Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Yellowstone-OFI room or Lake Yellowstone Frontier Cabin

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have our detailed itinerary yet - but want to secure rooms for this summer. We're entering the park from the east - with one night at a Roosevelt Lodge cabin. From there we might go around the West Thumb area of Lake Yellowstone, explore Old Faithful & probably Monmouth - staying 2 additional nights. We'll exit through the west side of the park. Based on availability and number in our party (5) - I think my options could be a mid-range room w/ bath at OFI OR a Frontier Cabin at Lake Yellowstone. I'm partial to the cabin experience, but there is so much history and great reports about OFI - I'm thinking we might prefer to stay at OFI to have the experience of the earlier morning or later evening when things are quieter. Thoughts?? OR...is there someplace else I should consider? We're trying to stay in the moderate price range.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 06:05 AM

I really enjoyed the Old Faithful Lodge Cabins. Great location but quieter than the Inn.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:15 AM

I believe the lake "cabin experience" is more like "ugly cold prefab looks like plywood" experience; you might want to go online and look at photos of the exact place you want. Either location is good (but the Yellowstone Lake hotel restaurant is way better, the scenery nicer, IMO, and the crowds less dense than OF).
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:16 AM

No matter what you decide, you MUST go into the OF lodge, at least to have a look; it's amazing.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Based on what is available for 5 people - I opted for the cabins at OF. Although it sounds like Lake Yellowstone is prettier, I liked the idea of being closer the hub of tours. I saw some other posts about the challenges driving in the dark with all the animals - and just seeems easier to be closer to OFI for the Yellow Bus tour or morning safari tour or whatever we decide to do. Not sure if it was the right choice - but we'll just stay rustic in the park...and enjoy some luxury in the Big Sky/Bozeman area!
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 08:44 AM
maj

If you are coming in the East Entrance you will go by Yellowstone Lake, past Hayden Valley and Canyon towards Roosevelt if I'm reading you right. This will also take you to the Mt Washburn area and across Dunraven Pass. I would do everything you want in the upper loop while you are at Roosevelt (Lamar Valley for example), then go to Mammoth and down that way to Old Faithful area. I think, with the limited time you have you made the best choice to stay at Old Faithful. It is definitely nicer at OFI in the AM and PM than during the crowded daytime hours and you can leave and venture out to the other areas you want to see during the day. Don't forget to leave some time for the Canyon area (we've stayed at Canyon and spent the day at Old Faithful and the sights along the way so it can be easily done).
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 08:45 AM

this past summer, we experience all the lodging in yellowstone except for the lake area/west thumb/grant village area of lake yesslowstone. The best out of all of them is OFI. There is an ambience at OFI that isn't present at any other location, especially in the evening at the lobby are and the deck at sunset. So I would recommend staying there.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 08:48 AM

sorry, we didn't stay at OF cabin either.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 09:16 AM

The Old Faithful Lodge cabins are nice, quiet, and convenient to everything in the geyser basin. I stayed in both the Lodge cabins and the Inn, and honestly, I preferred the Lodge cabins (which is why I will be staying there again when I return to the park this September).

To get a taste of the Old Faithful Inn ambiance, book dinner there one evening. You have to make the reservations well in advance, but it's worth it. The Old Faithful Lodge also has a decent cafeteria, but you'll want to avoid it during midday because of the crowds.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 09:37 AM

i've had dinner at the OFI twice (with years between the two) and the food either time is not that good for the price they charge
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM

I haven't stayed in OF Cabins but did visit someone and they looked like they had been redone recently. They looked much nicer from the inside than the out--after all, they are pretty old. I liked the location away from the crowds but close to OF Geyser. If you are a late night person, go out at midnight or later when there are very few people there with the geyser going off--it's kind of magical.