Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Would you pick Maui or the Big Island? (along with Kauai)

Notices

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Hubby and I are planning a trip back to Hawaii this summer...went last summer to Oahu, Big Island, and Maui. My husband wants to try Kauai this time, so as long as flights aren't too expensive to Kauai, we are going to spend our 1st week in a condo on the North Shore.

Here's the tough, agonizing decision...would you go to Maui or the Big Island for your second week? We loved both of them the last time around. We want to stay in a resort for the 2nd week, and will probably Hotwire or Priceline this.

Our main objectives this time around are to relax and soak up the Hawaiian atmosphere. We ran around A LOT on the last trip! We want to snokel, lay by the pool, eat out, et cetra...

HELP!! We can't decide
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Not intending to be rude but haven't you asked this same question several times already and received a number of replies?
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
You're not being rude at all...it's a similar question certainly! I asked before which of the 3 we should chose if we were only doing 2, and I received great replies.

We have since decided on Kauai, so now wondering which island would be a better compliment to that since that is the one we haven't visited before.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:46 PM

I think the starkness of the Big Island would be an interesting companion to the lushness of the north shore of Kauai. Just FYI, if you haven't chosen a condo on Kauai, we stayed in Princeville at Pali Ke Kua (#106), through www.kauaivacationrentals.com, who are extremely helpful with a great website. I have lots of details in my Kauai trip report here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34508517

love
roxy
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Since you've been to both already, why don't you return to the one you both enjoyed most?
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:32 PM

I'd do a week on the north shore and a week on the south shore. Two weeks on Kaua`i is heaven O.
-Bill
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:59 PM

I haven't experienced the Big Island but LUVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV Maui!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Roxy: Your trip reports are always so helpful, thanks! Which of the 3 islands you've visited is your favorite and why?
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 12:03 PM

Beachgirl,

I've always struggled with the question of which island is my "favorite", there's so many things I love about each of the three islands I've visited.

Obviously, I LOVE the north shore of Kauai, with the achingly beautiful waterfall streaked mountains that are seen with no effort at all, simply by driving along the highway or rolling down to the beach. One of my fondest memories is of floating in the water at Tunnels Beach and not knowing which vista to gaze at first. That and the unforgettable kayak trip up the Na Pali coast, surrounded by the electric turquoise water, immense green spires, and waterfalls plunging into the sea...me, out there, a little speck next to the grandeur of a part of the island that only those who truly seek it out can be intimate with.

I love Maui for the string of golden crescent beaches of Wailea (with the stunning views of neighbor islands), some of which we found empty for our early morning snorkel jaunts. I also love the ease of access to the Hana area's waterfalls and jungle hikes. Kauai's waterfalls are not nearly as accessible and swimmable.

And finally, I love the vastness of the Big Island, the ever-changing landscape punctuated by hidden gems like black sand beaches, warm pools, and steam rooms. The BI had a peacefulness that I found was different than the other two islands, deeper and more subtle, maybe more zen, as though the island is waiting to embrace you with a warm wind and whisper an ancient secret in your ear when you are ready to hear it.

For how much I am awestruck by the north shore of Kauai, I always think that it's the Big Island that calls to me the most, in a far off, ethereal way.

Does that help?

love
roxy
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Beachgirl86,I can tell by your posts that you love Hawaii and I can tell because I also love the Hawaiian Islands.I've been 5 times and would love to go back.Kauai is my favorite island and I spend most of my vacation time right there.
If you love Kauai you will certainly love the 'Kauai' of Tahiti called Moorea.The scenery,the mountains,the ocean,the people,the absolutely gorgeous island of Moorea will leave you in awe...
It's like Kauai 20 year ago...If you ever get a chance to go,take my word for it "GO"
Hope you don't mind me jumping in with this suggestion?!!
From one Hawaiian Island lover to another...
Debbie