Wrangell St Elias or Denali????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be able to spend 2 nights near either one, or the other....
Do we go from Valdez to Wrangell, or skip it and go to Denali with an overnight in Paxson..

We will be at the end of a 2 week trip.
Opinions?
Thanks!
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:59 AM

Both are definately worthwhile. I suggest you do your homework and find out which are is the most interest to YOU. By far the Wrangell is far far less developed. I find flightseeing and getting to Kennicott/McCarthy a must do.

HOW are you planning on going to Denali Park with an overnight in Paxson?? You do realize, most rental car companies do NOT allow you to drive on the Denali Highway?? If you do get an independent rental that does allow it, average speed is only 20 mph, essentially taking most of a day. Going via Fairbanks, is a long way around, and if there, Fairbanks is worth a visit.

What is the rest of your routing?? You may be able to adjust it and fine tune this??
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Arrive Anchorage 5/31 3:00 PM- drive Girdwood-sleep Alyska Lodge

June 1/2 Seward. One day drive, visit sea life center, etc, one day Kenai Fjords Northwest Glacier tour. Sleep 2 nights Hotel Seward on BOGO(buy one get one)

June 3/4/5 Drive to and stay in Homer. June 3 Halibut cove in evening/June 4 Emerald Air bear trip/June 5 back up day for bear trip. Have a reservation for the 6th as well in case no ferry on the 5th.
Staying Northern Exposure cabin- Wild Rose BNB.

June 6/7 or Just 7 Ferry dependant- Valdez- Best Western on BOGO

June 8/9 Booked at Denali Highway Cabins- 2 night minimum. Figured good halfway point, plus want to drive Richardson hgwy. I understand Valdez to Paxson is 189 miles.

I just can not see leaving Valdez, stopping at WSE for the day ( Chitna 2.5 hrs fro Valdez if we drive straight thru....unlikely) then going to Paxson. Copper River lodge Not available at all...what to do? I simply can not imagine not stopping at Wrangell St. Elias- at least do Wrangell Air day trip.....

June 10/11 Denali- Drive Paxson-Denali up and over- 294 miles- 4.5 hours. Do show at night, on the 11th take the bus into the park. Overnight Denali Grand on BOGO

June 12 Talkeetna- McKinley flight seeing w/ glacier landing on BOGO. Overnight Talkeetna lodge

June 13- back to Anchorage- 5:00 flight back to New Jersey...

My struggle is in the whole Denali thing. I am sure we would love it- but the whole bus thing, plus crowds? Wrangell St Elias seems so wild, those mountains I think would be awesome, but I am just really confused.

Thanks for all of your help- you have been terrific- you turned me on the the Northern Lights book where I got the Kenai Fjords BOGO and the Hotel Seward BOGO....
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:33 AM

You are underestimating your driving time- Paxson/Denali park. I also think you are carried away with the 2 nights in some locations, mainly Paxson. Again, WHAT are you planning on doing there??? Would be FAR better adding a night at Denali Park- you really need it there in my opinion. You are not allowing any time in Fairbanks either.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:22 AM

There really isn't much in Paxson to justify 2 nights. If I were in Valdez, I'd go to Wrangell rather than making the trip all the way to Denali. If you are questioning the bus tours and the crowds in Denali, then go with your gut instincts and go to the much less touristy area of Wrangell/Kennicott.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 07:58 PM

marleyzoemom

You really need to decide if visiting Denali is worth it to you. There are many things to do in the park. Also, I don't understand going to Paxson at all. It's out of the way because the rental car agencies won't let you drive on the Denali Hwy (it's mostly a dirt road).

This is what I would suggest:

5/31 OK

6/1 Visit Crow Creek Mine if interested first thing in the morning to do some goldpanning. Spend about 1 and a half hours there then grab some sandwiches to go from the Bake Shop in Girdwood and proceed down toward Seward, stopping at the Wildlife Conservation Center (BOGO) if interested (about 45 minutes to visit). Get to Seward in time to visit Exit Glacier for 2 p.m. guided ranger walk that last 1-2 hours. After that visit the Sea Life Center. It's open until 7 p.m. Dinner where ever.

6/2 Day cruise

6/3 Drive to Homer. Maybe stop at Cooper Landing at the Princess Lodge for a cup of hot cocoa on the deck to stretch legs. Continue the drive passing thru Sterling. Before you get to Soldotna, there is the Town of Living Trees. It's where chainsaw artists work. It's kind of hokey but it's fun to get a picture in the 10 foot rocker or on the saddled salmon. Passing thru Soldotna, you'll head south along the coast. The drive is not overly scenic except for the volcanoes across Cook Inlet.

6/3,4,5 as planned. Try to have time for the Pratt Museum and the Ocean & Islands Center if possible. A drive out East End Road is also scenic with a stop at Fritz's General Store for pie. If you don't need the 5th for the bear trip, head back up the pennisula to about Cooper Landing so you don't have such a long drive to Whittier on the 6th (it's 5-6 hours without traffic problems. You also need to be at the tunnel by 15 minutes after the hour for a southbound on the half hour opening).

6/6 If you have stayed at Cooper Landing, stop at Begich Boggs Visitor Center and the Portage Glacier on the way to Whittier. Overnight in Valdez (if you cut a day in Homer, you could spend it here) There were ferries both Thurday's & Friday's last year. Fingers crossed for this year.

6/7 Leave by 8 a.m. for drive up Richardson Hwy stopping at Horsetail Falls & Bridal Veil Falls. Short walk at top of Thompson Pass, then stop at Worthington Glacier. Drive to Chitina, over the start of the McCarthy Rd until you cross the Copper River. Go down toward the river and check out the fish wheels. Lots of eagles, locals will usually explain how they work if you ask. Book a 2:30 p.m. flight on Wrangell Mt Air to McCarthy (scenic flight by snow covered mountains and glaciers). Also book 2 nights in Kennicott Lodge (BOGO). They will pick you up at the airport. Check to see if there is a free history walk after dinner or a slide program upstairs.

6/8 Morning 1/2 Day Glacier Hike with St Elias Alpine (BOGO). Ask Lodge to pack you a sack lunch for the hike. Afternoon take a ride or walk the 5 miles to McCarthy. Visit the little free museum, check out the historic hotel and have an ice cream from the general store. Van ride back to Lodge. After dinner, check about programs or relax in the chairs outside.

6/9 After breakfast, go on St Elias Alpine's Mine Tour if you're legs aren't hurting too much from the previous day. Early afternoon fly out back to Chitina. Long drive to the Palmer area. If you're not too tired, drive up to Hatcher Pass. The evening glow is very beautiful. You can always hike up to the Independence Mine if you have the energy.

6/10 Do an activity in the morning such as Muskox Farm, dogsledding museum or the mine. Drive to Denali. See visitor's center, and sled dog demonstration (be at bus pick-up by 3:30). May be drive first 15 miles of the park. Check in at hotel, maybe nap before the dinner theatre (8:30 seating?)

6/11 Shuttle bus, how long? Take food, water, binoculars for everyone. Get off the bus and hike or maybe hike on trails near park entrance. Better chance of wildlife sightings than at WSE.

6/12 Sleep in or morning activity (rafting or hiking.) Arrive Talkeetna in afternoon. Visit ranger station on B Steet. Climbers check in here before and after McKinley climbs. Short film and exhibits are very good. Walk around town. Check in at lodging. Be at airport one half hour before flight with glacier landing.

6/13 Breakfast at historic Roadhouse in Talkeetna. Drive to Anchorage and onward home.

These are just suggestions. I'll keep an eye on this forum if you have any questions I can help with. Also, i have a long trip report of this section (up to Denali) if you're interested.

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

We changed the end of the trip- how's this sound?
Whitier one night
Seward 2 nights- Kenai Fjords Northwest tour
Homer 3 nights- Emerald air Bear trip!
Valdez- 2 nights
Kennicott- one night- 2:30 flight in- 2:00 flight out
Sheep Mountain one night
Denali- 2 nights
Talkeetna one night- Flight seeing w/glacier landing....

Dropped Paxson, even though it meant giving up drive All the way up Richardson Hgwy.....
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:37 AM

Isn't it funny how you start out thinking a couple of weeks is plenty of time. Then reality hits and you want to go there, there, there and it keeps going. Same thing happened to me last year. I cut and reinserted several times.

I think you have a nice plan. It's a smart idea to keep in several days at Homer in case of weather since you're going to go see the bears. There are lots of things you can "pop" in and see down there.

I'm not sure if Whittier is where you're staying the first night or if it's the night before the ferry. Just alot enough time for the tunnel. If you are arriving by plane and your flight is delayed it could cause a problem. Do you have any activities planned for that area?

I'm glad you decided to include WSE. It was my second favorite place after Lake Clarke where we did an overnight to see the bears. We stayed at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge and I can't wait to go again. It's like WSE, not overwhelmed by people yet.

The flightseeing with glacier landing is amazing. We ended up being the only plane on Ruth Glacier the afternoon we went (sometimes up to 14 at a time) because it was a very windy day. I loved every second of it.

If I can help with anything please ask. You will have an amazing trip. I'm starting to make some preliminary plans for 2009. I can't wait!

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi Central Pa, Thanks again for all your help- I read your trip reports on Trip advisor- they were great.
We are pretty set, but still need to fill in some daily activities....I feel like we will be totally in love with Homer- I would like to spend the 4 nights there- then get up to whittier for the tunnel and ferry. I am a little concerned about that- we have reserved 4 nights in Homer- but can leave Friday or Saturday. If the ferry runs friday that will be fine. If Saturday we will stay friday night closer perhaps.
How did you reserve ferry? How do you know EXACTLY what car the rental will be for the ferry- do they enforce the length?
So many questions!
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 04:43 AM

You have gotten a better itinerary that looks great. I just wouldn't bother staying in Whittier.

Most cars will fit into the 2nd size from the bottom since that bottom size is motorcycles, and yes they are very strict about the lengths. If you are getting a midsize or smaller that size range is accurate.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

THANKS Budget Queen! You have been extremely helpful.

We will stay in Homer, then leave early. I hate to waste a night.....

Thanks again to all.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Hello again

Sorry about the delay. Out working in the field with employees and didn't take a computer.

The 2008 summer ferry schedule has been posted and the good news is the slow ferry is running on Friday, June 6th leaving at 2:45 p.m. getting into Valdez at 8:30 p.m. On Saturday the 7th, both the fast and slow ferries are running. Fast one leaves at 12:45 p.m. and gets in at 4:30 p.m. The slow one is the same as Friday. So now you can finalize that and proceed. The difference in the two are speeds and scenery. The fast one stays farther out in Prince William Sound so less chance of seeing wildlife (We saw nothing but birds). But if you are going to take a glacier boat or kayak trip while in Valdez it probably doesn't matter.

How to book? One of two ways. Directly from the state' ferry site:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

Another choice - When I booked passage, I used Viking Travel in Petersburg, AK. Very helpful and no extra charge for their services (licensed by the state to book on ferry system - one of the few that are). Viking Travel Hours: M-F 10-6 Saturday 10-5 (Pacific Time) Phone no. 907-772-3818 or toll free 800-327-2571.

When making your reservation, Viking Travel will hold it once it's booked for about 2 weeks before you make the payment if you ask (the state site is 24 hours). There is a fee for cancellation once it's been paid for whether you book with them or on the state's website. Small fee to make changes either on state's site or thru them.

The car fares this year are $105 for up to 15 feet and $123 for up to 19 feet. After the ordeal we had with the agency trying to upgrade us to a larger car since they had no small ones, I would probably pay the extra $18 and be on the safe side. Yes, they do pay attention to the size of the car, especially if the cargo area of ferry is near capacity.

Should you drive straight from Homer? It's about 4 to 5 hours if you're not delayed by slow traffic, accidents, or road construction (yes, even on Saturdays). The advice I got and followed was to stay closer the evening before (12:45 departure). We left Homer about 7 p.m. and stayed in Cooper Landing. Got to see a few things the next morning and definitely less stressful.

I'm getting excited for you. Guess I'm stuck with virtual Alaska travel this year, LOL. Glad to help with anything else.

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

You have been so helpful- I will surely reach out to you to ask more questions, so stay tuned?
Where in Oa do you live? I'm a Philadelphia girl- my brother is in Williamsport, I worked in Shippensberg for a while.....
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:13 PM

I've lived within 45 minutes of Harrisburg for about the last 20 years. I visit Philly a couple of times a year for fun, but Ship and Williamsport are both in my field area. Small world isn't it? Keep us updated as your trip unfolds and make sure you do a report when you get back. Glad I can help. The trip forums are my stress relief.