Wyoming, Montana & S. Dakota

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm spending hours trying to figure out a route, some help would be much appreciated. We will be stopping off in US (last week in July 2007) on our way back to New Zealand from Europe to catch up with friends in Colorado Springs and then have 10/11 days to do a trip finishing back in CS. We've done some of Wyoming on our last trip (Grand Tetons) this time would like to visit Yellowstone NP, Little Bighorn Battlefield, Mt. Rushmore/Black Hills. My husband is keen to take a route that includes Dubois, he just loves that little town. Are we trying to do too much in our time frame?
Not sure where we should stay in Yellowstone, whether to take the Beartooth Highway or go via Cody to Little Bighorn. HELP!!
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 04:49 AM

Here's what I would do:
- Col.Spr.-drive IS 25 then road 26,visit Fort Laramie then on rd.18 and 16 87 to Keystone in the Black hills(visit Rushmore-Crazy horse- Custer state park-Badlands(2 tt 3 days)-then on 385 to Deadwood then 24 and 34 to Deivils tower.Further IS 90 to Custer little bighorn battlefield.Then over the Beartooth 212 to the N/east entrance Yellowstone.Stay in Gardiner or W.Yellowstone visit park(2 to 3 days)then rd 16 to Cody(visit the museum)then rd 120 south-20-28-191 to Rock springs.Depending on the time you have left you can take IS 80east to Laramie and Cheyeene and then south to Denver and back to COL.Springs or trey to include Rocky mountain N.Park in your route to Denver.This will be a lot of driving. Greetings Paul
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 11:11 AM

I would make Yellowstone a must see stop. I would suggest two or three nights there. A great location is Old Faithful just about a central location. We stayed there in a mid range priced room and it was fine. If you do decide to stay there. You really need to make reservations as soon as possible because rooms fill up fast. I agree a stop to see Mt Rushmore and also a great place is Custer State Park and the Needles Highway very near Rushmore. The beartooth one of the most scenic highways should also be a must see. I'm not sure which direction you should do the trip I leave that part to my husband. Have a wonderful trip. It's a great part of our country. I am gald you are taking the time to see it.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Not too hard but as someone said, covering a lot of territory:
C-Springs North on I-25 to Ft. Collins; take US 287 N to Laramie; take I-80 West to Rawlins; if you want Dubois then you'll need to follow US 287 through Dubois and the Tetons to Yellowstone.

After Yellowstone get yourself through Cody to Buffalo eastbound than I-90 East into the Black Hills (you could divert at Sundance for the Tower, etc.

Returning down US 85 to Cheyenne picking p I- 25 south.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 01:07 PM

If at all possible drive the BearTooth Highway.

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/image...oth_182_lg.jpg

This link is the road going up BearTooth to the "Top of the World" from the Red Lodge MT side of the pass....
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou all for your help, decisions, decisions.

We originally thought CS to Dubois onto Old Faithfull for 2/3 nights then over Beartooth to possibly Hardin as a base to do Little Bighorn, then onto Custer as a base for Black Hills etc. hadn't decided which route back to CS. It looked okay until I decided to check the driving times on Mapquest and found out how long the drive was going to take from Old Faithfull to Hardin, without photos stops and just gazing, this is when I went into panic and decided a rethink was necessary.

Also a little edgy about driving the Beartooth, my husband does really well driving on what is the 'wrong side' for us but I get nervous if there are huge drop offs and no guard rails. Last year we drove from Aspen across Independance Pass to Breckenridge, so glad we did it but didn't like being so close to the edge on many occasions, need some reassurance here!!

So should we stick with the above but stay a night somewhere between Old Faithfull and Hardin or change our locations entirely, maybe go the Cody route? We are open to all suggestions especially any recommendations for motels etc.

Thanks a million.

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:44 AM

You should be able to make Yellowstone/OF to Hardin in one day over the Beartooth. We have done it several times. Once you get to Red Lodge there is not much else to slow you. We always try to stay in Hardin, always had problems finding a place in Billings, seems there is always a special event going on. If you are on I-90 east of Billings exit at 484 and drop south a few miles to US-87 you will pass by the area where the Custer reenactment was filmed. You can continue to Hardin. When you just enter town you can turn left and it will take you back to the Interstate. There will be a white motel on the right with a laundromat across the street...... Don't worry about driving the Beartooth. By the time you have driven in Yellowstone and the other areas of the Rocky Mountains the mountain driving will almost come natural, just take your time and enjoy your trip.....If time permits stop by Devils Tower, You can take US-212 from the Little Bighorne to Alzada then drop south on Sr-112 to Hulett and the Tower. Take US-14 to Moorcroft and US-16 thru Newcastle and on to Custer SD and the Black Hills....
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for putting my mind at rest re driving the Beartooth etc.

Our trip is going to be the last week of July and wondering how busy that is going to be in Yellowstone as our itinerary will put us there over a weekend. Would it be better to do the trip in reverse i.e. starting in S. Dakota, we would then be in Yellowstone mid week???

Any recommendations for a decent motel in Custer and Hardin would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 11:36 PM

In Custer, try to get a cabin in Legion lake resort, just in the middle of Custer Park, not far from the principal attractions...
Price for a bedrooms with bathroom and living-dining room , housekeeping was 150 $/night last year.
Legion lake restaurant is decennt for breakfast and the trout for dinner is good.
For kids, burgers are excellent.
Erik
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:20 AM

In the town of Custer we have stayed in the Dakota Cowboy Inn several times when we were not camping in Custer State Park. Its on the southwest corner of US-16 and SD-98 on the western side of town.

In Hardin we try to stay at the Western Motel, on US-87 on the western side of town. Either of these two you can Google for more information and exact location.

We have found most motels in the west are not fancy but all that we have stayed in over the years have been clean and a place to rest the body for another day on the road.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:41 AM

Patricia, we drove the Beartooth the day this past Sept the day before they closed the road. It was not bad at all, and that was with snow and ice in spots. I think you'll be fine in July. It's a lovely drive and you'll want to take it slow anyway.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 06:26 AM

BayouGal-- We drove it once the day after the road opened, late May. Snow banks 8-10 feet high on either side of the roadway. It would have been impossible to run off the road. Indeed the Beartooth is a beautiful drive anytime it is open.....
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 07:19 AM

RedRock, I could have spent days in that area. We didn't realize there was lodging near the top until we drove the Beartooth. I think we could explore that area every single year and never tire of it. Thank you for recommending it to us!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 09:03 AM

We have been on "Top Of The World" many times. Each time is as enjoyable as the first. Last year was bright and sunny down below, on top cold and rain. They also have some good campgrounds up there. We have tried to get a site there a time or two but all were full. Had to settle for our old stand by Soda Butte CG(NF) near Cooke City. The Yellowstone is one of our favorite areas.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi again,
Feeling much haapier about the Beartooth now.
Thanks for the motel recommendations, I had already bookmarked the Cowboy Inn in Custer.

Just one more question, any thoughts on doing the trip in reverse, i.e. starting in S. Dakota which would mean we would be in Yellowstone midweek instead of over a weekend, less busy maybe?? I also thought I read somewhere that the Beartooth is even more spectacular going the Red Lodge to Cooke City direction, your opinions on this would be most welcome.

Thanks again, you've all been great.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Patricia--- You could do it either way, whatever would be best for your travel plans. As far as the Yellowstone being busy there is always a steady coming and going of people. On the weekends you have people leaving and arriving. From past experience the first part of the week seems to have the most people.
We like the less busy areas of the Park. When we stay in a motel we always try to stay in Hoosier Motel in Cooke City. The Lamar Valley is another place that is missed by most, Home of a Bison Herd and several of the Yellowstone Wolf Packs. This will be the way you enter if you Come across the Beartooth.

http://www.colorado-west.com/cooke/
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 02:20 PM

I think starting your trip in South Dakota is a good idea.

From Colorado Springs you can head up I-25 & connect with I-76. At Brush, CO go north toward Scottsbluff, Nebraska and continue into South Dakota. I think this route is a little more scenic with bluffs and national grasslands along the way. We did this route and enjoyed Wind Cave, Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park and Jewel Cave. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Hill City.

After leaving the Black Hills, connect with I-90. Devil's Tower N.M. is along the way if you are interested. I-90 will take you to the Little Bighorn Battlefield. We visited in August and I was very impressed with the museum. It was very hot, though, about 104 degrees so we didn't spend a lot of time walking the trails.

From there we headed to Red Lodge for two nights. I really liked the town. On weekends there are pig races over in the nearby town of Bear Creek. It was pretty humorous and good entertainment for an evening.

After that we took the Beartooth Highway toward Cooke City. It is absolutely gorgeous. Since you have already done Independence Pass successfully, you should not have a problem. Just take your time and pull over to enjoy the views. Make sure you get out of your car. We pulled over at the summit and probably walked 10 feet and were able to watch a small group of mountain goats feeding. Other drivers would stop, take a picture of the summit sign, and drive off. They missed so much.

If you are interested in hiking make sure to get a topo map before the drive. I regret that we didn't do this.

My favorite locations in Yellowstone for lodging are the Canyon and Old Faithful areas. I stayed in a newer lodge at Canyon, either Dunraven or Cascade. At Old Faithful, I like the Old Faithful Inn and Snow Lodge.

Your trip sounds wonderful!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Dunraven is the nicer of the two at Canyon and it has an elevator. That was our favorite location in the park.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,
Lots more to think about now but I think we have made the decision to start in S. Dakota basing ourselves in either Custer or Hill City for 3 nights.

wtm, how long do you think we need to allow for our visit to Little Bighorn Battlefield? Not sure from your message, perhaps you could clarify for me, did you drive from Hill City, do Little Bighorn and then onto Red Lodge all in one day?

Just wondering if Buffalo is worth a stop for a couple hours or overnight?? Trying now to figure out comfortable driving distances in a day so we can decide on the best/nicest stops between S. Dakota and Yellowstone, i.e. Hardin, Red Lodge, Cooke City.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -