Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Yellowstone Experts - Park Lodging Help Please (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/yellowstone-experts-park-lodging-help-please-538862/)

KathrynT Jun 23rd, 2005 12:07 AM

Yellowstone Experts - Park Lodging Help Please

I am already starting to plan our Yellowstone trip for next summer as I know lodging can fill up quickly.

Would 2 nights in the Old Faithful area, 1 night at Mammoth and 2 at Canyon make sense? We like'd like to see the main historic and natural sights and do some moderate hikes. I usually don't like to pack and unpack frequently, but I don't want to spend all of our time driving back and forth on the loops.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

cd Jun 23rd, 2005 04:14 AM

Hi Kathryn
We stayed at the Old Faithful Inn and loved it the most mainly because of the area right outside our hotel, did not have to drive anywhere as we were in the middle of it all. I would stay at the Snow lodge also as it is just behind Old Faithful Inn. The food at Old Faithful Inn was surprisingly good.

We also stayed at Canyon Lodge. The location was good for driving to other area's of interest.

If I were you, I would take at least one of those days and stay in the amazing Tetons. We liked Jackson Lake Lodge but if we to go back I would want to stay at Signal Lodge. We had lunch there on a patio overlooking the water and there were cabins there that looked awesome.

Connie Jun 23rd, 2005 08:23 AM

I don't agree that staying in the Old Faithful area is in the middle of it all and so you won't have to drive anywhere. There are many things to see that are not in that area.

You might want to stay in two places but I wouldn't stay in three places. Personally, we just stay in one central place.

cheapbutnice Jun 23rd, 2005 08:32 AM

cd had good advice-minimize packing.Why not drop Canyon, add GTNP (I loved Jackson Lake Lodge) and only do Mammoth if you need a place to crash on the first nite.

cd Jun 23rd, 2005 11:34 AM

Sorry, I did not clarify my " in the middle of it all" statement. I meant when staying at Old Faithful Inn (or Snow Lodge) You do not have to drive to the geysers, you can hike to them all day and even get up at night to see Old Faithful go off as it is so close. You can even see Old Faithful from the second floor balcony in the Old Faithful Inn. Sorry for that not being clear.

caniac Jun 23rd, 2005 01:49 PM

"Would 2 nights in the Old Faithful area, 1 night at Mammoth and 2 at Canyon make sense?"

That is exactly what we did and I thought it was perfect. We stayed the 1st 2 nights in Canyon, 1 night in Mammoth, and then 2 nights in Old Faithful. If you can book this arrangement, then I would go ahead and do so. Are you flying or driving to the area?

KathrynT Jun 23rd, 2005 03:47 PM

Thank you all for your replies. We are driving to the area and will also visit GTNP beforehand.

Caniac, I'm glad you liked those arrangements. It seems that there is so much to do in each area. With the road closures from time to time and traffic, I'm thinking we want to spend as little time on the road backtracking as possible. We'll just have to pack lightly!