Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Would You Have Been Bummed About This? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/would-you-have-been-bummed-about-this-435672/)

bonniebroad May 26th, 2004 05:49 AM

Would You Have Been Bummed About This?

We got into the Holiday Inn Chesapeake House a couple of days ago, after a nine hour drive. We knew they had been replacing carpet the week before when we came through, but at that time only had to deal with bare hallways and rolls of padding. When we arrive Thursday, the clerk says they have upgraded us to the 5th floor, so I thought "great." (She said because we were Priority members.)

THEN we arrive on the 5th floor, which is nothing but dust, rolls of carpet, and a machine that operated with a SCREAMING roar. (What made this an upgrade was that it was on the highest floor with a balcony......... overlooking the roof and parking lot. The room was dark and dreary.) Even when you stepped into your room, you could barely hear the other person (and this was with the machine at the other end of the long hallway, and this was to go on continuously until evening.........we arrived at 3:00 PM!)

So I called down, expressed my displeasure in a civilized tone.......... so they offered to move us to the second floor, where "there wasn't as much going on", she said..........

We step off the elevator on the second floor, and the most sickening odor of hot carpet glue hit us, where they were gluing down carpet. By the time we walked all the way to the end of the corridor, and got into the room, the odor was not as bad, and I was so tired that I didn't want to have to move again so I said we'd take it. Getting in there, we discover ONE queen bed, when we'd requested two doubles or a king, and it's an efficiency, so appliances, which we did not need, are taking up a lot of the regular space. The bed was hard and small... in total, we were very unhappy.

I fully expected the room rate to be discounted when the bill was slid under the door in the wee hours. It was not.......... so I expressed my displeasure at the desk until the general manager knocked 40% off the bill. (They would not have, had I not just stood there....... unmoving, I'm convinced.)

What would you have done?

rb_travelerxATyahoo May 26th, 2004 05:59 AM

I would have confirmed what adjustments they would be making BEFORE I stayed in the room for the night, or I would have left for another hotel. It's hard to get financial satisfaction after you've used the room for the night, or in the case of restaurants, already consumed your meal. You must reject the product or compromise with management on an acceptable price before utilization.

[I seem to remember another post about this location and hot water?]

Cassandra May 26th, 2004 06:04 AM

I would have done exactly what you did, at the very least. Might have demanded they find a room on another floor still. But I really think that, barring utterly paralysis with fatigue, I might have got on the phone and tried to find a room in another hotel/motel, and then demanded they cancel my reservation without penalty.

bonniebroad May 26th, 2004 06:12 AM

rb_traveler, if you read my post closely, you will see that I MENTIONED visiting the hotel the previous week!!! I AM NOT A TROLL! I simply visited the hotel twice in one week!!! The previous week, along with carpet being replaced, there was indeed no hot water for four hours!!!!

We were traveling with a pet, otherwise, we would have been out of there pronto, but very few places allow pets. Thanks for your reply, Cassandra.

LN May 26th, 2004 06:13 AM

I honestly feel that, if you had been there a week before and they were replacing carpeting then, I would NOT have stayed there so soon.

Is there a special reason you ALWAYS stop at Aberdeen Maryland?

If all of this happened to me I would have left the hotel after cancelling my stay and found suitable accommodations elsewhere. This is not worth a reduced rate!

bonniebroad May 26th, 2004 06:24 AM

LN, we visit family in New England, and this is a great half-way break in the 15 hours of driving. Before these past two stays, this hotel has been wonderful.......... beautiful indoor pool, great restaurant, and never a problem with cleanliness in the rooms, as in so many pet-friendly places.

I did not realize, when coming through the week before, that they'd leave floors "open" when doing the nitty-gritty of the carpet work. The place really should be closed for work of that type, OR they should advise you of the extent of the repairs when you reserve, and at least, offer you half-off if you want to stay there. The only reason we stayed, amid all the mess, was that we had the dog with us! It is extremely difficult to find hotels in that area that allow pets (that I would stay in!)

aks0516 Jul 26th, 2004 02:51 PM

While not appreciating that the hotel had to do its renovations during YOUR stay, I do have some problems with your attitude and approach.

YOU chose to stay at the hotel. Your motives--the pet situation--is irrelevant. If the hotel was satisfactory enough for you to stay in, then you are simply dickering on price. ANd I agree, the time to do that is at the start of the stay, not after you have used all the services. The hotel was in the right place for your circumstances--you chose to travel with pet. So you decided you would stay, then extort the money out of them in the morning. If you didn't like the price or the room or the noise, then you should have left. Instead, you were just another trying to take advantage. You used the facilities and services which you acknowledge other hotels did not make available to you--pet accommodation--then "stood there" in the lobby until you got your way. Bad form. And we wonder why hotels don't look on us as guests anymore? Everybody is out to beat somebody.

bluestructure Jul 26th, 2004 03:00 PM

Troll...

E Jul 26th, 2004 03:02 PM

Oof, bb, you've taken a beating in this thread! Yes, I would have been bummed, and yes, it sounds like they should have not have tried to sell rooms on floors with that kind of renovation going on. But: you could have left. You didn't, for a variety of reasons. And you forced management to compensate you for the inconvenience you suffered with a healthy discount. So I think you made out fine, in the end.
It's a clear tradeoff: do the unpleasant work of calling around to find another hotel, or stay and suffer an inconvenient room.

Rosemary1 Jul 26th, 2004 03:14 PM

I would have picked up Fido and high-tailed it out of there.

You said you knew they were replacing the carpet; are you unaware what that entails?

bluestructure Jul 26th, 2004 03:23 PM

This post is a couple months old and im sure bonnie will do things differently in future. aks0516 criticism was uncalled for esp digging up an old post like this.

bonniebroad Jul 26th, 2004 03:32 PM

Guys..... have stayed at this hotel twice since, still on the best of terms with the front desk (same people still working desk), the work is all done and they're back to their pre-carpeting excellence. Everybody, go stay at the Holiday Inn Chespapeake House, Aberdeen - clean well-kept rooms, great restaurant, indoor pool, staff!

ronkala Jul 26th, 2004 04:40 PM

I would have contacted bunchargum to see what advice she had.