Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Yosemite Accommodations (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/yosemite-accommodations-447982/)

mavip Oct 23rd, 2008 04:54 PM

Yosemite Accommodations

We cannot afford to stay at the Ahwanee Hotel and I have heard pretty awful things about the other option(Yosemite Lodge at the Falls) nearest the valley floor in the park. Does anyone have a good,clean suggestion for some place to stay not too far from the major sightseeing parts of the parkand one that will not "break the bank"? Does anyone know Yosemite West High Sierra Bed and Breakfast?

Suzie Oct 23rd, 2008 05:02 PM

I've stayed at the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls several times and I read those reviews which I totally do not get. I am a really picky person but I realize what I'm getting when I go to Yosemite. I'm getting a room in one of the most beautiful areas of our country. I think people think they are getting a 4 star hotel and then bitch about the Lodge at the Falls which is always very clean and comfortable if not exactly elite.

I haven't stayed at Yosemite West but you might look into Yosemite View just outside the west entrance and about 20 minutes or so to the valley. It's located on the Merced River.

J62 Oct 23rd, 2008 05:16 PM

To me nothing beats actually staying in the Valley. The Yosemite lodge isn't a luxury hotel, but the location is fantastic. The Valley is THE major sightseeing part of the park - and everything else is a drive.

cabovacation Oct 23rd, 2008 06:45 PM

I agree about Yosemite Lodge. It is just fine.

Last month we could not get rooms there and ended up staying in Mariposa at the Mariposa Lodge - clean and cheap and totally like an old motel. But it is a half hour drive into the Valley.

janisj Oct 23rd, 2008 07:34 PM

Yosemite Lodge is absolutely fine. Many reviews on TA and others are by folks just tooooooo jaded and spoiled to appreciate the "specialness" of staying right on the Valley floor. They want Four Seasons amenities in a wilderness. For people who kvetch about Yosemite lodge - please stay home and leave more bookings open for the rest of us.

mavip: Don't give up staying in Yosemite Valley to get special toiletries, turn down service and/or posh linens. You will miss out on a lot . . . . .

mavip Oct 25th, 2008 12:38 PM

Thank you all sooo much. We are going to try to get a reservation there. Do we need one night or two nights?

november_moon Oct 26th, 2008 12:30 PM

2 nights. Longer if you can.

annabelle2 Nov 17th, 2008 02:45 PM

I agree - stay in the valley. Two nights for sure.

I used to go to Yosemite at least twice a year, and if I wasn't camping, my favorite place to stay was one of the little cabins "w/o bath" at Yosemite Lodge. They no longer exist (torn down now, partly due to flooding, but also due to being able to get more bang for the tourist buck at the Lodge).

Anyway - the Lodge is fine. Even my picky mother liked it (although there was a wee little mouse in her room). She couldn't get over being so near Yosemite Falls, and seeing wildlife right outside. Try for a second floor room.

To enjoy the gorgeous Ahwahnee w/out staying there, go over in the evening, wander around & then have a drink in the bar. Or go for breakfast. If you are there in warm weather, have a drink at the outside bar overlooking the lush lawn (although the whole idea of lawns in a National Park always seems odd).

As I recall, there are signs saying the Ahwahnee lobby area is for hotel guests; forgive me, hotel management, but if you are discreet it is certainly fine to walk around and take in the unique design of this classic hotel.

mlgb Nov 17th, 2008 03:19 PM

I don't recall seeing any such signs in the Ahwahnee lobby, but could be wrong. Anyone else remember them?

At any rate I can't imagine that it is enforced since the bar, gift shop and restaurant are open to the public.

paula1470 Nov 17th, 2008 03:27 PM

I stayed at the Yosemite West Condos but not the B&B. We picked this because everything else reasonably priced was booked. I would suggest staying right on the valley floor if you can but if that doesn't work out, we didn't mind the drive between the valley and Yosemite West. That way we were still inside the park. The condos have a little kitchen which is nice.

annabelle2 Nov 17th, 2008 03:42 PM

mlgb, I was last there about five or so years ago and there were these small, kind of subtle signs near the entry ways to the large lobby with all the couches and the huge fireplace, to the side of the main dining room. Not the lobby/check-in area near the front door, or the gift shop area, etc.

Probably a ploy to get soggy campers (oops - guilty!) from cozying up on the couches by the fire for an evening of reading...