Search

Worst Hotel Stories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worst Hotel Stories

What's the worst hotel experience that you have had. We drove from Philadelphia to Myrtle Beach and had the last room available. I checked in , paid , recieved the key,and went to get my wife. Realize we were in the car for 9 hours. We're on the 3rd floor. On the 3rd floor there was a big hillbilly sitting on the bed naked in one of the rooms. We get to our room and there is a hole in the bathroom door (somebody kicked it in). The bed was amess with hair in it and the toilet had the same. To top it off there was no shower curtain. Mywife did't put down her bag and walked to the car. I went tothe office and was told to pound sand. We laughed it off. Never go sight unseen.

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 09:39 AM

"Never go sight unseen."

I'm confused by that last statement. So are you saying you should never go to a place where you haven't been before so you can see a hotel before you book it? How does that work exactly?
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

We rented through a vacation guide. Looked like a great hotel on the outside, but you never know.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Since there are very few "real hills" along the the route from "Filthadelpia" to S. C., how did you recognize a "big naked hillbilly?"
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 12:20 PM

For some reason, the term "big naked hillbilly" has me in giggles! Is hillbilly really even a word?
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 08:05 PM

In a coupon book, found a good price at a motel that was part of a regional chain (I won't specigy the city or the motel, because my experience was so unusual for both). The parking lot had maybe six cars in it, so we figured we'd have no problem getting a good room. It should have been warnign that the only vacancies were on the third floor. The room they gave us had a broken door lock, a leaking sink, a bed with pretty much no blanket (this was in December), smoke alarms with the batteries ripped out, a smashed phone, and a non-functional TV. I asked for another room, and this second one was pretty much the same wretched condition. We finally just asked for our money back and got a full refund. The manager was actually quite agreeable; I guess he realized how bad all of his rooms were. The headquarters of this chain, after I wrote of our experiences, gave us a coupon for a free night's stay.

Like Sunrise says, never take a room before you get a chance to look at it.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 09:38 PM

Once when driving home from college by myself, I had car trouble and was forced to stop overnight in some town off I95. The tow truck driver told me I had 2 choices, a local motel or some chain (maybe the Hampton Inn). I was broke so I said the local place would be fine...Big mistake....

First off, it looked like the Bates Motel in Psycho but I was so tired that I didn't care. I checked in and went to my room. At a glance, it looked ok but wasn't. There were fleas or some other kind of insect in the bed and they were very fond of me. I decided to sleep in the chair but that wasn't going to work...and to top it off the phone would ring but noone would be on the other end. I was stranded and freaking out! I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep a wink that night. I never even bothered trying to get my money back--I just wanted to get the h-ll out of there at the first sign of daylight!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 12:54 AM

Speaking of flea bites, you should read some of the horror stories about Uncle Billy's (in Kailua) on TripAdvisor.. One woman's son woke up with dozens of bites. And that's not even the worst of it.. Bed sheets covered in dried blood, and when the guest complained to the front desk, they told her to "just sleep in the other bed".

Our personal worst was many years ago at the Peter Pan Motel in Santa Cruz, CA. The biker gang hanging out in front of the motel should have been a tipoff.. The front desk clerk was so stoned he could hardly move, and gave us a "What, are you nuts?!" look when we asked for a room -- a lovely room which featured gaping holes in the ceiling complete with water leaks, roaches crawling on the walls, etc etc. We were inside a grand total of five seconds before we went running to get our money back. Nothing else was available so we wound up sleeping in our car, and were happy doing it.