Yellowstone and Grand Tetons National Parks

Old Sep 29th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone and Grand Tetons National Parks

We have a last minute vacation for the week of Oct. 11th. Is it too late in the year to travel to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons? Wea are concerned about the weather and the road conditions this time of the year. Should we wait ?
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 05:06 AM

go to www.nps.gov/yell and click on the planning your visit. You can check the opening and closing dates for various areas/stores/etc.

There will probably be more than enough to do and see but weather is totally not something you can count on. That said, I would go any time the opportunity arises, Yellowstone is awesome!!
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 07:46 AM

trish,

I was just up there last week and the weather and fall colors were spectacular! However, by the time you go both the weather and colors could be a whole different story! Weather changes very quickly in the Rockies. We've been having a much warmer and drier than normal Sept and that's why I went up. Weather forecast is for a cold front to come thru Utah on Wednesday.

If you go, just be prepared for cold weather. Hat, gloves, parka and lighter layers. Also know that the leaves will be mostly over with. It's still gorgeous any time of year. Crowds will be gone (it was still very busy last week) and prices will be lower.
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 01:44 PM

www.travelyellowstone.com is the park concessionaire. The Old Faithful Inn and The Old Faithful Snow Lodge are both open at that time. Mammoth Lodge is open at that time. I would spend more time at Old Faithful area, but maybe a night or two at Mammoth. A lot of the other lodging and restaurants will be closed. I would imagine it wouldn't be nearly as crowded. If you have a chance to go, then go!! Go once, and you'll be back again anyway.
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 07:49 PM

If snow hasn't closed the roads it is a wonderful time of year to visit both parks. A lot fewer people and traffic. It will be cold, at least at night and maybe even snow, you just never know.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your replies! They were very helpful and encouraging.