Yosemite in late October

Search

Yosemite in late October

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite in late October

I will be visiting the USA from mid October to mid November, but want to spend a few days in Yosemite, before going on to visit relations in Denver. I love hiking, but know that it's starting to cool down a little by mid to late October. Never having seen bears, I'm very wary of that prospect, but am also aware that with the tourist season almost over, it may not be possible to go on organised tours through Yosemite. Can anyone give me some ideas of how to best spend a few days based in Yosemite from mid - late october.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:54 AM

Bears are not really that much on an issue in Yosemite (the way they are in, say Glacier) as long as you store any food overnight in the available bear lockers (and not in your car or cabin).

Some of the shuttles would not be running, but I think the main shuttle loop inside the Valley is still running. It's possible (but not likely) that the Glacier Point Road could close due to snowfall. However if you stay in Yosemite Valley you will still find plenty of hikes to do year round.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 12:44 PM

My first trip to Yosemite was during the first week of November. The waterfalls were pretty slim and the rivers and creeks were low, but the fall colors were really gorgeous. I would not hesitate to go at that time. It will probably be a mix of moderate to cool (possibly cold at night) temperatures, but if you bring layers, you can adjust.

I've been camping in the Sierras my entire life, including several trips to Yosemite, and have yet to see a bear. Lots of people have seen them because they are definitely around, but I have been lucky or unlucky depending on your perspective - LOL. We are going again soon, so I probably just jinxed myself

If you like to bike ride, you can rent bikes to tour the valley - this is a really neat thing to do because of the good network of bike paths. You rarely have to ride on the road with cars.

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:27 PM

We have been camping in Yosemite for over 30 years. I'd say we didn't start seeing bears in Yosemite till the last 6 - 8 years or so. In the last several years we've seen bears in the Yosemite campgrounds and once I saw a bear just strolling down the path as we rode the Yosemite Valley shuttle.

If you stay to the popular paths, I don't think you will have any bear issues. They usually come out at night.

I'd plan on staying in Yosemite Valley and do hikes like Vernal Falls and Mirror Lake. Take a day trip to the high country if the snow hasn't closed it yet. Usually doesn't happen till November, but not impossible to happen earlier.

Utahtea

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

I thank you very much for all you very helpful information. I love riding bicycles - ride 12 kms every day getting to work & home again, but right now I'm nursing a broken wrist from a fall when my bicycle tyre got got in the train tracks. So everyone gets a laugh out of that idea. But seriously, that really sounds like a great idea and I look forward to doing that.