Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Yosemite in May? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/yosemite-in-may-804330/)

ronkala Sep 2nd, 2009 07:04 PM

Yosemite in May?

We are considering a trip to Yosemite next year. Summer is preferred but to take advantage of Priority Plus seating on UAL the latest we could be there would be May 7 through May 14. Is that too early to see most of the park?

janisj Sep 2nd, 2009 07:16 PM

That is a <u>wonderful</u> time in Yosemite Valley. The waterfalls will be absolutely primo.

There is a definite chance Tioga Pass and the high country won't be open yet. Especially since this could be a wet/el nino year w/ lots of snow. But I wouldn't let that possibility stop me.

But the Valley, Wawona, etc will all be open

ElendilPickle Sep 2nd, 2009 08:12 PM

May will be fabulous - fewer tourists since school is still in session, and as janisj said the waterfalls will be booming!

Lee Ann

4sharie Sep 2nd, 2009 09:05 PM

We were there in mid-May of '06 and '08 and the waterfalls were AMAZING. I can't imagine going any other time, at least for the first few trips. Glacier Point was not open yet when we were there in '06, but WAS open in May of '08. Absolutely amazing.

kmbp Sep 3rd, 2009 07:05 AM

We were there in May several years ago, just before Memorial Day and, I agree, May seems the perfect time for a visit--waterfalls are glorious, crowds are down. Just remember to take insect repellent!

montereybob Sep 3rd, 2009 07:27 AM

You're lucky it turned out this way. May is much better than summer in Yosemite.

Dayenu Sep 3rd, 2009 09:24 AM

We were there mid-May, smaller crowds, full waterfalls, lots of greens, best time to go!

november_moon Sep 3rd, 2009 09:38 AM

We have been to Yosemite in April and May - both were great. And MUCH MUCH better than summertime. In fact, I would only go to Yosemite in the summertime if I was going to skip the valley entirely and only see the high country.

hazel1 Sep 3rd, 2009 10:54 AM

And in addition to the waterfalls, the wildflowers are fantastic at that time of year.

ronkala Sep 3rd, 2009 04:11 PM

Ok folks, you have convinced me. May it is. We haven't started looking into it yet so what do you suggest for in the park lodging? Is a week in the park enough time or too long?

We also plan on driving along the coast before going to YNP and I just checked UAL for air and an economy car for three weeks. Their IAD-SFO total cost for two with an economy car in their $50.00 off per person on airfare is $1486.13

ronkala Sep 3rd, 2009 04:13 PM

Oh, thanks for your help.

ronk

november_moon Sep 4th, 2009 08:31 AM

I actually think that a week in Yosemite may be too long. That time of year, the high country probably wont be open - they close the roads up to Toulumne Meadows at the first snow fall and then start plowing in the spring. The average opening date is May 29. So you will be able to visit Yosemite Valley and Wawona/Mariposa Grove area, but the higher elevation areas would probably be closed. I'd probably go for 4 nights.

For in park lodging, Yosemite Lodge is probably your best bet for central location and reasonable price. The Ahwanee is great, but really pricey. Curry Village has a few different types of lodging from tent cabins to motel-style rooms, but I personally don't care for Curry Village as much. The Housekeeping Camp is pretty rustic - we've stayed there several times, but it is just a small step above camping so you need to bring a bunch of gear to be comfortable.

hazel1 Sep 4th, 2009 12:27 PM

I agree with november moon - 4 nights at Yosemite Lodge would be just about perfect.

ronkala Sep 4th, 2009 06:46 PM

I don't know what I was thinking when I mentioned priority plus. I meant Economy Plus with UAL. I also cut the trip back to two weeks but can add a day or two if needed.

DW would like to see Redwood NP, so I thought we would drive up there after our 11:00 a.m. arrival at SFO. Spend the next day in the park and then head south to Ventura along the coast. I'm thinking five days to get to Ventura and then go to Sequoia NM and Sequoia NP for two days. That leaves about three and a half days at YNP.

I haven't looked into Sequoia yet so I'm not sure how much time is needed there.

checkin Sep 7th, 2009 05:55 AM

We (my wife and I) will be visiting Yosemiye for the first time in mid-May. The comments add to the excitement! Thank you all. We have not booked lodging and prefer house rental by owner. We enjoy decks, hot tub, views. Any recommendations are appreciated. We realize we will probably need to stay outside the park and thay's okay with us.