WPost Review of Dupont Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I've noticed that questions about this hotel come up every now and then. The Washington Post did a review in the Sunday travel section. U need to register at the site to read the reveiw, "Newly Renovated Dupont Hotel is Chic but Costly"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070805424.html
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does EVERY hotel need a $52 million dollar posh renovation?

The Jury hotel Dupont used to be a good, inexpensive option for that (rare?) traveler who just wants a basic room in a great location and is willing to endure basic decor and furnishings for a low price.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 05:51 AM

Thanks, heading there in a few weeks. FWIW, the article indicates that the room was $163 a night; I got one for $109 on Hotwire.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Debit--good deal!! Hopefully you'll hit cooler weather here...been terribly hot & humid of late.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the Jury's location was a little too prime for it to remain what it was and it was pretty threadbare prior to the renovation. It's still a good deal for a tourist visitor but it is now attracting more business class clientele.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 11:48 AM

I read the article while eating my bagel and coffee a couple of blocks from the hotel yesterday morning. I didn't consider it a review of the hotel really, just a complaint about prices! (But we got our room on Hotwire, we don't order room service, don't raid the minibar, and we didn't eat in the restaurant or have a drink in the bar -- for us, it was "just a hotel").

Debit, we're home now, and we really enjoyed our stay. If I didn't say so in my other post, the location is now our favorite in the city (and we've stayed all over the city in the past - Foggy Bottom, Georgetown, Arlington, Woodley Park, etc.)

By the way, if you happen to be there on a Sunday, there's an excellent farmer's market a block from the hotel.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 01:40 PM

Hi there,
we are going to be at the Dupont in August, I got 3 nights free by using my credit card points. My question is about breakfast places near the hotel. We don't want to eat in the hotel but looking for a place where we can get a quick and hopefully cheap breakfast before we start our journey in the morning.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 01:49 PM

One possibility is Teaism, which is a few blocks up Connecticut Ave (there are other branches near the White House and close to the Archives/Navy Memorial Metro stop).
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 01:55 PM

Another possiblity is the cafe at Kramerbooks (although I've never had breakfast there):
http://www.kramers.com/view.cfm?id=31
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

There's a Marvelous Market, Starbucks and a Firehook Bakery where u can get coffee, muffins, bagels etc. Kramers has breakfast, but its not going to be cheap. For a proper breakfast, eggs and stuff, u can walk a couple blocks to 17th & Q ST NW and there is a place called Trios http://www.triodc.com/. U can check and see if they still serve breakfast.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 02:02 PM

A few blocks walk through a pretty neighborhood is Trio's http://www.triodc.com/

It's an institution- old school style diner food by day with outdoor seating and also a hangout/bar in the evening.

Kramerbooks has a nice cafe with creative breakfast food. A great place for brunch with an intellectual flair, but pricey. Steps from the hotel.

I agree- Teaism is lovely for healthy meals, any time of day.

On the other side of Dupont Circle there is a Krispy Kreme if you are feeling naughty.

Plenty of Starbucks locations in the area too, of course.

Or walk over to Whole Foods and build your own breakfast of healthy foods and take it to Dupont Circle to eat outdoors.

Also, the little cafe in the Phillips Collection gallery is nice and soothing, but of course, in DC it can be galling to pay admission to a museum when so many are free (but I do love the Phillips.)
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM

Excellent info! Thanks so much.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 05:31 PM

There's a dive bagel place on the ground floor of the bldg at the corner of P and 21st or 22nd a couple of blocks from the hotel. Cheap, and pretty good. It was packed Sunday morning.

We stopped at Firehook Saturday morning - I liked the blueberry muffin, although I thought it was a little dense (and my DH thought it was a little dry, go figure).

We walked through Kramerbooks and looked at the cafe menu - "not cheap" is an understatement.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 07:11 PM

You can also wander up to Adams Morgan (18th, near Florida) to the Diner. Washington isn't a breakfast town, in the sense that people either go very cheap (Starbucks) or very expensive. There isn't a lot in between.