Notices

Yakutat, Alaska

Jul 25th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Yakutat, Alaska

Spent a couple of nights there recently and wanted to post a few recommendations:

Leonard's Lodge - the best place in town to stay if you don't mind renting a vehicle ( likely to be a rather beat up van) to get around. It's a couple of miles outside of "town", i.e. the post office and bar, but has cabins right on the water. Annette is the general manager and very helpful. There were only two of us but she had a three bedroom two bath cabin available which she rented to us for$100/pp/night (i.e $200 for both of us).it had a washer and dryer and a lovely view of the water.

Jeff S. is a massage therapist in town came out and gave us massages. He was very good. I can't find his phone number now but everybody knows everybody in the town so ask Annette.

This is not a fancy town to say the least. The grocery store is decent and there are only two restaurants so we get all of our own cooking. Don't know a lot more than that but if you want specific info e-mail me ([email protected]).
Jul 25th, 2011, 04:23 PM

Wow, haven't heard that name in a long while -- I stayed in Yakutat for a few days way back in January 1962 .. we (aboard three, research-oriented fishing boats travelling up to Kodiak), were blown in by a vicious out in the Gulf storm!! Some very fond memories of our stay there. The local community really "chipped in" to help us out -- providing venues for showers, dinners, basketball games (we got clobbered!!), and so much more!!
Fun to read the changes that have taken place since then!!
Jul 26th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

We were flown in there we finished rafting the Tatshenshini River for 11 days. We had great weather (relatively speaking) and really enjoyed regrouping there.

The massage therapist's name is Jeff Swartling and his # is 907.784.3395 (at Fat Grandma's at least for now)

Search this Thread