Wrigley Field in July

Search

Wrigley Field in July

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrigley Field in July

We are planning on going to a Cubs game in July, any advice as to where is the best place to sit at Wrigley? Thinking about the sun, sounds good now, but in July it is sometimes a little much. Would appreciate any wisdom.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 03:55 PM

I have never been to Wrigley, but I would advise that you try to get tickets as soon as possible. I tried to get Red Sox tickets (they have been selling single game tickets for less than 2 weeks) for a game in June and it is already sold out.

A good team with a large fan base and a small stadium could mean trouble.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Kal

"Da Bleachers for Da Cubs".

Yep. No matter where you sit, buy them soon or you may have trouble getting seats together.

Since this is an old b'park there are large posts that are about halfway up the 2nd level that obstruct the view. Some seats under the decks also obscure the view of pop flies to the outfield.

I believe most "obstructed view" seats are marked on the tickets.

We've bought tickets from "Clark and Addison Seating Consultants" (ie scalpers) before with good results but always be careful.

If it's sunny and a day game, the bleachers can get HOT as they are directly in the sun!

Darn! Now I need a ((&)) and an Old Style
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:34 PM

yikes, unless you want to fry (or if you can tolerate the heat and sun), i would advise you to not sit in the bleachers. it may be fun, but i'm too old to be fighting with drunks.

i like sitting in the shade, which at that time would be along the left field lines. i personally like the "family section", which is left field corner. it's a quieter section where people actually watch the game and not socialize. but there's no alcohol served there so...

good luck getting tickets!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:50 PM

The chicago cubs website allows you to buy tickets, see where the seats are, etc. Grandstand would be best unless you want to fry in the bleachers. Is the game afternoon or night?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 07:14 PM

Individual game tickets go on sale February 27--details on the Cubs web site. Yes, Wringley is popular, but a lot will depend on day and time of game, and who the opponent is, in terms of how available tickets will be.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:13 AM

As others have said, the bleachers will be in the sun for the whole game.

For a 1:20pm game, many of the rows in the club and field box sections (100 level and down) along the left field line will start the game in the sun, but the shade line will move down as the game goes on. Most will be in the shade by the end. Conversely, some rows in the club and field box sections along the right field line will gain sun as the game goes along. Most of these seats are sold as season tickets, so they are very hard to get in any event. Virtually all of the 200, 400 and 500 level seats are under the overhangs and get no sun. Even on a nice day, if the wind is blowing in, some of these seats can be a little chilly! We went to a game last August when it was raining and downright cold.

As Marilyn has stated, single game tickets go on sale next Friday (27th), and you can expect it to be a zoo. Last year, I was unable to get into the internet system until after noon, and some of the prime weekend games were already sold out. Weekday games should be easier to get.

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:43 AM

The right field line is always closest to the first-base action on a baseball field, and gives you the best view of right handed batters. At Wrigley, most of the seats toward the front of those sections stay sunny; in the middle depths, you have half-sun, half-shade. The upper deck, which is your most likely spot, is not bad at all. You'll have to decide whether proximity to home plate is more important than proximity to the front row.

The bleachers used to be a great, cheap seat, but the "regulars" set the behavior standards, and they aren't very high. If shirtless men, and lots of abusive yelling don't bother you, you might consider it. Guaranteed sunny seats, which, added to our generous July humidity, makes for a warm afternoon.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:42 AM

Don't know which dates in July you're planning to be in Chicago, but the July 4th weekend games are all against the White Sox. That's an extremely popular series, and will almost undoubtedly be the first games to sell out for the entire season. If that's when you're planning on going I'd make sure to be on the phone or the Internet as soon as they start selling tickets. You'll get a lot of busy signals & get placed in the Internet "virtual waiting room" repeatedly, which can be annoying, but if you're patient and persistent you may get lucky! If your schedule is flexible, tickets to weekday games are much easier to come by.

Also, to weigh in on the bleacher debate - I sometimes enjoy sitting in the bleachers for the unique experience. However, all of the comments you've seen here are correct - it can be very hot, and there will likely be some comments and shouting that you may or may not find offensive. If you're all adults with a good sense of humor, you'll probably find it entertand can be a very fun place to sit for a game. However, I personally wouldn't bring kids into the bleacher section. Wrigley employs people to monitor each bleacher section to minimize offensive language and behavior, but it takes repeyou can bet there will be some.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Sorry - didn't mean to submit that last post yet. Here's what the last paragraph should have said:

Also, to weigh in on the bleacher debate - I sometimes enjoy sitting in the bleachers for the unique experience. However, all of the comments you've seen here are correct - it can be very hot, and there will likely be some comments and shouting that you may or may not find offensive. If you're all adults with a good sense of humor, you'll probably find it entertaining. But if you're bringing kids, you might rather sit in either the family section or the regular stands. Also, I'm not sure, but I think they may not allow beer in the family section.

Hope this helps - enjoy the game!
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 01:29 PM

This site is great. They show you what sections at Wrigley get sun at different times of year: http://www.wrigleyfieldnews.com/
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 04:25 PM

But the OP went to a game 7 years ago.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Kal

Yes but the pimping of the website is new.