Yosemite in a day with a senior, after that...Tahoe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mid August, I will be spending the night in Fish Camp at the Teneya Lodge, going through Yosemite in a day and after that up to North Tahoe for 3 nights. We have a party of 3, including 2 seniors and 1 small dog as well, so no hiking. Any recommendations would be extremely appreciated.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 10:58 AM

Please be more specific on what you want recommendations about.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 11:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Take a picnic lunch with you and drive to Glacier Point. You can sit there and enjoy the awesome view while you eat with little walking required.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I would spend 3 days in Yosemite and one at North Tahoe even if I had to spend 2 nights in a tent at Yosemite.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 11:59 AM

There are free shuttles in Yosemite, so you don't have to hike. The map is on the NPR website.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 05:46 PM

The dog is going to restrict you more than the Seniors in Yosemite. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/pets.htm

I agree with tomfuller about spending more time in Yosemite that North Tahoe, but not with a dog.

Your bet bet is to drive to Yosemite Valley and see the falls from the main road. There are places to park to see both Bridal Veil Falls and Yosemite Falls just off the main road before you reach Yosemite Village. I would take a lunch to enjoy. You might take turns (someone watch the dog and others go for the walk) the short distances to both of the falls.

As you exit the park make sure you stop at Omlsted Point. Here is the list of viewpoints that can be seen from the road: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Utahtea
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 06:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually - w/ the dog, your division of time is just about dictated. You can't stay in Curry Village/Yosemite Lodge/etc., can't take the shuttles, and you can't leave the dog in the car. So you are pretty much stuck.

So drive through, ooh and aah, then head on to Tahoe -- and then start planning a future trip to Yosemite w/o the dog.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM

Not sure how far North Tahoe is from Fish camp via Yosemite; but I suggest to drive to Glacier point - as it provides best view with least (hiking) efforts. You must take a picture at Tunnel view on the way to yosemite valley from fish camp.

You may skip the valley entirely to save time, and drive thru Tioga pass to highway 395 to Lake Tahoe.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 07:36 PM

ansh said: You may skip the valley entirely to save time, and drive thru Tioga pass to highway 395 to Lake Tahoe.

Coming from Fish Camp to get to Tioga Pass, they only have to add 9 miles to do the whole Yosemite Valley...I would hope they would have enough time to see this.

It's been a while since I've been to Glacier Point, but I remember you have to take a short trail to the overlook from the parking area. They all won't be able to do this at the same time because of the dog and the pet restrictions. The road to Glacier Point will be a little over 30 miles round trip and figure at least an hour round trip.

Utahtea
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 08:33 PM

I agree w/ utahtea. Glacier Point is a complete non-starter. Not possible w/ the dog and time involved. But a loop drive through the Valley is possible.

But you are looking at a looooong day. Fish Camp > into Yosemite Valley and then over Tioga Pass to northshore is over 250 miles and will easily take 6.5 hours JUST for the drive. Could be 7+ hours. Not counting any Photo stops, meals, breaks. Basically it is an all day drive
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You will probably had to spend the night somewhere in route to Lake Tahoe. If your are going over Tioga Pass, then somewhere like Bridgeport or Lee Vining. The day will be much too long to see and enjoy Yosemite AND get to Tahoe.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 05:20 AM

Throw the dog off Glacier Point.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 05:23 AM

Seriously, what about kenneling the dog and spending two days at Yosemite. You can even take a tram ride through Maripossa Grove to see the Giant Trees. To see Yosemite Falls and Bridal Veil Falls is not really a hike. More like a short walk, IMOP. From the parking lot to either is about 10 minutes. Sunday Brunch or any meal in The Awahnee is worthwhile. I think it is the most beautiful place that I have ever been to.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 10:19 AM

to add to spirobulldog's last statement about putting the dog in a kennel:

DNC Parks & Resorts at Yosemite operates a dog kennel in Yosemite Valley from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Written proof of immunizations (rabies, distemper, parvo, and Bordetella) must be provided. Dogs must be at least 20 pounds (smaller dogs may be considered if you provide a small kennel). You can get more information about the kennel by calling 209/372-8348.

Utahtea
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 10:26 AM

But reading the OP -- it looks like the plan is not to spend additional time in YNP and they have lodging booked at Northshore. In less than a month. So finding rooms in Yosemite Valley and staying longer really probably isn't an option.

I think they are just asking what to see enroute. Is it an ideal plan -- no. But that may be what they have to work w/
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 09:12 AM

The main problem with the "drive-through" suggestions is that the Valley is quite often literally grid-locked with traffic during the peak summer season, and finding a parking space, should one actually want to get out of the car and walk, say to see Lower Yosemite Falls (no hiking involved) is all but impossible.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Two seniors and a dog? Tell us more about the seniors. What kind of shape are they in - are they physically limited or are you just making an assumption? In Yosemite you will see many seniors on the trails.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM

I think the OP may have left the bldg ?? . . .