Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Wrigley Field (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/wrigley-field-301322/)

hfhansell Mar 27th, 2003 09:23 AM

Wrigley Field

Dear fodorites,<BR><BR>I have questions about Wrigley Field. We are a family of three; two adults and a 5 1/2 year old girl. Would like to see Wrigley Field, but since my daughter is going along, I don't want to overpay for tickets. Are the upper deck reserved seats along the first and third base lines any good? My daughter will likely be distracted and wanting to explore so I'm not sure how focused we will be able to be on the game. I found upper deck reserved seats available on the cubs' web site (sections 516 and 525). What do you recommend for our first visit to Wrigley Field? Thanks for any help you can give.

d Mar 27th, 2003 09:43 AM

I suggest sitting in the designated family area behind left field.

Loki Mar 27th, 2003 09:45 AM

Wrigley sell sout every game so I'm not sure if this is the best place to bring a child to explore. People will be annoyed if you are standing up and walking through the seats with her. As it's gets later (drunker) in the game, rude people will be yelling &quot;Down in front!&quot; at you if you're walking through the seats with your child.

taitai Mar 27th, 2003 10:15 AM

Every game does sell out so you won't be able to walk around. I suggest either getting early and seeing batting practice, national anthem, etc. or arrive late and stay for the famous 7th inning stretch singing. Your daughter might not be able to make it through the entire game.<BR><BR>Also, depending on the time of the year, the upper deck could get really, really hot -- you might not want to stay the whole time out in the sun.<BR><BR>Really the only place I would advise AGAINST getting seats is the Bleachers -- don't do that with a little child. The Bleachers are like one giant bar -- not appropriate for little kids.<BR><BR>Have fun

travels77 Mar 27th, 2003 11:10 AM

First of all, not every Cubs game sells out. Obviously, weekend games in the summer (and popular match-ups--Sox, Yankees..)are more likely to sell out, but day games during the week (and some night games) rarely approach a sellout. The fact that sections 516 and 525 are available means there are plenty of upperdeck seats still available. The quality of viewing the game from the upperdeck is fine. It's a relatively small ballpark, so don't worry about getting your money's worth.<BR><BR>One last point. Don't worry about your little girl attending the game. From my experience, the die hard fans do not sit in the upperdeck and most group outings (including many, many children) will be seated in that area. There are plenty of areas for you to explore that don't include wandering in front of fans who are seated. Go and enjoy yourself. I've been to Wrigley over a hundred games and rarely see the type of behavior expressed in the earlier posts. Although, the bleachers are not very family friendly, but you'd need to purchase scalper tickets to sit there anyway.

kindra178 Mar 27th, 2003 12:27 PM

Although Wrigley is gorgeous and quite historic, sox park is way more kid friendly

cd Mar 27th, 2003 01:27 PM

I have two grandchildren who play baseball. We will be in Chicago the weekend of July 19 for the Lion King. How do I purchase tickets for Wrigley field for Saturday afternoon?

marilynl Mar 27th, 2003 01:32 PM

The Cubs are out of town that weekend, but the White Sox are at home against the Detroit Tigers. You can buy tickets online through their web site.

Chicago_Heather Mar 27th, 2003 01:34 PM

The weekend of July 19, the Cubs are in Florida. For home games, this is the ticketing info:<BR><BR>Tickets are available by telephone by calling Tickets.com phone sales. The phone sale phone numbers are 800-THE-CUBS (800-843-2827) for Illinois callers and 866-652-2827 for out-of-state callers. <BR><BR>On tickets.com, you may be able to buy away tix, too.<BR><BR>BTW, taking kids to Wrigley is great. Loads are there on Sundays in particular and the games as traveler notes do *not* always sell out. Often, day-of tix are released around 8-9am. The &quot;family&quot; section, as of last season, was a no-alcohol zone (for anyone) if that makes a difference. Just don't take little kids to the bleachers on weekends or Fri. afternoon games (they may learn a whole new vocabularly).<BR><BR>Finally, upper deck reserved are fine. In fact, if your daughter gets bored, take her to the outdoor picnic/patio area and let her run around. Good views of the city, too.

celfan Mar 27th, 2003 05:17 PM

Don't go to Sox Park. It is a sterile place in a dangerous neighborhood.