Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Yankees tickets? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/yankees-tickets-244537/)

Rousek Jul 30th, 2002 02:32 PM

Yankees tickets?

We'd like to go to our first Yankees game next week when they play KC or Oakland. Can we just show up and buy tickets there or do we need to get them ahead of time? If we go to a night game, is it too late to take the family back downtown on the subway afterward? Is there a big mob trying to catch cabs? This forum has been very helpful, thanks.

suzanne Jul 30th, 2002 04:03 PM

Take the subway afterward - there will be 20,000 other fans taking the subway too. Very safe. I wouldn't recommend a taxi (not sure if there are any, anyway) because traffic will be BAD.<BR><BR>You can try and by tickets from the Yankees website. Or buy them from scalpers. Another option is to buy them on EBay. I've bought tickets all of these ways. Or, you can buy them from one of the Yankees Clubhouse stores in Manhattan. Buying tickets at Yankee Stadium right before the game is also an option, but you'd get better seats if you bought ahead of time. <BR><BR>One of the best things about Yankee Stadium is that the upper-deck seats aren't bad at all - they don't feel really far away from the field, like the upper-deck seats at Shea.

Rousek Jul 30th, 2002 04:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. Since we live in Nebraska and are leaving next week, ordering tickets before we get to NY is not really an option.

dave Jul 30th, 2002 04:09 PM

rousek,<BR><BR>tickets for the KC games should be no problem. It may be a little tougher to get ticket for the Oakland games. If the Oakland games are not on the weekend, you should not have a problem.

s Jul 30th, 2002 05:18 PM

Unless it is a special promotion game on a Saturday or Sunday you should have no trouble buying tickets on the day of the game. The Oakl;and games will draw a bigger crowd than the KLC game. Take the subway baCK after the game - it will be very crowded. Warning - there will be people, outside the STadium offering to take you to your destination in a limo.. It is not a question of safety but, rather, one of cost. You are probably looking at $%0 or more. A yellow cab (not likely to find one) to midtown would cost $15 to $20.

gpepper Jul 30th, 2002 06:09 PM

Actually, if you want to order tickets online or over the phone - because of the short timeframe - you should have the option of picking them up at the will-call window at Yankee Stadium.

tweedy Jul 30th, 2002 08:47 PM

The ONLY way to get out of the stadium is to take the subway. The D to the West Side and the #4 to the East Side. I say that after being stuck in traffic at the Stadium for well over an hour. Nothing moved, and I mean nothing, very frustrating. We can actually walk from home to the stadium, so believe me, the subway is the only way if you are staying in midtown Manhattan.<BR><BR>I agree check the www.yankees.com website for info on tickets and seating.<BR><BR>Have a great time.<BR><BR>tweedy

a Jul 31st, 2002 03:19 AM

The subway is, as others have pointed out, is the best way to go. However, if you are on the west side, anywhere between 72nd and 96th Streets you can take a #2 to the 149th St./Grand Concourse station where you transfer to the #4 for a one stop ride to the Stadium.

gail Jul 31st, 2002 03:25 AM

Ordering tickets before you go is an option. If you go to Yankees website, you will find tickets available for both opponents. Tickets are sold thru Ticketmaster, and they have an option for holding tickets at box office for you.

JKNYer Jul 31st, 2002 04:53 AM

I would strongly recommend buying tickets through the Ticketmaster website before you go. Walk-up tickets are often hit-or-miss you'll need a hefty sum of cash to get scalper tix. <BR>THey'll hold the tix and box-office for you. Subways are plenty safe both before and after a game, but if you really want, many car-service guys line-up after the game usually under the subway. I have no idea how much they charge to get back to Manahattan, but its probably not worth it.<BR>JK

John Jul 31st, 2002 11:02 AM

rousek,<BR><BR>as others have said, you can order tickets at yankees.com and they will hold them for you at the "will call" window at the Stadium.<BR><BR>The other option is to buy tickets when you get to NY at one of the Yankee Clubhouse stores in Manhattan. Here are the locations:<BR><BR>110 East 59th St. (bet. Lexington & Park Ave.), (212) 758-7844.<BR>Hours: Mon - Sat 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM, Sun 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM.<BR> <BR>* 393 Fifth Ave. (bet. 36th & 37th St.), (212) 685-4693.<BR>Hours: Mon - Sat 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM, Sun 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM.<BR> <BR>* 8 Fulton Street (South Street & Seaport), (212) 514-7182.<BR>Hours: Mon - Sat 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM, Sun 11:00 AM - 8:00 PM.<BR> <BR>* 245 West 42nd St. (bet. 7th & 8th Ave.), (212) 768-9555.<BR>Hours: Mon - Sat 9:00 AM - 10:00 PM, Sun 11:00 AM - 8:00 PM.<BR><BR><BR>Also, as others have said, just catch the subwayto and from the game, along with the thousands of other Yankee fans. The D train on the west side, and the #4 train on the east side, stop at the Stadium. (If you're near the east side, take the #4 train. It's more scenic because it comes above ground to an elevated track in the Bronx and you can see the Stadium as you approach it.)

Rousek Jul 31st, 2002 03:48 PM

Thanks for all the great replies. I just hope they hold off striking until after we leave town.