Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Worst restaurants in Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/worst-restaurants-in-maui-420364/)

kajebu Apr 8th, 2004 12:47 PM

Worst restaurants in Maui

Ok, everyone rights about the best restaurants, but what about the ones that should absolutely be avoided.

fivestar Apr 8th, 2004 12:52 PM

99% of the restaurants are great, but the worst place I have ever eaten at is Humuhumu's at the Grand Wailea. The concierge at the hotel I was staying at tried to tell us that the food was terrible but we went anyway. The fish was so dry we couldn't eat it, the waiter was slower than molasses and they served our chardonnay luke warm. Never again!

here_today_gone2Maui Apr 8th, 2004 01:26 PM

Dennys.

travelisfun Apr 8th, 2004 01:39 PM

Okay, this restaurant usually gets great reviews, but I had a terrible experience at Sarrento's. We were seated at a fine table and had to wait over 10 minutes to get a glass of water. We were never given menus, but we thought that like some nicer restaurants, the waiter would just tell us the night's menu, so we waited (for at least another 10 minutes). Finally, I had to GET UP and walk across the room to find a waiter to ask if we were supposed to have menus. They finally realized that we were sitting there and we were served, but no apology or acknowlegement that we'd been there for 20 minutes with barely a glass of water. Terrible service.

That said, it seems to be an isolated incident, but I had to share. It was the ONLY dining experience in Maui that I was disappointed with.

pspercy Apr 8th, 2004 04:41 PM

Longhi's Lahaina together with Fish & Game in Kahana.

gyppielou Apr 8th, 2004 05:15 PM

sorry folks, Cheeseburger Paradise is the worst.....great view, but the island is full of good views, why not have a good burger rather than a less than fast food burger....with a whole island of views, you don't need to buy their view

carbogilligan Apr 8th, 2004 05:20 PM

We personally didn't care for The Mixed Plate in Lahaina. Others raved about it but we were disappointed in the food.

crazy4Hawaii Apr 8th, 2004 06:58 PM

I was not impressed with Cheeseburger in Paradise either. And what a snotty hostess! The only time I've not been made to feel welcome in Hawaii.

Marilyn Apr 8th, 2004 07:59 PM

I thought Mixed Plate was fine. There's been so much buzz about it that people expect something other than what it is -- a casual low-key lunch place with plastic silverware.

kbaharozian Apr 9th, 2004 05:53 AM

I thought Longhi's in Lahaina was fantastic! Great place to catch the sunset!

Tasha440 Apr 9th, 2004 01:18 PM

Another vote for Cheeseburger in Paradise. Terrible service, crowded seating, food ok at best. The hostesses and servers seem to think they are doing you a favor providing basic service. We went once for dinner, then gave them a second try for breakfast, thinking maybe the first visit was not their "standard". However, it turned out they do breakfast just as lousy as dinner!

We have dined at their location on Oahu, and it was great. The menu is the same; however, the food and service was very good.

SEW Apr 9th, 2004 03:31 PM

I've had a great dinner and my worst dinner in Lahaina at Longhi's. The worst was a service issue, after we were seated by the hostess it took about 20 minutes before we saw a waitperson. We were sitting at a table right next to the bar area. (Bob Longhi was sitting there drinking with his buddys).

Everyplace else was a dream compared to that.

Rusty Apr 9th, 2004 04:10 PM

All of the restaurants mentioned have had great reviews previously (except Dennys) which proves that every restaurant or business fails its clientele in some way from time to time. People should complain if they have a bad experience, and the measure of a good restaurant or business is how they handle the complaint.

BayArea Apr 9th, 2004 04:25 PM

You won't see the worst restuarants in Hawaii, because like the worst restaurants in your home town, you cruise by, it looks like a dive, an empty dive. You move on.

Cheeseburger in Paradise does seem to deserve it's best worst following. It has such hype that some many people will go there thinking it's going to be great, it's so popular, but really, it isn't.

Humuhumu, Mama's, Sarrento's can all have off nights. I was not terribly impressed by the food at Mama's when I was there, though I grant that maybe they do better at other times.

lahainaluna Apr 9th, 2004 04:56 PM

pspercy: Can I ask what was it that you didn't like about Fish and Game? Anything in particular? I have heard great things from friends. thanks,

kikahead Apr 9th, 2004 05:58 PM

I too did not like Fish and Game--bland fish and dry, tough steak. In addition our server was a little...not rude, just not friendly. It was the type of service where you'd feel uncomfortable asking for a refill of water. Then again, we live in SF so we are spoiled with the great food.

I liked Cheeseburger in Paradise.

JeffKaanapali Apr 10th, 2004 08:42 AM

I LOVE Fish and Game and abhor Cheeseburger in Paradise. People usually don't go to Cheeseburgers for the food.