Yosemite and Sequoia, do both?

Jun 17th, 2001, 12:08 PM
sheryl

Yosemite and Sequoia, do both?

Still working out details on trip to N. Cal. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. After reading messages here,I'm thinking of keeping San Fran, Yo.NP,& Napa plans and skipping Sequoia so we can add Big Sur and Sanoma. Need driving times, routes, under $100 rooms and must see sites. Will I miss too much by x'ing Sequoia? Is Muir woods a good substitute. Would like variety on this trip, any sugestions? Thanks!!

Jun 17th, 2001, 12:35 PM
kam

Just north of Yosemite if you drive up route 49 is Calaveras State Big Trees with pretty sequoia trees. It's not quite the same, but will give you an idea. Muir Woods is nice, but quite small and full of people. You don't gain a whole lot by going to both Napa and Sonoma wine countries. I would choose between the two and my personal choice would be Sonoma. You don't say how much time you have to spend, but Big Sur is quite remote from the rest of the things you have listed. Lodging under $100 is very difficult. I think the only possibility is going to be the Motel 6/ Days Inn type places. One route you can look at would be taking 41 south from Yosemite across the San Joaquin Valley to 46 through Paso Robles and then over the mountains to Cambria. From Cambria drive north through Big Sur. It'll take a bit of time to do this, but will give you a feel for the diverse scenery in California. Remember distances are long, driving times often more than you might think. You want to relax and enjoy and you can always come back.

Jun 17th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Suzie

That's alot to pack in but I can understand why. I can't determine how long you have for this but I'll jump on the ideas Kam threw out. Last summer we did Yosemite, stayed in Fish camp and then onto Monterey. We left Yosemite in the am and got to Monterey to do the aquarium and the beach. It wasn't a bad drive at all. There is no real scenery on that leg of the trip so you can drive straight through. Are you starting in SF? If so do SF, then to Sonoma, onto Yosemite and then the coast and back to SF. You really won't miss Sequoia as you will have seen some beautiful stuff already. Kam's right, don't do both Sonoma and Napa in this one trip.

Jun 19th, 2001, 07:08 AM
sheryl

Thanks for your valuable info, every bit helps!!

Search this Thread