Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Would you go to the Boat House for lunch during winter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just know the restaurant "Boat House" from "Sex and the City". I've never been there and we will be in NY mid March. Would you go now during the winter or should one wait till it gets warmer??
Also, we'll be of course walking the Brooklyn Bridge like we've done before to have pizza at Grimaldi's. But since it's now cold I read that someone suggested to take the subway to Brooklyn Heights and then walk back. I think I will take that advice. I'm just curious if there's something else to see or do in Brooklyn while we're there? Any cool discount stores or fun areas to see close to Grimaldi's? Appreciate any advice
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 09:17 PM

Grimaldi's is adjacent to an area called Dumbo which has many art galleries and furniture shops and a Jacques Torres Chocolates. Plymouth Street has appeared in scores of movies, commercials, and TV shows.

If you go in the opposite direction there is Brooklyn Heights with its historical residential architecture. If you continue walking toward Atlantic Avenue you will find Sahadi's, one of NY great spice stores.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 05:10 AM

I believe its only open for lunch in the winter, and its spectacular in the Summer, so I would wait for warmer weather and try to sit outside on the deck on a beautiful summer or Fall day... I also think I read that the operators of the Boat House will be taking over the Tavern on the Green in the near future....... have Fun!
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 06:03 AM

The boathouse is a great place to eat any time of year that you are going to be in that area. Like when you are visiting the Park or the Frick Museum. On one of these boards a few weeks ago, someone worried about figuring out when to plan a late lunch after a morning at Statue Ellis and the World Trade Center Site -- One shouldn't add a boat house trip to that itinerary day.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 09:38 AM

The only time to go to the Boathouse for a meal is when you can enjoy the view outside during the daytime hours. I think the winterscape would be stunning there; it's very wooded.

The food is fine, but dinner there, without the view, is a bit flat.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 03:11 PM

I had lunch there on one very warm December day. It was really quite pleasant with views of the lake and Central Park West. But then, we live in NYC and just sort of stumbled in on a whim. But, quite frankly, I don't think it's worth an expedition.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 03:38 PM

For now, it's the only place to eat in the Park. There are other options for a C.P. view though.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 04:49 AM

Agree that lunch at the Boat House on a sunny day is quite nice but maybe not a must do.

There is LOADS to see and do in Brooklyn. The Brooklyn Heights Promenade has iconic views of the Manhattan skyline and there's frankly much better food in Brooklyn Heights than Grimaldi's. Brooklyn Heights is to the right as you get off the bridge but on the left, as mentioned, DUMBO has lots of art galleries and shops. http://nymag.com/visitorsguide/neigh...heights-dumbo/
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for some great suggestions and ideas! I will definitely check out Brooklyn Heights this time I'd like to take that picture with the bridge in the background that they show in so many movies.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM

We had a lovely lunch at The Boathouse this past Nov. It was a gorgeous Fall day, we took a row boat ride on the lake after lunch which was very memorable. Have fun in NYC! ***kim***