Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier Park 14 day trip Itinerary suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visiting the 3 parks in August with wife and 2 teenage kids. Flights already booked in and out of Bozeman.

Day 1. Fly into Bozeman MT
Old Faithful Lodge for 3 Nights

Day 4 Drive to Grand Teton
Coulter Bay for 3 NIghts

Day 7 Drive back to Yellowstone
Canyon Lodge for 3 Nights

Day 10 Drive towards Glacier Park East via Helena
Stay overnights somewhere along the way.

Day 11 Glacier Park East
2 Nights in some lodge on the East Side. Haven't found anything yet.

Day 13 Drive towards Glacier Park West on the Going to the Sun Road
1 Night at Lake McDonald Lodge

Day 14 Head back to Bozeman to catch return flight

Questions:
1. Drive up to WestGlacier Park via Missoula and stay somewhere near Polson on Day 10, stay Lake McDonald Lodge for a day and then drive to the East side. In which case on the way back to Bozeman probably won't be able to stop in Helena

2. Stay completely on the East side. Skip the Lake McDonald Lodge

3. Places to stay on the way to the East side past Helena.

4. Any suggestions of specific highlights to cover in the 3 places based on itienerary.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Grand Teton National Park is one of my favorites. So much wildlife to see & photograph, places to hike to, kayaking, fishing(tho I don't). I would suggest rafting down the Snake River (many outfitters in Jackson) or even better, rent a kayak and go on your own. As long as your teens can swim and wear life jackets, it is no problem. Start at Jackson Lake dam and pull out before Dead Man's Bar. Water tends to be low in August, and no real whitewater in this section. OK for beginners. Or go with outfitter, either way, a real fun experience.
Another idea is to skip Jackson Lake Lodge and stay at the Triangle X Ranch. They do rafting, horseback riding and so much more, and it is a true "western ranch experience" if you are into that sort of thing, verses a nice hotel type lodge.
If you can make it into Jackson, it is a really interesting town, plus they have our favorite game restaurant, "The Gun Barrel". Great elk and bison food served there!
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 04:59 PM

I never wrote a trip report, but these pictures might give you an idea of what we saw in Montana, and two of the three naitonal parks. The pictures follow the order of our itinerary and are geo-tagged so that with a map the itinerary can be recreated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7623117942088/
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM

When we were in Yellowstone/Jackson last August - we stopped in Butte Mt on our way to Glacier. We stayed at the Toad Hall Manor B&B and loved it - it was one of the highlights of our trip. It was a beautiful trip from there to the western side of Glacier. You can make it to Lake Mcdonald Lodge from there - it is right near the west side of Glacier. Check it out - We thought Glacier terrific although I was a little scared on Going to the Sun Road. Also, if you have time - go to the Canadian side and stay at the Prince of Wales Inn - So fabulous and nice a cool in August.
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 01:42 PM

We were just deciding what to do no vacation next summer and we think we want to spend a couple of weeks over in the Yellowstone area. 14 and 17 year old kids. Active vacation of biking, hiking, rafting, horseback riding and sightseeting. It sounds like your schedule above. We are looking to go the last two weeks of July 2011. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 08:26 AM

I am going to Glacier Mid-July. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot to do on the east side. We are renting a house in Apgar(entire family-large house). But, if I had 3 days with just our family- I would stay at Lake McDonald for a day and then Many Glacier for 2 days.

Roosevelt Lodge is a great place to stay in Yellowstone. We did enjoyr our stay at Coulter Village. Dont get the Old Faithful Lodge and The Old Faithful Inn confused--they are different places.

In all the places, carefully decided what you want to do--which hikes, rafting, horseback riding, etc. Then decide where and how long to stay at each place.

Are you driving The Beartooth HWY?
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 08:33 AM

A few miles from the east entrance of Glacier there is a wonderful Plains Indian museum; definitely worth a visit.
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 08:36 AM

The museum is in Browning, Montana.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your inputs. Was out of the country hence my being delinquent in acknowledging your responses.

Michael, FYI there is a Plains Indian museum in Cody, WY as well so thanks for the clarification.

JoanD, was originally thinking of spending one day at Prince of Wales but thought we would really be packing it in so skipped it.

Karn, Thx for the Snake River rafting tip. Will certainly look into that.

Spirobulldog, the Old Faithful Inn and Snow Lodge are sold out so had had to settle for the Old Faithful Lodge but will keep checking. And, yes, was planning to take a day and drive from Canyon Lodge down Beartooth Hwy. Don't know if that does it justice.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 09:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you don't find the lodging that you want in Glacier, you should be pleased with Meadow Lake Resort near Columbia Falls.
My wife and I stayed there about 5 years ago and were very impressed with the condo. meadowlake.com
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 06:28 AM

I know you are traveling with teens and getting up early and teens are usually mutually exclusive words but do try to get out at dawn at least once to see the wildlife. You will be amazed at how much you will see. Oh, and be sure to attend the ranger talks at the various parks, they are really informative.

I would consider driving from Yellowstone to East Glacier, Many Glacier area, and spend 3 nights there. One day I would take the Going to the Sun road over stopping for a hike at the top and then maybe a short hike on the west side then back around on Hwy 2. One day hiking around your lodging and one day going up to Waterton (providing you all have passports. I thought the east side was prettier, had better hiking and was less crowded relatively speaking.