Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Worried mom needs California travel advice for daughter (and friends) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/worried-mom-needs-california-travel-advice-for-daughter-and-friends-817544/)

AlabamaMom Dec 12th, 2009 09:18 PM

Worried mom needs California travel advice for daughter (and friends)

Hello,
My daughter and two of her friends will be traveling to Los Angeles for the BCS bowl. All three are students at the University of Alabama. They will be flying into LAX and staying at the Hilton Airport Hotel (came with a travel package). We had to book this quickly because flights to LA were going fast after the SEC game.
My concern is driving. My daughter has driven in Atlanta a couple of times and Birmingham, Alabama (don't laugh). She has never driven on a freeway. I've been reading about the area where they will be staying and sources on the net say there are several unsafe areas east of where they will be staying.
Should the girls try to drive or should they rent a taxi? Is there another safe method of travel from LAX to the Rose Bowl (BCS) game?
Thanks for your advice,
L.A. (lower Alabama) Mom :-)

stumpworks73 Dec 13th, 2009 04:15 AM

LA is not a taxi city. The freeway system is complex and busy, but not unreasonably dangerous. Have your daughter well prepared with mapquest directions to all destinations. Get a rental car with a navigation system. Have a navigator so the driver is driving and not map reading. SoCal freeways are busy much of the day, so account for traffic on every trip. Take highway safety seriously when you are a visitor.

The LAX hotels are safe, but in a less than ideal area. The hotel and hotel parking should be secure. Don't walk around the neighborhood. Don't stop in the area gas stations or convenience stores after dark. Millions pass through the airport and the hotels without problems. Be smart.

HowardR Dec 13th, 2009 05:19 AM

How old are your daughter and her friends? I ask, since you mention that they are college students, which means they might not be old enough to rent a car!

HowardR Dec 13th, 2009 05:20 AM

PS; With your daughter's limited driving experience, I'd be a concerned about her driving out there, too.

DebitNM Dec 13th, 2009 06:01 AM

There may be a huge surcharge for an rental to a person under 25. Make sure you factor that into the cost of car rental.

DebitNM Dec 13th, 2009 06:05 AM

Sorry for the second post -- she will need a credit card in her name to rent a car, even if it is prepaid. I trust she has one with enough available credit?

I really think a young, inexperienced driver with little or no interstate, big city, huge amounts of traffic driving is a concern.

Perhaps they can arrange for a limo or other car service. Maybe there is a shuttle that hotel might have specially for the big game?

And make sure she gets insurance on the rental car.

Again, when you add in all the costs, a car is going to be $$$.

Barblab Dec 13th, 2009 07:12 AM

Have you contacted the company you got the travel package through for Rose Bowl transportation? If they are no help then I would contact the hotel and then the Rose Bowl for transportation suggestions. They will need to take freeeways the whole way and her driving experience in no way prepares her for the experience of drivng in LA and especially the gridlock around the Rose Bowl game day. Especially if she is timid at all in traffic.

As for getting around from the hotel the advise to not venture east is a good one. They could have a lot of fun taking a cab to the Manhattan Beach Pier (about $25 each way) and spending some time in the shops, eating and walking or renting bikes to ride the bike path. An alternative would be to go north and get a cab to Venice Beach and do the same.

They are goiing to have a great time!

kleroux Dec 13th, 2009 07:24 AM

Renting a car, assuming she is old enough to do so, might be a good thing for some local trips...to Santa Monica and Malibu, which I'm sure they will want to check out. But NOT to drive into downtown LA. Even experienced drivers avoid that traffic jungle. I think some sort of rose bowl public transportation is your best bet. There used to be public bus service to the Hollywood Bowl from point in the LA area, and maybe there is a similar transportation arrangements for the Rose Bowl. Check with the LA Chamber of Commerce if the hotel can't help. A limo is going to be very expensive and will also get caught in traffic. Good luck. They will have a ball if they keep their wits about them and don't do stupid things....like drink too much!

bratsandbeer Dec 13th, 2009 07:30 AM

If your daughter has never driven on a freeway LA is no place to start.
It may be smarter to find another hotel closer to the Rose Bowl that has transportation from the airport to the hotel and transportation to the Rose Bowl.

It may cost more but you wouldn't have car rental fees or gas to buy and parking. There is some info at this website.

http://www.tournamentofroses.com/ros...sportation.asp

beanweb24 Dec 13th, 2009 09:08 AM

Both Birmingham and Atlanta require travel on interstates. (Especially if she ever drove from one to the other.) Driving on a freeway isn't really any different from driving on an interstate. Has she ever driven on an interstate?

I learned to drive in Alabama and then moved to Washington DC at the age of 21. I did not have any issues driving in downtown Washington DC traffic (which can be a little nutty) or on the interstates in the NE.

I personally think the bigger challenge will be renting a car if she and her friends are under 25.

I also think that it would be good for you to try to keep your worry to yourself regarding their driving in LA. If you worry, they will worry...and if they worry, they will be less than confident and that's when they'll have a greater chance of something happening.

beanweb24 Dec 13th, 2009 09:12 AM

...so I just reread my last paragraph which seems kind of harsh, and I didn't mean it to be. :) It's totally normal to worry about your kids (I'm 36 and my parents still worry about me), but if there's any way that you can temper that emotion and instead provide them with helpful tips and words of encouragement, that will only serve to boost their confidence.

Hope your daughter enjoys her trip to the West Coast and that Bama does well in the game, even though I did graduate from Auburn. ;-)

Jean Dec 13th, 2009 09:47 AM

I'm an L.A. native, and I find some of the descriptions of driving here a bit overblown. But, having said that, because of the late hour of the return trip, your daughter's group should look into organized, group transport options to the Rose Bowl. I've seen fan buses leaving from the Beverly Hills Hilton Hotel and the Palomar in Westwood, and I suspect one or more of the airport hotels (either alone or working together) will offer transportation.

Have your daughter inquire with the company that offered her travel package, the LAX Hilton and/or the University.

Jean Dec 13th, 2009 09:51 AM

I forgot to add... There is a free shuttle service between the LAX Hilton and downtown Manhattan Beach. No need for a cab.

Jean Dec 13th, 2009 09:56 AM

From the LAX Hilton website, here's an email address for the concierge:

[email protected]
[note the underscore between laxah and hospitable]

AlabamaMom Dec 13th, 2009 02:20 PM

Thank you so much for the tips. I plan to call the Hilton directly on Monday morning. When I found out how far the hotel is from the Rose Bowl, I didn't consider that they might provide transportation. Several websites for tourists post that the Hilton is near a place called Inglewood and how dangerous it is and how the local area is gang infested. Although that frightens me, I have to remind myself that folks from other parts of the country think we have racial wars in the south (laughing here). Again, thanks for your help and thank God for the internet.
Alabama Mom

janisj Dec 13th, 2009 02:35 PM

OK - 1) LAX is about the worst place to stay if Pasadena is where they will be spending their time. Whether she had 20 years diving experience, or none. Can they change the booking?

They would have been much better off flying into Burbank and staying near there - but probably too late to fix things now.

2) Inglewood isn't great, but they will only be driving through it to get to the airport and hotel.

3) Driving to the Rose Bowl, parking, and especially getting out again will be an ordeal.

Jean Dec 13th, 2009 04:31 PM

The LAX Hilton is about a mile from LAX, in a straight line down a very busy street. Inglewood is not located between LAX and the Hilton, and your daughter won't be driving through or to Inglewood even if they drive to the Rose Bowl.

rkkwan Dec 13th, 2009 04:43 PM

The main hotel areas around LAX is totally safe.

It'd take 2 hours to drive from LAX to Rose Bowl if one doesn't use the freeway.

If you can't find a shuttle, they can always take the FlyAway airport bus from LAX to Union Station and then switch to the Gold Line lightrail to Pasadena.

Jean Dec 13th, 2009 06:38 PM

rkkwan, I was thinking the same thing. FlyAway to Union, Gold Line to Pasadena. Get off at Holly Street station, and there will be shuttle service three blocks away at the Parsons Building (Holly St. and Fair Oaks Ave.).

http://www.tournamentofroses.com/ros...sportation.asp

Jean Dec 13th, 2009 06:45 PM

Oops. The Gold Line station is called Memorial Park, but the pedestrian exit is to Holly Street.