Yellowstone in Feb. with little kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried to find my answers on existing threads, and I'm just more mixed up than ever. We really want to see Yellowstone in the Winter. I was thinking it would be fun to split the time between the Snow Lodge and Mammoth, and I see I can still get reservations. Now I have a few other questions. First, is it a good idea to split up hotels like that? Second, we're flying from Southern California...does it matter what airport we go to? And third, I have a 7 1/2 year old and a 3 1/2 year old; am I crazy bringing them with me in the winter? We've been to the park before and we love it; but I worry about the cold, and boredom. Thanks.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 05:58 AM

You should try to fly into the area nearest the open road (West Yellowstone?). IMO, yes, they will be bored to tears after seeing the pretty frozen landscape juxtaposed with steaming thermal areas. Adults might be thrilled, esp. if they cross country ski (or like to tear around on noisy snowmobiles), but you wouldn't take little ones to do either of those. At least, not for more than a couple of hours total. It is COLD there in the winter, and roads are mostly closed. I won't mention nothing else much to do (no tv, no indoor pool), for fear of being lectured about board games, cards, books, and cocoa making them perfectly happy--you know your kids, I don't.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:12 PM

Temperature was reported to be 17 below zero in Jackson Hole and 45 below zero in West Yellowstone last week. Where is the fun?
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:28 PM

We went to Jackson Hole WY some time ago. Everyone told us it was cold...but as Northern CA residents we couldn't even imagine!

We had to buy NEW ski jackets there because the ski clothes we had brought, suitable for Tahoe, was not enough protection in WY.

My 3.5 year old would have gone ballastic since she doesn't tolerate being bundled up for very long and is always trying to pull off her ski mittens. Hope yours is better/more flexible.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 02:06 PM

hmmmm...I'm sensing a theme! Thought about Orlando?!
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

OK Thanks everyone....That is what I was afraid of. There actually is winter camping I've heard of, where you stay in Yellowstone in tents and it's all cozy. Maybe we'll do that without kids sometime. The problem with ski week is unless you ski, it's an icky time to have the kids off school. I'm pretty sure I couldn't throw a ski trip together this late date. Sigh.