WWII Memorial

Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:32 AM
Lenore

WWII Memorial

Can anyone tell me have they started work on building this memorial yet. I was there on vacation last May and was walking the mall trying to figure out where they were planning on putting the memorial, I finally ran into a national park worker who pointed out the area. Also when is it suppose to be completed as that will be the next time I visit D.C.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:13 AM
Vet

The long-awaited construction of the National WWII Memorial kicked off on Aug. 27, 2001, as the joint venture of Tompkins Builders and Grunley-Walsh Construction began work at the memorial's Rainbow Pool site on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.

Activity during the first several weeks includes surveying the project site and existing utilities; surveying and mapping out new utilities; installing security fencing, project trailers, temporary parking, and erosion control measures; and establishing and mulching tree protection areas. Actual construction of the memorial, beginning with utility relocation and preliminary foundation work, should begin by late October.

The construction site is located between the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument, at the eastern end of the Reflecting Pool. The Second World War will be the only 20th century event commemorated on the Mall's central axis. The American Battle Monuments Commission expects to dedicate the memorial in the spring of 2004.

Search this Thread