Yellowstone and Grand Tetons-Itinerary advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this summer we are actually deciding to see a little of our own country and as we have seen wildlife all over the world and we have picked Yellowstone. We love to hike and to stay in quieter places if possible. The tentative plan is 2 nights at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge, 3 nights at Canyon and 3 nights at Roosevelt. We also would like to visit the Grand Tetons but do not know where to stay or how many days? We could do two nights in the Grand Tetons but I worried it might not be enough time. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 02:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We spent 2 complete days plus the third morning on the way to Jackson airport.

I found that the days are divided into sections. I'm into photography so that was a consideration.

Early morning and late in the day are great for sunrise, sunset and wildlife. The middle of the day for hiking.

Two days was more than enough for the hiking in GTNP. I always could have used more time for the early and late times. Wildlife go on their schedule and not yours.

I'm not sure about 2 nights at Old Faithful. If you have two complete days that's fine. The Old Faithful area is more than just Old Faithful. There are other sights around such as the whole Upper Basin, a few waterfalls, Grand Prismatic Spring (find my report where I describe a great view of GPS).

The Canyon area is covered by 3 nights and 3 days. Mt Washburn merits most of a day for a classic hike.

You can see photos of my trip at:

www.travelwalks.com
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Myer,

Thanks for your input. Your pictures are beautiful. We are planning to stay overnight in Jackson the first night and get up early and drive to the Old Faithful area. That would give us two full days. Do you know how far a drive it is from Jackson to Old Faithful?
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 06:54 AM

We flew into Cody and did a rountrip rental car drive from Cody thru YNP to GNTP and JAckson.

Our expereince was alot more to do and see in GNTP.
There were more of road adventures, hiking choices, in Jackson & GNTP that afforded more nature and wildlife: tremendous more tourists in a much more cramped area in YNP..our suggetion is to spend more time in JAckson and GNTP and less in YNP. We found very very side roads that allowed get away from tourists and cars and traffic jams in YNP..
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

1Jar-Did you do a lot of hiking or mostly driving? We are hoping to hike everyday and we have heard that if you hike and get off the road there are far less people. Where did you stay in the Grand Tetons?
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 11:51 AM

I disagree with more time in GTNP. Yes, it is beautiful but YNP doesn't play fair. It's not really one park but several.

Old Faithful area is very different from Canyon.

Old Faithful is not just one geyser. The whole Upper Basin, Geyser Loop, Middle Basin with what I consider a star in Grand Prismatic Spring. We also found an unofficial hike that got us above Grand Prismatic Spring. Hike to Mystic Falls.

I was very surprised at Old Faithful. I thought it was just convenient. It's spectacular. Watched it erupt at least several times at different times of the day and from several locations. Once even at night just before total darkness.

In Canyon there are several views of the Lower falls that are worth the time.

If you search for my report I describe the various waterfalls we stopped to see. I saw quite a few and most are different.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 01:09 PM

Has anyone visited in the spring? I am planning a trip at the end of March, wondering if the weather and access is still limited because of snow...
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 03:05 PM

WE did several wonderful hikes in GTNP...we stayed at Rock resort in JAckson Hole Snake River Lodge..got great speacial rate. Spa tubs in the room, spa and great swim pool were fantastic as well as restaurant.

in JAckson Hole ride the gondola and take off hiking the mountain tops. Get trail maps from Tickets & Tours next to Gonola...Fabulous...

in Rockerfeller Reserve this was fabulous hike
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/55390

http://www.boston.com/travel/getaway...ller_preserve/

http://www.jacksonholewy.net/hiking/

JEnny LAke in GTNP great hike around the lake
http://trails.gorp.com/Jenny-Lake-Loop-Trail-6669

If you look on a map, there is a back road into JAckson Hole that is a dirt road, one way in some places. We found this to be a wonderful place to get out and hike without alot of tourists around..lots of wildlife too.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 03:41 PM

lhgreenacres, you can either stay in Grand Teton or in Jackson. Park lodging was too expensive for our budget, so we stayed at the Motel 6 in Jackson. From there it was about 15 minutes into the park. I have a trip report and pictures - click on my screen name and you'll find the links.

rosebrien, most of the roads in Yellowstone will be closed in March, as will the road from Grand Teton to Yellowstone. We went in early June last year, and some of the roads in the park hadn't been open long.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Greenacres, We stayed in cabin at Colter Village in GTNP and really enjoyed it. To me, it was a little like Roosevelt Lodge. Your stay at GTNP just depends on how many hikes, snake trip floats, other activities you want to do. I like Yellowstone far more then GTNP, but I do hear many people that really really like GTNP as much or more.

rosebrien,
End of March is way to early for summer activites(many places and roads will be closed) and is to late for Winter activities. I think you will be very very very limited.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 05:18 PM

lhgreenacres,
If you're flying in & out of Jackson Hole, spend your first night and last 2 nights (or so) exploring the Tetons. We stayed at Signal Mtn Lodge and loved it. It's on Jackson Lake and centrally located for moose viewing at Oxbow Bend and the drive up Signal Mtn for great views - if its not cloudy.
Yellowstone, though, is truly amazing. The colors, textures, sounds, smells of the thermal features just fascinate. The boardwalk areas offer up close views of geysers, pools, mudpots - incredible stuff! Do an early (5-6am) morning walk through the geysers at Old Faithful for a surreal experience. We loved it all - especially Norris and Old Faithful areas. The Lake is huge and it bubbles and spouts - crazy! Also had a wonderful grizzly bear sighting there

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/67839325

We had no trouble spending 6 nights in YNP and wish we had more time. The diversity and amount of wildlife we saw blew us away! Be sure to bring binoculars. I think your itinerary sounds great. YNP and GTNP are so close, you have to see them both. But Yellowstone is so unique and rich with wildlife, (and so huge) it deserves a week all its own. If you can go late summer, try the last week of Aug - way less people. You'll get the bonus of hearing the bugling elk during their rut. They put on quite a show during our stay in Mammoth. You will love it all - what an amazing trip!
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the help. I am even more excited as today I was able to get upgraded at Roosevelt to a cabin with a bathroom. How long of a drive is it to drive from Jackson into Grand Tetons National Park? I would rather stay in a nice place in Jackson for the last few nights and making day trips into GTNP. Any other lodging recommendations, perhaps something a little romantic would be nice.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 02:48 AM

In GTNP we stayed at Signal Mountain and found it's location excellent. Near the GTNP wildlife.

Also, there are some sights off the main outside road that are missed by most people as you have to drive about a quarter mile off the road.

Mormon Row and Schwabacker Landing. If you are into photography they are must see sights for early morning (when the sun is behing you).
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM

I always prefer to stay "in the park".
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 05:39 PM

If your budget allows you to stay in Grand Teton NP, go for it. If not, there are plenty of places to stay in Jackson. We stayed at the south end of town and it only took us about 15 minutes to get into the park.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 03:48 AM

While I am sure there are some nice places to stay, we found Jackson to be pretty boring and we were only there for one night. Everything is overpriced and very commercial. I would strongly suggest staying in Grand Tetons for a night or two. The drive from Jackson into the park is 30 miles or so depending on where you want to go. Check out Jenny Lake lodge or even Snake River Lodge and Spa for more romantic/luxury accomodations. Signal Mtn lodge does have some nice lakefront suites that might work for you though. And the onsite dining is really good.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 01:43 PM

I agree with other posters about staying in GT...we really enjoyed our stay at Signal Mountain. Waking up every morning to a view of the lake and Mount Moran was priceless. Reading outside on our second night, I was startled by a mule deer munching berries about 6 feet behind me. Renting a small motor boat from the lodge on our last day and exploring the lake for close up views of the mountains was amazing. We'll never forget all 6 moose we saw - at very close range - and all of the bison en route to Mormon Row and pronghorn all over the place...could go on and on about the beauty of GTNP...

And don't even get me started about Yellowstone...memories that me, my DH and two daughters will always treasure...it's been a year and a half and my little one asked me just yesterday if we'll ever get to go back LOL. BTW, if you have the Fodor's Nat'l Parks of the West guide book, that's her on the second page "flying" over Grand Prismatic!
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 06:03 AM

Disagree with sharondi about Jackson, which I enjoyed very much, though staying in the parks is preferable for convenience. Jackson has plenty to keep one occupied for a day, though, and the National Wildlife Art Museum there is very good.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 06:36 AM

Myer~
Your photos from all trips are incredibly artistic! Thanks for sharing them with us.