Yosemite Bug Lodge???

Aug 16th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Erin

Yosemite Bug Lodge???

I know the name sounds strange, but has anyone stayed here? It actually looks pretty nice on the web site. It's in Midpines which is in between Mariposa and El Portal on Hwy 140. Trying to find something fairly reasonable, since we plan to spend our time out & about during the day. I know the preferred area is inside Yosemite Valley, but I'm having a hard time justifying those prices. The Bug Lodge is quoting $50 for a room w/shared bath and $75 for private bath. Plus there's a shuttle into Yosemite, so if I can be a passenger & enjoy the scenery maybe the ride in will not be so bad. They also have a restaurnat onsite, which sounds good. This is for late August. Yes, there seem to be lots of cancellations for Yosemite Lodge, Wawona, etc. so that's still an option. Yosemite View Lodge is running $155, which is out of our budget. What do you think?

Aug 17th, 2002, 08:25 AM
x

We stayed in a tent there a few years ago and left early because it was loud and packed with college kids. The restaurant/bar is open late and really got loud when we were trying to sleep. If you are in college and want to meet other college kids, it would be great! If you are a serious hiker and want to sleep - not so good. We moved to the KOA down the road and it was much quieter (the KOA does have some cabins). We were there in July. I'm sure it is quieter at other times of the year.

Aug 18th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Erin

Thanks very much for your info. I am going with my teenage daughter, so I too would be very disappointed if I paid $75 for a room and was subjected to late-night party-type activities. I knew there was a restaurant but wasn't aware there was a bar. Thanks for the tip on KOA--I didn't realize they had cabins, which is what we are looking for. I am contacting them to check availability, because I belive it might be a more family-type atmosphere. Looks like KOA is in the same vicinity as the Yosemite Bug Lodge, which means there's a shuttle into the park. Sounds very good--thanks again!

Aug 20th, 2002, 06:31 PM
x

Also, two caveats about the KOA cabins. First, I think you have to bring your own sleeping bags or linens. Second, I don't think they have private bathrooms. It wasn't a big deal to us because we were camping, but it might make a difference to you. It looks like those rooms with the private baths at the Bug Lodge are new since we were there - they could be more out of the way and quiet. Good luck!

Search this Thread