Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Worst/best airport for car rental pickup and return?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 10:28 AM
cfc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just back from the San Jose area (see my comment re: Joie de Vivre hotels), and was struck by the unnecessary inefficiency of the car rental system at SJC airport.

First of all, the signage both in the terminal area and getting you in and out of the airport is sparse and not particularly informative. Construction in the vicinity only makes it worse.

Despite the notations on car rental websites that they are "on airport premises," you still have to walk a ways or use a little shuttle to get to yet another larger communal shuttle that serves all the car rental companies clustered at some distance across the main feeder road from the terminals.

And lord help you if you are going to an "off-premises" rental agency -- it's still another shuttle and rather a long ride.

I'm used to dealing with the mild confusion of some people getting on while others are trying to get off the shuttles owned by individual agencies, but SJC's hinged vehicles were inadequate to carry everyone who needed to go between the two terminals and the car rental area. Not only did we wait while 4 shuttles to long-term parking went by before the rental car shuttle appeared (about 20 min.), but about half the people were unable to fit on board and were left behind to wait for another run.

I'm never fond of having to take a shuttle anywhere to pick up a car, but have made peace with O'Hare and, grudgingly, Boston. Much prefer places like Tampa and Seattle where the car rentals are housed right in the airport parking structure.

Any other nominees for best or worst?
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 12:39 PM

One of the best I've seen was Sacramento. There is one shuttle bus for all agencies that takes you to a single building very close where all the offices are. A shuttle comes by every couple of minutes it seemed like. And no matter what agency you are using, it takes you right there.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 12:43 PM

At Denver the car rental park is so far away, that it seems like a bus ride to another town. I hate it.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Providence, Manchester and Colorado Springs have taxes/fees/surcharges that add up to a whopping 40%. For that reason I consider those three among the "worst"!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 02:00 PM
GoTravel

If you want to bitch, rent a car in Miami airport. Quick way to become completely unglued.

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 02:06 PM

Really should be 2 categories to vote for both best and worst. -- its unfair to compare a small regional airport to the large ones. For big uns I agree with the two votes already -- San Jose is the worst and Denver no picnic either. You have to allow LOTS of extra time for returns. And that shuttle pick up in SJ that cfc describes has been my routine experience -- wait in a long line (after a long walk to the pick up spot) and miss at least one or 2 buses that are full. Minneapolis actually not too bad for a large airport -- no shuttles any more -- you take a short train ride from the terminal and up an escalator the the pick up spot.

For small airports you cant beat Kalamazoo MI
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 02:37 PM

I thought Minneapolis was a delight. However, returning to the Alamo/National lot in Las Vegas is a horror. It's not with the others, it's ill-signed, and there's only one correct way in.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 04:12 PM

Nashville is quick and convenient at the airp[ort--
Las Vegas is the pits--(Alamo) stand in line to get the shuttle to where the cars are---Then if you are not one of the first 5 people out of the shuttle you stand in line AGAIN...
Took me over 1 1/2 hrs on a weekday..
Amtrak Station in Philly was very efficient and quick---.except you had to find you car in the basement which after dark is very spooky!!!
I love Hertz "never lost system" guides you to return area with map and voice directions...However this does cost $8,00 a day--but sure is nice when driving alone.
Seattle is GREAT...
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 04:26 PM

I agree that Denver takes you very far to get to the rental cars. And returning cars at Phoenix is very confusing - you return based your Airline terminal,and the area is quite a ways from the airport. (I love name of Phoenix's airport, though - Sky Harbor).

I know it's not fair to compare a smaller airport to a larger one, but it is such a treat when in Tampa, you rent your car, and walk right across the street to the garage to get your car. No shuttles to deal with. I'm not a big Orlando fan to begin with, but by the time you fly into Orlando and wait for way too long to rent from Alamo in Orlando, it probably wouldn't take too much longer to fly into Tampa and drive to Orlando from there. With a lot less aggravation.

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 06:10 PM

I must agree on the ease of rental car facilities at Tampa. I wish all airport rental car facilities were that convenient!

Worst? In my experience, maybe LAX. A number of years ago I went by shuttle to the WRONG rental car agency, so I stood in line for shuttles TWICE and then stood in the rental car line TWICE... Stupid mistake on my part!! LOL Now, I stick with ONE agency no matter where I go. Works much better.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 06:12 PM

The best of the major airports is Calgary. Quick return to say the least. Last summer when I returned the car the gal with the handheld computer handed me my receipt as I got out of the car. I was checked in while I was still rolling to a stop. Tag number in, receipt out.

The worst I have found are Phoenix because of remoteness and taxes and Albuquerque for the same reasons.
Seattle is not bad if you rent from the majors that are "on airport".

The worst of them all though was Sixt in Munich. The car was upstairs over a vacant lot in a dark hole that gave me the creeps because it was so dark and deserted. (Nobody hears you scream!)
Fortunately, the car we rented had an automatic door opener that also flashed the lights. We pressed the button and the car responded. Otherwise I am not sure when we would have found it. It was like looking for it in a cave.

When we returned the car, the location was different from pickup. This time it was down in the catacombs of a parking maze. The access ramp was blocked and none of the employees would move the parked cars. The driver of the car transporter said his contract specified delivery at the entrance. The Sixt guys said moving cars off the street was not their job.
So typical German efficiency ground to a halt.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 06:25 PM

Go Travel, I'm with you on Miami. I've lived in South Florida for 28 years and have done business in Miami for most of them. But to this day if I have to pick up a rental car, I get lost trying to get out of wherever the lots are hidden. They gave me a map at National once which was totally inaccurate, and showed a road which literally didn't exist and another marked to follow that was one way the wrong way!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 07:29 PM

After reading these posts, I feel lucky that car rental has been so efficient and quick for the two cities where I most often rent: Portland, OR, and Des Moines, IA. Both have on site rentals and issue receipts as you drive up upon your return. To help with the tremendous fees at aiports, I usually book great rates through Priceline have never been disappointed.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Kal

The best for me is obvious. Lihue!
Nice walk after a long flight over to "Rental Row" while looking at all the scenery.

Sacramento does have a nice set up but I'm sure they will screw it up eventually. #39;(

Springfield, Mo. had a nice set up as well as Santa Fe but you really can't comppare their size with that of San Jose, SFO, Dallas etc.

Thee best was Molokai!
About 10 steps from the baggage pick up to the rental window.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 07:23 AM

another vote for Miami as the worst - it will make you crazy!!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 12:47 PM

LMAO....I hate Miami for car rentals also!! And God forbid you get there after the desk agents in the terminals close up!! There are hardly any signs outside telling you to wait outside the terminal and stand in the designated spot for your rental company to flag down the shuttle bus!! Who thought up this tactic? And the rental agencies are way out near nothing, so it's easy to get lost coming out of there!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 01:00 PM
emd

I think Providence is great if you rent form Avis or Hertz- you walk outside baggage claim, go 25 yards to the right, and there is the stand, and the cars are next to the stand in the parking garage. In Phoenix it's easy too, but you do have to take an elevator and a long walkway to the car rental for Avis (don't know if any others have cars onsite at airport and no shuttle bus; i think Alamo does now too?)
I've never noticed the fees others have posted about at those locations, probably because i am so happy w/the efficiency that I don't care (and I am generally frugal)
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 01:56 PM
CalgirlSusan

Yes, Miami! End of contest.

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 02:21 PM

I found the rentals for Omaha to be pretty convinient - all counters near baggage claim, cars right outside. But then it's Omaha, not exactly a large airport. Same with Rochester.

I've never rented a car at SJC since I live there, but I can see how there would be problems. If you fly into Terminal A, it doesn't seem like it would be bad - the counters are right there by baggage claim, the cars are in the parking garage just across the airport road. Terminal C is crappy all around - old, ugly, no jet ways.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 09:30 PM

J_Correa,

The rental cars used to be in the Terminal A GArage, but have since been moved to a separate rental car facility which is still on the airport premises, but requires a shuttle ride nonetheless. Having said that, I have rented cars at SJC several times and never had any problem. When you exit the terminal building you have to be careful which shuttle you board as there rental car, inter-terminal/long term parking, and the VTA shuttle to light rail and Caltrain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -