pleased with these choices until I visited the RANTS and RAVES section of this site. It appears that recent posters are not at all pleased with the accomodations at the Yosemite Lodge. I understand that they are spartan, but I do not want to find dirty and worn looking rooms. So, does anyone have any recent experience at Yosemite Lodge? Should I try to find other accomodations? The Ahwahnee is much too pricey and is not an option. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

J_Correa Apr 17th, 2003 01:11 PM

We stayed at Tenaya Lodge about a year and a half ago, which was nice with spa facilities, a pool, and all that, but it was outside the park and about a 45 minute drive in to the valley. This was in the off season so there wasn't any traffic. With traffic, it would take longer.<BR><BR>I think staying in the valley is much better - no need to drive in and out, being able to really appreciate the beauty, and so on. Actually, we will be there next month, camping in the housekeeping camp.<BR><BR>I haven't stayed at Yosemite Lodge, but they way I see it, you don't go to Yosemite for the lodging, you go for the spectacular scenery. Other people I have talked to have said that the lodge is clean, just not fancy. It's not a dive or anything, the rooms are just plain.

nomopromos Apr 17th, 2003 02:36 PM

You are paying for the room location in Yosemite, not the room itself, but even so, it's generally clean and spare. There are no televisions in the rooms, but it gives you a chance to read, play games, socialize or do something besides watch T.V., so come prepared. <BR><BR>There is no air conditioning in the rooms either, so request a room fan and a tree-shaded accomodation if possible, even though most of the trees in the Lodge area have been cut to make way for paved tour bus parking. Curry Village is actually the coolest spot in the valley.<BR><BR>Normally I would encourage you to stay in a valley room, but August is not the best month to be there -- high heat, the waterfalls and river have dried up, afternoon thunderstorms make hiking dangerous -- if I were going in August I may just be tempted to stay outside the valley and enjoy some additional amenities Just IMO.

isabellasu Apr 17th, 2003 04:07 PM

When we were in Yosemite Sept 2001 we stayed at the Yosemite Lodge, it was just fine, almost perfect for the setting of the beautiful scenery around.<BR>It's rustic, but totally clean &amp; the rooms are big. There are dining options very close, plus the visitor center, stores, etc. I would definitely stay there over staying outside of the park or paying the high prices at the Ahwahnee

travel1944 Apr 18th, 2003 07:35 AM

Hello- You can find more choices in accommodations under &quot;Yosemite Vacation Homes&quot; Hope this helps!

ann Apr 18th, 2003 11:37 AM

i would agree with nomopromos and isabellasu. rooms were definitely clean but by no means fancy. i noticed that the linens were in good condition, carpet was pretty new (i could tell by the new carpet smell), furniture was well maintained, although older. but definitely not dirty. i didn't feel uncomfortable staying there, and the location is the best part of it all. we stayed in february, so i can't comment on the existence and need for air conditioning.