Yosemite hikes mid November

Old Nov 18th, 2013, 08:50 AM
J62
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite hikes mid November

I will be in Yosemite next week, before Thanksgiving for 3 full days.

Day 1 I plan to visit Wawona/Sequoia groves and do a nice hike there.

Day 2 & 3 I'll be in the valley and am looking for hike recommendations. The hikes I'm considering are these, all of which are strenuous. I'd do one of these, not them all this trip.

1. Mist trail, 6-7 mile moderate hike
http://www.everytrail.com/guide/the-...d-nevada-falls.

2. 4 mile trail up to Glacier point & back., ~up to 10mi round trip
http://www.everytrail.com/guide/4-mile-trail-yosemite. If I can hitch a ride up to Glacier point I'd do a 1way hike down, but shuttle no longer runs. I also believe the Glacier point road is now closed. I don't feel compelled to hike all the way to the top, and will be happy with just a vigorous 1 day hike 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up & back

3. Upper Yosemite falls - ~ 6mi round trip
http://www.everytrail.com/guide/uppe...mite-fall-hike. The falls are dry.

The weather in the valley is supposed to be nice. High in the 50's for the next week+. Obviously colder & possible icy conditions the higher up I go.

So for you hikers out there, which of these 3 trails would you recommend? I will also have time for the usual, more casual valley floor hikes, eg Mirror Lake.
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 09:51 AM

You might not be able to hike up to Glacier Point. Rain is finally supposed to come this week, and it might translate as snow in higher elevations.
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 01:28 PM
J62
Original Poster

I'll be prepared for snow/ice hiking, so I don't intend to let weather limit me. Within safe reason, of course.
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 06:04 PM

I love doing the mist trail to Vernal Falls, but I haven't done the other two. My teenage boys did Nevada Falls right after a snowfall in May one year and said it wasn't to bad. I guess it will depend on how much snow we get with this system. You might want to check with the rangers to see what is open.

Either way it should be beautiful after a snow fall and the falls should be going a little.

Utahtea
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 05:08 PM

The mist trail hike is a must. I assune the valley shuttle is in operation to get you to the starting point at Happy Isles.

Better yet,If you are able to hitch a ride to Glacier Point you can hike back down via the Panorama trail, (not the Four Mile Trail), which connects to Nevada Falls/Mist Trail . Mostly down hill

You should have enough energy left to climb to the top of Yosemite Falls the next day. Long ,easy ,but tiring because of all the switch-backs

Hope the weather is good.

I suggest you check out the Yosemite view-cams ,and the weather report before departing.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 06:05 PM
J62
Original Poster

thanks all! Appreciate the perspectives.

Valley shuttle is in operation, and will run to all stops unless there is significant snowfall which isn't forecast any time soon.

I'll scope out GP on my way from Wawona into the valley, then if it's open see if I can hitch a ride up there one of the following days.
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 06:52 PM

I agree with don about the Panorama Trail from Glacier Point down to the Valley via Nevada and Vernal Falls. It is a lovely hike. If the weather permits and the shuttle up to Glacier Point is running, I would do it.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 01:45 AM

You better recheck the weather as the time get's closer. Weather prediction in our area is really only good one day out and even that isn't guaranteed!

Utahtea
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 11:30 PM
J62
Original Poster

Just wrapped up 3 great days at Yosemite. Weather was fantastic - sunny & high in the 50's each day. No chain restrictions on any of the main roads. Glacier Point and Tioga Pass roads are closed for the season.

Saturday: Flew into Fresno via Vegas late & stayed in Fresno

Sunday: Got up early, ~1hr drive to Yosemite. Got to Sequoia grove before the crowds & hiked the entire grove - total of about 8 miles, easy walk. Drove to Yosemite Valley & lunched at an overlook approaching the valley. Stayed at a heated cabin with bath in Curry Village. General store was open 9am-7pm but there was no food service at Curry open, so went over to the bar at Yosemite Lodge for dinner.

Monday: Big hike day. Wanted to get to Glacier Point, but since the road was closed I hiked up 4mi Trail. Was on the trail at dawn and didn't see a single soul for 3 hrs. There was a little snow on parts of the trail above 6000', but didn't need to wear my spikes. Carried poles with me but found they slowed me down and I didn't need them. Lingered in the sun for a while at Glacier Point, then headed back down Panorama trail past Nevada & Vernal Falls. Total about 15 miles & 4000' elevation gain, the hardest part was the steps down past the falls on the Mist trail.

Tuesday: A little later start, legs a little stiff from Monday. Hiked up to the top of Yosemite Falls. Once going legs were happy again. Only a trickle of water flowing over the falls. Most of the hike up was in full morning sun, so doffed layers one by one as I warmed up. After a snack at the top of the falls overlook, went another 1mi further to Yosemite Point for more great views of Half Dome, then hoofed it back down. About 100 switchbacks each way, and much of the trail is uneven rock surface, so very hard on the ankles, and difficult to get a good pace going. Logged another 9 miles.

All in all a Great trip to Yosemite. Got to do all the hikes I wanted. Cold at night - around 30 in the valley. Not crowded at all. Bumped into the same people a few days running. When there aren't a lot of people on the trails you stop and say hi to anyone you pass, so easy to recognize faces. Could not have asked for a better visit.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 07:03 AM

Thanks for sharing your hiking details with us. I just love that Panorama Trail Hike. How nice that you got to do what you wanted without the crowds.
Old Nov 28th, 2013, 12:37 PM

Congratulations on completing all those hikes in 3-days.
You must be in great shape.
Glad to hear you were able to include the Panorama trail.
Happy Thanksgiving.