Yellowstone and Idaho Falls lodging

Old May 4th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone and Idaho Falls lodging

We are planning 4 days / 5 nights in Yellowstone (flying to Idaho Falls) May 28 - June 2. The first and the last nights will have to be in Idaho Falls, and the other 3 - in Yellowstone or nearby. Car rented from the airport. What lodging could you recommend ?
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:00 PM

Try for in the park. If they say they are full, call and keep calling they get cancelations all the time.
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Yellowstone is a very large park. Look at a map and pick the areas of most interest; Geysers, wildlife, waterfalls.

Then try for inpark lodging in two or three places and as emolloy wrote, call, call, call.
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:23 PM

Emalloy is right - in the park is the only place to stay - it is huge. Do some serious reading and planning to get the most out of it. Best Westerns, Holiday Inn/Express are clean and decent usually with okay prices.
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:51 PM

Old Faithful
Lake Hotel
and Roosevelt Lodge were our favorite lodges. Canyon is in a good location.

Mammoth area is my least favorite.

Perhaps stay one night in Tetons. Many lodges to pick from there. Jackson Lake, Signal Mtn.,Colter Village, and more.
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:48 PM

If you can't get anything in the park--stay in West Yellowstone. You will have more driving and will have to back track, but other than Mammoth, its the closest town to the park.
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

I reserved a hotel in West Yellostone for the time being, if I cannot find anything decent in the park itself. How long it would be to drive from West Yellostone to places of interest in the Yellostone and Tetons ?
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:59 PM

Driving in Yellowstone is somewhat difficult to predict. You are almost always guaranteed to stop several times along the way for wildlife "jams" and wildlife spottings. You will find yourself stopping at many impromtu wildlife spottings.

But, you are probably looking at anywhere from 1-2 hours to most of the major spots. Driving is not a bad thing though. Its the best park to spot wildlife from your car.

Keep trying for cancellations. It is fine to be at a different spot each night, IMOP.
Old May 9th, 2012, 06:45 AM

In Idaho Falls I really like the Driftwood. It is a best western hotel and close to the river and everything you need. They also just did some remodeling last winter.

If they are full then try the Hilton Garden inn which is another great location and good rooms. Both are on the river, close to restaurants and downtown and close to the airport.

My next options would be Ameritel or the Red Lion(tower rooms).