Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   yosemite in July (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/yosemite-in-july-668160/)

kbouvette Jan 7th, 2007 07:03 PM

yosemite in July

We are looking to go to Yosemite in July.
We are a family of 5.
Will be there for 6 days.
Looking at Yosemite Valley for 3 nights.
?? Fly into Sacremento and do Gold Country the other days -- maybe Tahoe 1 day
?? Fly into Fresno and do King's Canyon and Sequoia

Suzie Jan 7th, 2007 07:11 PM

It's hard to understand your post. Are you askinig if you should fly to Sacto and then do gold country and then Yosemite and then Sequoia or are you asking if you should fly into Fresno and do Yosemite and Sequoia?

You could fly into Reno and go to Tahoe. Then you can drive to Yosemite either via 395 and Tioga Pass or drive through the southern gold country and to Yosemite. Is this what you are asking?

janisj Jan 7th, 2007 07:12 PM

Definitely fly into Sacramento. Much cheaper fares and many more choices of airlines.

If you get into Yosemite Lodge or elsewhere in the Valley, 3 nights is a decent length of time for YNP. But I might do things this way:

Fly into SMF, spend one day/night somewhere along hwy 49 in the gold country (Plymouth, Sutter Creek, Mariposa or several other places), 3 nights in YNP, the take Tioga Pass road out through the high country and hit Tahoe from the south. 2 day/nights at Tahoe and drive from there back to SMF to fly out.

janisj Jan 7th, 2007 07:15 PM

was posting the same time as suzie. Yes - Reno is definitely another option and would also be better than Fresno . . . . .

Suzie Jan 7th, 2007 07:44 PM

LOL janisj we sure were posting at the same time.

Here's one possible route:

Fly into Reno, visit Thaoe. Leave Tahoe via 50 west, 89 to 88 to 49. You can Choose from any or all of the following along 49:
Jackson, San Andreas, Columbia, Sonora & Jamestown. Just off 49 on 4 is Murphys and Arnold and just off 49 on 108 is Twain Harte.

Then take 120 into Yosemite. from Yosemite take Tioga Pass out to 395 and drive back to rReno for the flight home. July will be hot hot hot in the foothills and Yosemite Valley.

kbouvette Jan 8th, 2007 04:15 AM

Thank you so much

One other question
I have reservations for Ahwahnee in July and will call to try to get into the lodge via cancellations
I have reservatons at the Lodge in August

I was avoiding August hoping the falls would be more robust in July

We are from Oklahoma so the temps will be cooler no matter

Do you agree early July is better than mid August?

J62 Jan 8th, 2007 04:24 AM

More important than July vs Aug is whether you can get lodging in the valley. Both the Lodge and Awahnee typically sell out 365d in advance.

Take what you can get and enjoy. Waterfalls will still be flowing in Aug, although in a dry year they will definitely be less. You can't predict the difference a few weeks will make tho.

janisj Jan 8th, 2007 05:52 AM

When I recommended the Lodge it was only because most folks blanch when they see the Ahwahnee's room rates. If you already have booked there - and if it fits in your budget - then DEFINITELY keep your Ahwahnee reservation.

J_Correa Jan 8th, 2007 08:23 AM

Yes - if the Awhaunee is in your budget, then absolutely stay there. It is MUCH nicer than the lodge.

kimamom Jan 8th, 2007 08:25 AM

The Ahwahnee Hotel is gorgeous, we had brunch there on New Year's Day. I think you will enjoy it very much and it is in a great location in the park. :)

Where are you staying in Sequoia? The Sequoia-Montecito Lodge is very nice for lodging there. You may want to purchase a National Park Pass for $80 when you go to Yosemite. Have fun! ***kim*** ((f))

FainaAgain Jan 8th, 2007 08:38 AM

I agree with Tahoe vs Sequoia recomendations. While King's Canyon is gorgeous, it's very much like Yosemite, while Tahoe is a different scenery.

kbouvette Jan 8th, 2007 11:40 AM

You all have been great help in finalizing my planning.
I am very gracious.
I'll book Sacramento (which is $100 cheaper per ticket) then to Tahoe and Yosemite in July.

Thank you,

Kim