Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and ?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/yellowstone-grand-tetons-and-463598/)

macksix Jul 30th, 2004 10:03 AM

Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and ??

My husband and I will be flying into SLC in late Sept (18-27) and continuing onto Grand Teton and Yellowstone for 2 nights each. We have 5 days/4 nights after that to make our way back to SLC. We will definitely hit Cody, Red Lodge, etc., but does anyone have any "not to be missed" sights that they recommend. Any suggestions are appreciated!

HowardR Jul 30th, 2004 01:51 PM

Do your realize that only spending 2 days each in Yellowstone and the Teton is a tease! And to only spend 4 of your 9 days in those 2 sites seems almost ludicrous. You asked for "not to be missed sites." Well, if you only spend 2 days in Yellowstone and the Teton, you'll miss some of the "not to be missed sites"!
Sure, the Wild West Museum in Cody is worth a half day and the Wind River Mountains to the east of the 2 parts are beautiful.....but those 2 park.....
Well, I guess I've made my point!

bob_brown Jul 30th, 2004 02:52 PM

Two days in Yellowstone sounds like one of those trips where "Big Daddy" says "OK, back in the car. You can look at the pictures when we get home."

I suppose you don't really need to stop in the Tetons. Just slow up a little driving north to Yellowstone, lean out the window, and snap a picture.

obxgirl Jul 30th, 2004 03:11 PM

Well not to put too fine a point on it, but can't you possibly add at least 2 more days in the parks? They really are the not to be missed sights in the area.

Both of the previous posters gave me excellent advice regarding GT and YS for a trip we took last month. They know their stuff.

Chatters Aug 1st, 2004 06:48 AM

Wholeheartedly agree with Bob Brown on his assessment of Grand Teton sightseeing. Slow down the car, snap a couple of shots and get on your way to Yellowstone. Recs for Lamar Valley portion (northeast quadrant).

HowardR Aug 1st, 2004 06:55 AM

Chatters, unless I am reading his comments all wrong, Bob Brown was being utterly sarcastic in his comments about snapping pictures in the Teton and moving on. (Please, Bob Brown, tell me that you were being sarcastic!)
To do that is to miss out on experiencing one of this country's great treasures, the Grand Teton.

Chatters Aug 2nd, 2004 02:01 PM

Well, if he was being sarcastic, I wasn't. The Grand Tetons are an SPECTACULAR sight, but definitely not the sightseeing that Yellowstone offers as far as diversity, wildlife, and activities. I snapped pictures of the Grand Tetons and that was pretty much it. The only reason I say this is because I DID allocated two days to Grand Tetons and it was definitely 1.5 days too long. On the other hand, I would still be at Yellowstone if I could.....

HowardR Aug 2nd, 2004 02:05 PM

Oh, Chatters did you ever miss the grandeur and joy of the Teton. To say that it's only worth a half day....no comment! The grandeur of the Teton is more than snapping a few pictures.

travellyn Aug 2nd, 2004 03:05 PM

I think the differing opinions about the Tetons are just a result of how people like to spend time in a park. If they're hikers, campers, etc, they need a few days. If they like to look at scenery, but don't have any big desire to get out into it, a few hours is fine.

HowardR Aug 2nd, 2004 03:18 PM

You have a point, travellyn. But, still, you don't have to be a camper or a "serious" hiker to be swept up by the grandeur and want to spend time in the Teton.
My point is that there is so much more to the Teton than merely gaping at this grandeur for few hours and snapping a few pictures....oh, so very much more.

audra Aug 2nd, 2004 03:33 PM

Interesting.
I have to agree with chatters.

I prefer getting the *big picture* effect. I'll probably get flamed for this (but really don't care) but in many locations I'd rather experience the full vista, full view, the total grandeur of it all. Think about it, when you hike into the *bowels* of a forest, you can't alway differentiate where you're at, unless you think about it. Same within many of the canyons. Have you ever noticed that when you are *deep* within them, many (most?) forests look alike?

Before you say it, I realize this isn't always true! However, in many canyons, forests, mountain ranges and so forth, it's what we have found on our hikes.

JMHO. (and chatters lol)

HowardR Aug 3rd, 2004 05:54 AM

I know it's different strokes for different folks, but I'm amazed that anyone can spend a mere few hours in a setting like the Grand Teton and feel that it's enough.
To not see the herd of bison and the Moulton Barn off Antelope Flats Road... To not climb to Hidden Falls en route to Inspiration Point...To not take a float trip down the Snake River...To not stroll along Leigh Lake, String Lake and Jenny Lake...To not spend time at Oxbow Bend, Snake River Overlook and other scenic points...To not view the sunrise and sunset over the Teton...To not experience at least half of these is to not truly experience the Teton.
As for me, I can only get the truly "big picture" by experiencing a whole series of little and big snapshots.

utahtea Aug 3rd, 2004 06:18 AM

macksix,

You say you are flying into SLC on Sept. 18 and flying out on Sept. 27 BUT you only have 2 NIGHTS for each park. What are you doing with the other days. It should only take one day to get to and from these parks.

If you only spend 2 nights in each park that's only ONE full day in each park and that is NOT enought time for Yellowstone! The "not to be misses" are IN the parks!!!! All the geyser areas, Mammoth Hot Springs, Tower Falls, the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, the West Thumb area, Yellowstone Lake, Hayden Valley, Mud Volcano area! It will take several days to see all of those!

Utahtea

travellyn Aug 3rd, 2004 09:17 AM

HowardR, your last post is so evocative, it really makes me miss the park! I think we did all those things you mention on our last visit. We had thought about going next week, but nixed the plan. Darn it!

macksix Aug 3rd, 2004 10:25 AM

Well, we are not into camping and we are moderate hikers, but it looks as though we might need to adjust our itinerary based on all of your comments. Thanks for your feedback.

GP Aug 3rd, 2004 10:54 AM

Hi macksix

I just got back today from 2 days in the Tetons and two days in Yellowstone. I'll do a trip report in a couple of days. I'm going to get flamed big time but 2 days in yellowstone was fine. I would not have traded any of my days in the Tetons or Glacier for more time in Yellowstone. I found Yellowstone full of wonders and LOTS OF PEOPLE. But I would stay in Yellowstone instead of Cody or Red Lodge.

Have Fun
GP

HowardR Aug 3rd, 2004 11:30 AM

macksix, I want to assure you that you don't have to be big hikers to enjoy either Yellowstone of the Teton. My wife and I are not "big" hikers (two miles is about the maximum for us), which is why I use the word "stroll" rather than "hike."
I would strongly recommend that you get a copy of Frommer's book on Yellowstone & the Grand Teton. It'll be an enormous help in your planning.
travellyn, I'm my previous posting made you yearn to return there. Hey, we were there for over a week last summer and we're yearning to return!

obxgirl Aug 3rd, 2004 11:58 AM

Two more resources for hiking in the parks. We were novices and found both of these to be very useful:

Best Easy Day Hikes in Yellowstone (Bill Schneider, Globe Pequot Press). 30 hikes ranging from 1-6 miles. We picked up a copy for $7 in a bookstore in Boulder. The same guy has a duplicate book for the Grand Tetons.

An even bigger bargain is the Dayhike Sampler you can buy for 25 cents in the Yellowstone Visitor Centers. 22 hikes, 1-6 miles, varying degrees of difficulty.

We're reasonably fit people but not big hikers by any stretch. In our 40s. We normally did a 2-3 mile hike in the morning and a shorter one in the afternoon. Twice did a 6 miler (Fairy Falls and the Beaver Ponds) and while both trips were well worth it, we spent those afternoons with a good book and a latte in the lobby of the Old Faithful Inn!

macksix Aug 4th, 2004 10:53 AM

GP,
Thanks for the message! I look forward to reading your post in a few days.

sandy49 Aug 4th, 2004 11:15 AM

Our "must see" in Yellowstone is "Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone"
In Grand Teton: Boat ride on Jenny Lake, the hike up to Inspiration point
Also Signal mountain.
We're not into whitewater rafting but we took a float trip down the Snake River.
Also, take in the town of Jackson, see their park in the middle of town.
There are many other beautiful things to see in both parks but those were highlights for us.
We didn't go to Cody so can't comment on that.
Have a great trip.