Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Wrigley Field - seat suggestions, please (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/wrigley-field-seat-suggestions-please-885002/)

KatieR Apr 3rd, 2011 09:19 AM

Wrigley Field - seat suggestions, please

Attending a game at Wrigley Field has long been on my husband's wish list & we're finally making the trip the 3rd week in April. This will most likely be a once-in-a-lifetime visit to Wrigley, so I'd like to make it special. It works out that we can see 2 games, I'd like to buy really great tickets for one and we can be happy with cheaper seats for another. Can anyone help with suggestions, both for sections & sites other than stubhub? Thanks!

tchoiniere Apr 3rd, 2011 09:34 AM

Katie, I sat in section 130 or so when I was there. Great seats. be warned that it is 1 continuous row of about 30 seats so a lot of people to crawl over if you are in the middle...

I would do 1 like this then a Bleacher Seat..

Cubs are almost sold out for the year. Stubhub may be your only option. Try cubs.com but not sure what you will find.

KatieR Apr 3rd, 2011 09:47 AM

Thanks, tchoiniere! Very helpful info. The older stadiums do have their inconveniences, but that's part of the experience and is OK with us.

Checked for availability & there are still tickets for both dates on cubs.com, & many available on stubhub as well as vividseats.com. But thanks for the heads-up, I'll make it a point to get the tickets ASAP, just need to get my husband to the computer. In my house, the travel planning is usually all my thing but he'll make an exception for baseball tickets:).

KatieR Apr 3rd, 2011 01:44 PM

Got our tickets on the Cubs site. We're in section 123.

swalter518 Apr 3rd, 2011 05:13 PM

Not so much of a section suggestion but just a weather suggestion. It can be very very cold at Wrigley that early in the season. We were at a game last year and sat on the third base line for an afternoon game. The sun had already passed overheard and we were in the shade and froze in what was otherwise 50 degree weather so you may want to aim for the 1st base side so you're in the sun.

KatieR Apr 4th, 2011 02:50 AM

Thanks, the plan is to bring very warm clothing & hope for the best.

tchoiniere Apr 4th, 2011 05:14 AM

Don't forget part of the experience is walking around Wrigley on the outside before the game. There are good bars right around it. We were there for a 2:30 game on a Sat afternoon and bars were packed at 9am...

nanabee Apr 4th, 2011 07:20 AM

KatieR, My husband is a die-hard St. Louis Cardinal fan - and we visited Wrigley Field (yes he was dressed in his Cardinal colors from head to toe). This may not mean much to you, but the Cubs and Cardinals are long time rivals!! But the Cub fans were the nicest we have ever met!

We had the best time I've ever had at a ball stadium. Wrigley Field is the best, no matter where you sit. It is the experience you are going for.

tchoiniere Apr 4th, 2011 08:05 AM

nanabee, the game I went to was a Cardinals @ Cubs game on a Sat afternoon in August. Definitely agree with everything that you said. Even after the Cardinals beat the Cubs badly, they were still very nice to the Cardinals fans. The 4 of us were wearing Red Sox hats so were were neutral...Will never forget walking into the Cubbie Bear at 9am to find it full. We managed to get the last 4 bar stools.

Katie, you should look at the White Sox schedule and see if they are home for your dates. Another decent stadium.

Wrigley and Fenway are in Leagues of their own for ballpark experiences.

KatieR Apr 4th, 2011 02:38 PM

We will get there early & thanks for the tip! We are planning to go to Fenway in June or July.

tchoiniere, I wish had had thought to check the White Sox schedule before booking our flight. They're out of town on our days, but we could have come in earlier to see them. May have to return to Chicago:).

nanabee, I do get the rival thing & am glad to hear it. We went to a Yankee spring training game in Tampa last year & my husband wore his Red Sox regalia. Yankees were playing the Twins, but still we got lots of scowls & sarcastic remarks, not all with sportsman-like intent.

nanabee Apr 4th, 2011 03:27 PM

No, katie, the Cubbie fans, like tchoiniere has also mentioned, are super fun to be around. Plus half the fun are the bars/restaurant scene either before or after the game. I would take public transport into the ballpark area.

KatieR Apr 4th, 2011 04:33 PM

Yea, Cubbies! Thank you for the encouraging info, we will have a wonderful time. 2 weeks & 2 days to go.

Figuring out transportation is my next step. Booked a room at the Hyatt at 151 East Wacker, hopefully close enough to walk to the train. I understand we get to Wrigley on the Red Line & am sure the hotel will be able to point us in the right direction.

tchoiniere Apr 4th, 2011 05:18 PM

The el is very easy to use once you use it once. Only once did we continuously go around the Loop.

andrews98682 Apr 10th, 2011 06:27 PM

Red line goes right to Wrigley. You might also consider watching from one of the rooftops.

KatieR Apr 11th, 2011 03:19 PM

Thanks, we will take the Red line. Already have tickets, so the rooftops are out for this game, but maybe we'll go to a 2nd game.

tchoiniere Apr 11th, 2011 06:49 PM

I believe you need a large group for rooftops at this point...