Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Yellowstone Nat'l Park (YNP) update, May 23, '08

May 23rd, 2008, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Culled from an article in today's Bozeman (MT) Daily Chronicle...

Dunraven Pass, between Tower Fall and Canyon will open at 8am Friday, weather permitting. (Currently we are getting lots of rain and heavy snow above 7,000' so the pass opening may be delayed.)

All other park roads are already open for the season.

The snow pack still limits access to some campsites and most trails are still covered by several feet of snow.

Additional campgrounds (unnamed in the article) also will open today and more, weather permitting, will open June 6, 13 and 21.

Artist Point at the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone also is scheduled to re-open to the public today after completion of a major restoration project.

Fishing season starts Saturday, May 24th.

For more info visit www.nps.gov/yell or call 307.344.2160 for backcountry hiking information.

Check park weather and road reports by calling 307.344.2117.

Hopefully, the above info will help some of you in your summer planning

-doo
Jun 1st, 2008, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Update, May 30, '08

I was in the park on Friday May, 30th.

Dunraven Pass was closed. This road runs between Canyon Village and Tower Roosevelt.

There is still lots of snow on the ground between Old Faithful, West Thumb, Fishing Bridge and along the road between Canyon Village and Norris. Most of the camping and picnic spots along those routes were still closed.

The Artist Point parking lot has indeed been re-done and done nicely. There are two free standing bathroom stalls there now but they were not yet open as of May 30th. Bathrooms can still be found nearby at the top of the falls.

Yellowstone Lake ice is still breaking up. But it sure is pretty while it's doing it

The Beartooth Pass is only open from Red Lodge to the Wyoming State line - it is not yet a through drive. Hopefully it'll be open all the way to Yellowstone in 10 days or so (we had heavy and late snowfalls this year) but be sure to call first or check the web and find out.

-doo
Jun 1st, 2008, 01:03 PM

I hope that the Beartooth is open because I rescheduled my flight to arrive in Billings. We will travel the beartooth on the 13th.
Jun 1st, 2008, 07:43 PM

The Beartooth Pass is now open all the way from Red Lodge to the Park.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Yep, the Beartooth is now open. In fact, I read it in the newspaper only a couple of hours after posting it's May 30th status!

Shoulda looked at the newspaper first, eh?

Of course with the rain we've been getting at 5,000' for the last several days (and forecast for the next 5 days at least) who knows what the day-to-day status is. So check road conditions first if you're going over in the next few days.

-doo
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:07 PM

beartooth hwy is closed again due to snow slides they hope to have it open again sometime the week of 6-9
[email protected]
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM

Dunraven Pass is closed as well. We leave and planned on drving the Beartooth on the 13th. Hopefully, things will warm up, dry out, and clear off by next weekend. GET THOSE SNOWPLOWS GOING JUST FOR US. lol.
Jun 8th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

What can I say but, "Springtime in the Rockies!"

My husband and a friend drove over Dunraven Pass on June 5th with no restrictions. In fact a mama grizzly and her cub crossed the road right in front of them there! They saw black bears while on the pass, too.

Things this time of year - especially with the heavy late precipitation (rain, snow, sleet, hail - you name it) - are highly changeable and sudden.

Go - and pack your flexibility along with your undies and toiletries

-doo