Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Would like to hear from stranded travelers (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/would-like-to-hear-from-stranded-travelers-189148/)

Louis Sep 13th, 2001 05:45 AM

Would like to hear from stranded travelers

I was on a flight from Asia to the United States that was diverted to Northern Canada and here I sit. The plane was diverted to Edmonton Canada and we have been stuck here for two days. No rental cars are available and it may be next week before we get out. Hotels are expensive and outside of the giant mall and the nice downtown library with internet access, there does not seem to be much to do here. <BR> <BR>I need to get home to Orlando, FL but it is a 40 hour drive home if I had a car. I am actually thinking of buying one and driving it home but am told it is difficult because I am not a citizin of Canada. In the mean time I wait and wait. <BR> <BR>Why isn't there other people writing about being stranded to a City far from home? Help!

Rhonda Sep 13th, 2001 06:15 AM

Hi! My parents are stranded in Toronto. They were there for a anniversary party. Plane was due to leave today. We live in Canada and our home is only two and half hours by plane from Toronto. I have been checking the Air Canada website- nothing so far in changes since last night. My parents are considering taking Grey Hound Bus home if things don't start moving soon. I know the bus may be a long trip home for you but it could be an alternative if you don't hear anything soon. Good Luck! Edmonton is a beautiful city!

XX Sep 13th, 2001 06:26 AM

I can't feel anything but disgust for your problem of getting your sorry self home and wondering why no one is writing stories about you being stranded. Try thinking about all of us here in NYC trying to dig out loved ones in 7 stories of rubble you coward..You should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting that your situation is important enough for anyone to write about. <BR>And for all of you asking questions about your upcoming vacations...maybe you should all take a break from thinking about these trivial things and pay attention to more important things. <BR>For all of those who have shown here their great concern for the situations in NYC,DC and Boston ..God Bless You all for your thoughts and prayers.. <BR>God Bless America!!!!

Louis Sep 13th, 2001 07:04 AM

I found the last reply complaining about people who had serious troubles getting home to be quite mean sprited. <BR> <BR>In no way am I or any other stranded people downplaying the serious loss of life in Washington, NY or PA and the problems the country is facing with crazy people blowing up planes. While there are some terrible stories out there life goes on for most of us and we continue to face our own issues. <BR> <BR>When can life go back to a period of normal? Every day millions of people on this planet face serious issues of life and death. Does that mean that the rest of us can not live and enjoy life, or in my case attempt to get home to friends and family. Why can't the other members of the community exchange stories related to being stranded, must all the news be able death and dispair? Yes the situation at the World Trade Center and other places is terrible, but we must move ahead and in my case I want to go home, what is wrong with that?

traveller Sep 13th, 2001 07:06 AM

Have a little patience, XX. It must be very frustrating to be stranded somewhere and perhaps with little money to maintain yourself while you are there. <BR> <BR>I understand, OP, that the airports may be opening up on a limited basis today or tomorrow and their first priority is to get the stranded planes home. However, they are being quite silent about whether or not passengers will be allowed to board or whether the planes will be sent home empty. <BR> <BR>What we all must remember is that this is a time of INTERNATIONAL crisis and as such, no rules apply. <BR> <BR>Good luck to you in Edmonton. Really, there is quite a bit to see and do. Give the city a chance. They are also bursting at the seams with stranded travellers and the stress that all of us are feeling right now.

Pauline Sep 13th, 2001 07:12 AM

To XX, <BR> <BR>We all have great sympathy for what has happened in NYC & Washington (the USA have now joined the rest of the world community re terrorist attacks) and our thoughts & prayers are with the survivors and the families of the deceased & un-accounted for souls. <BR> <BR>UNFORTUNATELY or 'MORE FORTUNATELY' life does go on. The people who committed this act, wanted (IMO) to paralyse the US of A. And they succeeded. For a short while. The postings of Louis & Rhonda, say to me, life goes on. <BR>I don't think they are insensitive . Are you personally trying to dig out loved ones or are you referring to the rescue personal who have that ghastly task?? Only 48 hours after the first attack and the smells are of decomposing bodies in ground zero. <BR>People cope with trauma in different ways. DON'T ever condemn someone about how they cope with a trauma, unless you are living in their shoes. <BR>For many, many people world wide, they feel sympathy for America, about what has happened to their innocent citizens. <BR>BUT, whether we like it or not, life does go on. <BR>There for the grace of god, go I.

xx Sep 13th, 2001 07:13 AM

up

Joanne Sep 13th, 2001 07:14 AM

Louis, <BR>Of course there's nothing wrong with exchanging stories about travel (or inability to travel!) on a travel board! The New Yorker who criticized you has been under a lot of stress this week and is just overwrought. <BR> <BR>Being stranded far from home is more than an expense and an inconvenience. Our loved ones are worried about us, and need comforting in this terrible situation, even if they were not affected directly. There are stranded travelers who are running out of medications, whose small children don't understand why they're not there, whose businesses can't function. <BR> <BR>In Boston, our local truck-rental place mentioned that if you're willing to drive a truck, you can get one. Have you called Ryder, U-Haul, or their Canadian equivalents?

Stephanie Sep 13th, 2001 07:42 AM

Is there any Amtrak service from Edmonton? Or buses that will take you to where there is Amtrak service?

traveller Sep 13th, 2001 08:16 AM

There would be no Amtrak service but you could try Greyhound to get you into Montana. The problem will be with getting across the border. I understand you must at least have photo ID and a passport would be better. Have you tried giving Greyhound a call? <BR> <BR>I believe the nearest Amtrak station is in East Glacier Montana but you would have to check that out. Perhaps someone from Edmonton is driving south and could give you a lift. Good luck.

Joanne Sep 13th, 2001 08:27 AM

Well, of course Amtrak doesn't run to Canada, it's a US enterprise. But there are trains that run through Edmonton. <BR> <BR>http://www.cwrr.com/Canpass/via/via.html

Stephanie Sep 13th, 2001 08:36 AM

Well, I once took Amtrak from NY to <BR>Montreal. <BR> <BR>In any case, I was only trying to suggest the stranded travelers might be able to find a train or bus service that would get them to the nearest Amtrak station and from there , work there way home.

Suzie Sep 13th, 2001 09:07 AM

Actually Amtrak does go to at least 2 Canadian destinations, Vancouver, BC and Montreal. But that still doesn't help Louis much does it? Maybe he can be helped today as air traffic starts up. Good luck Louis.

jeannie Sep 13th, 2001 11:04 AM

To Louis -- Don't feel bad about writing. I had considered going to my local airport to see if I could offer any help, but it was closed to the public before I could get there. I'm not trying to be smart, but maybe we haven't heard from too many stranded posters because a computer is not convenient and they are concentrating on finding a way home. In my small town, there is only one cybercafe and the public library. The internet terminals at the library are always full, even without a national disaster.

Have Sep 13th, 2001 02:49 PM

Someone mentioned that the airlines may be operating soon. I live in Chicago and just saw a commercial airplane pass over-head! I stared at it with something ridiculously close to joy for a few moments -- never previously thought I'd welcome that particular noise!

Celeste Sep 13th, 2001 05:05 PM

I live in Orlando, where of course MANY tourists are stranded at the airport, and am angered to hear some of the car rental agencies are asking $2000 for a car rental! I know we live in a supply and demand world, but I'm really disgusted that they're taking advantage of the travelers this way, with all that went on this week.

JxF Sep 13th, 2001 05:30 PM

- <BR>I think the suggestion to take the train to either Vancouver or Montreal might not be a bad idea. If you're trying to get back to Florida, obviously Montreal would be better option to get you closer (albeit not a whole lot closer) to your final destination. PLUS, Montreal is a GREAT city to visit with lots to keep you busy (is this too much "making lemonade out of lemons" philosophy ???).

HelenV Sep 13th, 2001 06:36 PM

Louis and all other stranded: I logged in to Travel Talk to hear from people just like you! Glad to hear your thoughts. I'm thinking about you people and praying for a swift end to your problem. <BR> <BR>This will take your posting to the TOP! Helen V

Jackson Sep 13th, 2001 06:59 PM

Louis -- my husband loves Winnipeg (we are in the American south) for godknowswhat reason. Said there's a really good Indian restaurant there. <BR> <BR>I find it, frankly, easier to relate to the boredom and trapped feeling you are having and to the problem of how to get you out of there than I can to the acutely horrific agony of those in NYC and Washington. <BR> <BR>I imagine a lot of people are trying to get on line and write to friends/relatives. Only a peculiar sub-group are likely to be Fodorites! <BR> <BR>I would think it may take a piece-meal approach to getting home: get to another big city or get to the US and take it from there. Like get the train to Detroit/Windsor or Toronto, etc. etc. <BR> <BR>But thank god for email and telephones, yes? <BR> <BR>Louis -- where were you when they announced the diversion to Canada? What did they say? How much did you know?

juli Sep 14th, 2001 06:33 AM

Louis: <BR>I understand that you feel the comments where mean spirtied but the fact that you could complain about being stranded with nothing to do seems very insignificant. <BR>The reason you cant fly is because the air was not safe. Why dont you turn on the news and see that all the terrorists may not have been killed. Right now oyur stuck in Canada, and probably safer then we are in NY. So be thankful you got on the ground at all. <BR>You and all the other travelers will get home. It may take ahile but god willing you will make it home in one peace. <BR>Right now there are thousands of families here in the city that wish they where anywere other then a building waiting to find a small piece of a loved one. <BR>I am sorry if this seems harsh and unsympathetic but my sypathy is all used up in NYC.