Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Yellowstone questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/yellowstone-questions-29516/)

anna Jul 28th, 1998 09:45 AM

Yellowstone questions

Planning to head to Yellowstone from Illinois early June 1999. Will be camping in a Coleman pop-up. How early must one make campsite reservations (will be stopping in SD also--Badlands, Mt. Rushmore,etc.) in the national parks, and how cold does it get at night in June? Where are good places to camp? Suggestions for good websites on these areas? Other good places to take kids (ages 10, 12, 15)? Had a very successful trip to Europe this year based of Fodor's forum advice, hope we can do the same for the American West next year.

kam Jul 28th, 1998 02:43 PM

Don't know anything about Yellowstone and have never been there but feel bad that nobody's answered so far. The National Park Service has a website---I think it'www.nps.com but am not totally sure. If not, use a search engine for National Parks--from there I'm sure you can get a website. Also, if you belong to AAA you can start with them as this will be a driving trip. Good luck. <BR>

Dayle Jul 28th, 1998 08:11 PM

The park service web site should help. I have spend a lot of time up there, it's one of my favorite places! Yellowstone in June is nice, but you do have a chance of rain and cold nights. Mid- to late June is when the wildflowers come out, be sure to take a macro focusing lens for your camera!! Nothing else will do them justice! As far as I know, Yellowstone doesn't take camping reservations. It's first come, first served. If you time your arrival for early morning, you will get a place. The two campgrounds nearest to the Old Faithful Geyser Basin are Grant Village and West Thumb. Be sure to take enough time to tour the entire park. It's BIG and beautiful. See the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, the falls will be awesome in June. Be sure to drive on down to Teton Nat'l Park and Jackson Hole. You will want at least a couple days there. In Teton Nat'l Park, the Coulter Bay campground is the biggest, and therefore, easiest to get in. Forget Jenny Lake campground, very small and the most beautiful and crowded with climbers. Go to a chuck wagon dinner and show. There are several and they are lots of fun! Whitewater raft on the Snake River with your boys, they will love it! (Make reservations ahead - many companies to choose from.) Also, since you are going into Yellowstone from the east, stop in Cody, WY and see the Buffalo Bill museum. Greatest collection of western art in the world and the Winchester gun collection too. Interesting even to a female, like me. You will see all kinds of wildlife if you are quiet and slow. Take lots of film and have a great time! <BR>

Dayle Jul 28th, 1998 08:15 PM

PS: When coming into Yellowstone from the east, you will first come to the Fishing Bridge campground. Great fishing here for both people and grizzly bears! In the past, tent camping was not allowed at this area because of the grizzly problem. The park service web site should give you current info. I don't know what the regs are for a tent-trailer. <BR>

Paul Rabe Jul 29th, 1998 09:24 AM

If you have ANY question about Yellowstone, the place to go is <BR> <BR>www.yellowstone-natl-park.com <BR> <BR>This guy is a PSYCHOPATH [just joking -- I think] about this place, but all of us can benefit from his obsession! Anyway, here is some info from his site. <BR> <BR> <BR>The Following list of Campgrounds are all located inside Yellowstone National Park. Most sites are first come first serve basis and others are reservations only. Please note that fees are subject to change and there is a fourteen day camp site limit. All sites are run by the National Park Service unless otherwise noted. This information is taken from the National Park Service pamphlet. Please be aware that the weather is still cool at night. A note to first time Yellowstone Campers - The weather changes quickly. Winds at Yellowstone can be quite harsh, if your tent is not good in the wind - be warned. Also there are frequent <BR>thunderstorms, so when you leave your site to go tour the park, leave your site prepared for rain. Be prepared and have fun!

Wendy Jul 29th, 1998 03:27 PM

Just returned from Yellowstone on July 23. We camped at Fishing Bridge (the only full hook-up campground and they do take reservations). We booked our site about 4 months in advance. Had a great time. Nights were cool, days got hot!! Enjoyed a chuck wagon cook-out one evening. YOu can make reservations in the camp store at Fishing Bridge for this activity and others. <BR> <BR>We stayed in Hill City, SD at a very nice campground just a few minutes from Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park. It was called Rafter J Ranch. They offer trail rides on the premises. Custer State park has camping sites but you have to be self-contained. No hook-ups.