Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Yellowstone and Glacier Parks (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/yellowstone-and-glacier-parks-906862/)

Howdey Sep 21st, 2011 01:46 PM

Yellowstone and Glacier Parks

Spending a week each at Yellowstone and Glacier (Canada) in early July 2012.
. Now I'm told that a week each is way too much time...true? Any advice for either welcome. Thanks

Chris_Brown Sep 21st, 2011 01:54 PM

Not true! But I guess it depends on the person. If you like to camp and fish and hike you won't get bored. If you want to drive around in your car all day then yeah, you won't need two weeks. If you do get bored head south to Grand Teton. IMHO, WAY better than Yellowstone anyway, (once you see the geysers.)

spirobulldog Sep 21st, 2011 02:40 PM

While I really like Grand Tetons, I like Yellowstone far far more. I think a week in each spot would be great!! I think you are going at a super busy time for Yellowstone though. The Going to the Sun Road wasn't open this year til later. I believe it didn't open until July 3 the previous year. It is rare for it not to be open by July 1st though.

utahtea Sep 21st, 2011 03:59 PM

A week in Yellowstone is just about perfect if you want to be able to see all the different areas of the park and do some hiking. As mentioned, you also have the Grand Tetons just south of the park if you run out of things to do in Yellowstone.

Are you sure you're going to the Glacier in Canada and not the one in Montana? We've spent a little time in Glacier (Canada) but unless you are into long hikes, I don't think a week will be needed there. If you are going to Canada, then I'd recommend Jasper and Banff National Parks. You really need more than a week to do both of those parks that are right next to each other. We've spent a week in Glacier, Montana before.

Utahtea

sludick Sep 21st, 2011 04:46 PM

Agree with utahtea about Canadian Glacier - aside from driving through it for about an hour while enroute somewhere else, it's hard for me to see an appeal for even a day. Unless of course you are serious hikers and have an agenda. As suggested, consider Jasper and Banff.

If you are actually thinking US Glacier, I'm still of the opinion that a week is too long - again, unless you are into long hikes, and even then, a week may be stretching it.

But Yellowstone - we've found that a week in that park really is not enough. With 2 weeks, we could enjoy Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Usually we have only allowed 7-10 days there and still felt slighted.

spirobulldog Sep 21st, 2011 05:13 PM

Wow, I never saw Canada in the post.

happytrailstoyou Sep 22nd, 2011 07:21 AM

With two weeks, you have plenty of time to include Grand Teton NP and Waterton Lakes NP in Alberta, which is about 80 miles from Many Glaciers (our favorite part of Glacier NP).

HTTY

sharondi Sep 22nd, 2011 07:42 AM

I had a week in YNP and wished I had more time! One of the most unique and fascinating places in the world, honestly. You certainly won't lack for things to see and do. And I would definitely be sure to include a day or so in the Tetons - it is incredibly beautiful (if the clouds aren't obscuring the view). And we had several awesome moose sightings - they seemed to be everywhere!

YNP has both the amazing thermal features (like nothing you've ever seen!) and wildlife everywhere. You will be going at at busy time but you'll still enjoy it immensely.

I love Glacier too but have only been to the US park. A week there would be great too!

Myer Sep 22nd, 2011 02:09 PM

I was in Yellowstone a year ago and spent a week between Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. I do not do difficult things but I'm non-stop.

I didn't like the Mamoth area. However, the guyer basin is a lot more than just Old Faithful. I went thru some of the areas a couple of time at different times of the day. They look very different at sunrise than at mid-day or near sunset.

The Canyon area has the best waterfall I've seen and I was at Yosemite this mid-June. In that area you have a lot of wildlife so be prepared to be up early and go looking at dusk. That's when they're out.

If you want to hike some allow most of a day for the signature hike. Mt Washburn is 3.5 miles each way. Not really that long but it starts at 8,800ft and end at 10,400ft. You're sucking for oxygen after the first 25 yards. A great hike.

Grand Tetons are beautiful. Early and late for wildlife and mountain viewing and mid-day to do some hikes.

There are some amazing places that most people don't see because they're a half mile off the main road. Mormon Row and Schwabacher Landing.

For me I felt a week was enough but I could easily go back again and do most of the same things.

I was in Banff list past July. I could easily plan another trip and this time include Jasper. I was some bears near Banff and Big Horn sheep.

While Lake Louise and the glacier in the background is fantastic, Moraine Lake wins the prize. I went there for two mornings and watched the sun go up behind me and and break thru the clouds/haze and light up the turquoise lake. This is the image on the back of the old Canadian $20 bill.

I think there's some confusion as to whether you mean Glacier NP in Montana or Glacier NP in Alberta.

happytrailstoyou Sep 22nd, 2011 05:21 PM

If you want to see glaciers, you will see many more along the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper than you will in Glacier NP (USA).

HTTY

Howdey Sep 24th, 2011 01:32 PM

Thanks everyone....really appreciate all the input. We will be staying in Banff/Canmore area..should be able to hit most of the highlighs mentioned. We will be going to Jackson Hole and now Grand Tetons. I love these forums!!