Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Yankees game Sunday 1PM. Need to get to LGA for 5:35PM flight. Best way? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/yankees-game-sunday-1pm-need-to-get-to-lga-for-5-35pm-flight-best-way-884427/)

starkmj Mar 30th, 2011 07:28 AM

Yankees game Sunday 1PM. Need to get to LGA for 5:35PM flight. Best way?

So, I'm thinking we'll just stay at the game until 3PM, and see as much of the game as we can.

Then, am I going to be able to get a cab at Yankee Stadium? Won't it be nuts afterward with all the people and traffic?

Would I be better off taking the subway for a couple of stops and getting off somewhere where I can find a cab to the airport much easier?

Thanks for any and all help.

-Mike

tchoiniere Mar 30th, 2011 07:50 AM

What are you going to do with your luggage? You cannot even bring a backpack into stadiums. Definitely don't have time to see the whole game. 3pm sounds about right. Given its the Yankees, that should be around the 4th or 5th inning.

starkmj Mar 30th, 2011 08:00 AM

Actually, our luggage is going to stay at the hotel. We're staying at a hotel right at the airport. So, we'll go back to hotel, get our bags, and take the shuttle to the airport.

janisj Mar 30th, 2011 09:00 AM

If you have to return to your hotel and faff about w/ getting the bags and to the terminal you need to add another 30-45 minutes. You'll want to leave the game by 2PM or a little later.

nytraveler Mar 30th, 2011 09:09 AM

There are no cabs at Yankee stadium - you will hae to organize a car service. Also - you need to find a place to store your luggage (you can;t bring anything larger than a regular purse in with you - and security does check at the gate).

If your flight leaves at 5:35 you need to be AT the airport before 4 pm - and even that is cutting it close if you have checked luggage. Leaving your bags at the hotel and going there, then waiting around for a shuttle is a relly bad idea.

Take the bags to the game and check them at one of the sports bars n the vicinity. Have your car service pick you up there no later than 2:30 - meaning you leave the game at 2:15 and run to the bar to get your bags.

mclaurie Mar 30th, 2011 10:28 AM

Why bother going to the game?

tchoiniere Mar 30th, 2011 10:34 AM

mclaurie, thats kind of my feeling. Not being rude to the OP and hopefully they can still enjoy Yankee Stadium, but people leaving early drives me insane. Or the up / down to go to Concessions during innings. Given that the games don't start on time, you will be there for less than 4 innings. If this is truly to see the new Stadium, I would get there as the game opens and go to Monument Park.

starkmj Mar 30th, 2011 11:08 AM

I see your point about even bothering going to the game, but I'm taking my son to NY for his 16th birthday, and we had plans for Friday and Saturday (Broadway/Statue Liberty/SNL), and no plans for Sunday.

We didn't have anything to do on Sunday, and it's our hometown team (Tigers). Problem is changing the flight will cost over $300, so we're stuck.

I figure we go at Noon, enjoy the park for a while, and then hit the road. I'm not out any money for the tix, and my son gets to see Yankee stadium.

Win/win in my opinion.

starkmj Mar 30th, 2011 11:10 AM

Oh, I didn't mention we got the tix for free from a friend. If I was paying for the tix, I agree, it wouldn't be worth it.

tchoiniere Mar 30th, 2011 11:19 AM

Now, I don't blame you...If you plan on going to Monument Park, you will have to go earlier as they shut the line off around then and you will probably not make it in. I do think seeing Monument Park is integral to going to Yankee Stadium especially if its your first time (Disclaimer: I have not been to the new Stadium)

Lets go Tigers...being a Red Sox fan.

starkmj Mar 30th, 2011 11:29 AM

Yes, I think we'll get there around 11AM or so (when the gates open) and walk around, visit Monument Park, stay for a while, and leave around 2 or 2:30.

If we're leaving early, shouldn't we be able to find a cab as there won't be a massive amount of people?

Or should I still get a service?

tchoiniere Mar 30th, 2011 11:37 AM

Someone more familiar with it will have to answer that for you. I have always driven or taken the train from CT.

starkmj Mar 30th, 2011 12:14 PM

Anybody got an idea on where to check our bags? I keep hearing the bowling alley (Ball Park Lanes) but it's closed up, I believe.

Someone else said the souvenir shop next to Stan's bar also checks bags, but it's not confirmed.

I would much rather do that than have to go back to the hotel, as that will add another 1/2 hour to the trip or so.

Thanks everyone!

Aduchamp1 Mar 30th, 2011 12:17 PM

At least go to batting practice for your money.

tchoiniere Mar 30th, 2011 12:48 PM

Id say call it and find out. Try calling Stan's as I saw online that they do have a bag check but it was a user review. I do think that would be your best option. Then I also think a car service to the airport probably would be best (and probably no more expensive) over a cab.

mclaurie Mar 30th, 2011 01:08 PM

Taxis don't cruise there so you either need to book a car service like dial7.com to pick you up at a specific time/place or get on the subway and come back to Manhattan and get a taxi in Manhattan. What about contacting your airline and finding out whether you can check your luggage in the morning before going to the stadium?

starkmj Mar 30th, 2011 01:27 PM

I called Delta. They said technically after you check bags, you need to stay at the airport. Of course, how would they know?
I just called Stan's, and they have a souvenir shop next door that checks bags.

OR, I was thinking I'd just cab it (or dial7, as you rec'd) back to the hotel, have the cabby (and my son) wait out front, and I'll run in, get my bags, and have the cab continue to the airport. Will probably only cost $5 more if I get my bags from the front desk quickly.

I'll have my ipad, etc, so not sure I trust Stan's souvenir shop to hold on to my stuff!

And then we're each just gonna have duffel bags, so we won't even be checking bags at the airport, so I think as long as we are there by 4PM we should be fine. I'll check in online ahead of time.

Any other tips?

Thanks for all your help, guys!!

Aduchamp1 Mar 30th, 2011 02:45 PM

There used to be a hot dog vendor in front of Bronx Criminal Court who used to hold guys' guns while they testified. Maybe he is avilable.

DebitNM Mar 30th, 2011 03:24 PM

My husband had to check a backpack at the bowling alley. The guy took his bag, and charged him a few bucks and no receipt or anything else. DH was concerned about getting backpack back, it wasn't locked or otherwise secured. But DH didn't have any option, it was the only game in town and he didn't know before hand that he couldn't take a pack in.

Moral of the story, make sure you bags are locked.

starkmj Mar 30th, 2011 03:47 PM

The bowling alley is closed, I'm quite sure.

And I just don't feel like carrying my travel bag down to the Bronx, then find a place to check it, having to get it afterward, AND worrying about my iPad at a bowling alley, etc.

So, I'm leaving the bags at the hotel, and I'll just get a car service to take us back to the hotel, we'll pick up the bags while he waits outside, then he'll take us to the airport.

I think I can leave the ballgame at 3PM and be just fine. We're not checking bags at the airport.
If I'm there at 4 or shortly after, we'll be fine.

Thanks again everyone!