Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Yo Lodge-Tioga Pass-Yo lodge in 1 day?
Notices

Yo Lodge-Tioga Pass-Yo lodge in 1 day?

Jan 18th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Yo Lodge-Tioga Pass-Yo lodge in 1 day?

We have reservations at Yosemite Lodge Wednesday to Sunday in early August and will be traveling from the Oakland airport by way of Tracy CA. We wondered if a trip to Mono Lake is a killer drive for one day. Accomodations seem minimal and Tioga Pass Resort does not respond to email or even pre-paid snail mail. We would like to have dinner at the Ahwahnee but the guidebook doesn't mention reservations. Can we request a great table? and how would be describe such a table. We were told the Sunday brunch is really nice. We are planning to eat at the Lodge for dinner -- reservations? We are from the New Orleans area and of course food is paramount... HA
We are a couple in our 60s and in pretty good shape but are guessing that rafting would be a "cold water" event even in August! Is the river rated for rafting?
We ALWAYS find the BEST help on the forum and are appreciative in advance of your input and advise.
I will post a trip report when we get back...
Jan 18th, 2013, 07:54 AM

Tioga Pass will probably be closed until late May.
http://www.monobasinresearch.org/data/tiogapass.htm
Try to call before you leave home about your reservations.
I don't know how long you will be able to spend at Mono before you have to head back to Yosemite.
There are a few places to stay over on the US 395 side without driving back into the setting sun. You don't want to be driving after dark over the Tioga Pass IMO.
Jan 18th, 2013, 09:11 AM

You do need a reservation for Brunch and the evening meal at The Awahnee. Jacket is required for men at night, but not at brunch. I've just had the Brunch and it was great. Their regular lunch menu and breakfast looked good too. I think any of the tables are fine there.

A lot of people really like Yosemite Falls Lodge at Dinner too. Although, I would imagine Yosemite Falls would likely be dry by that time, so the view might not be that big of a deal.
I haven't eaten there at all.

We did have a lunch and also dinner at The Wawonna and enjoyed it also. If you are going to Maripossa Grove(which I certainly hope you would), then you might consider a meal there too.

Finally, oddly enough, there is a pizza place(I think it was kindof upstairs) in Yosemite that was really good pizza. Maybe it was just because we had hiked so much, but we like it.
Jan 18th, 2013, 10:24 AM

I think you will be fine for spending a day at Mono Lake for one of yours days at Yosemite. You should maybe think about doing this on your Saturday as weekends are busier at the park but the eastern Sierra is vast and not as busy. Leave early, take in the sights along the way, spend your day in the eastern Sierra then make your way back late afternoon since daylight is long and twilight lingers that time of year. We stay in Mammoth Lakes and have done day trips from there to Yosemite Valley so it really is doable.

Search this Thread