World’s most expensive resort to be built in Hawaii for $2 billion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2016, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not built at the beachfront then. Interesting for a ocean themed hotel. Is anyone else looking forward to see this deal pull through?

http://www.spearswms.com/news/worlds...9#.VqicHeiLQdV
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 02:33 AM

Looks horrible. Hope it fails to be approved ( lots of hoopnjumping ahead).
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 05:46 AM

UGG first Disney, now this???
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 07:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think there may be an issue with calling this one complex the "most expensive resort."
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 07:57 AM

Seems an appropriate location as it fits in well with the neighboring Fantasy Land theme. And at least it's not the Big Island or Kaua'i.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:50 AM

I'm not a huge fan of Ko Olina because of location (I've stayed there at the Marriott time share, which is very nice, and much more low key than the big resorts), but I guess I'd prefer it there than elsewhere on the island (or other islands).
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 12:01 PM

A Dolphin experience? Does Atlantis understand how Hawaiians feel about offering that?

If they put so little thought into the project as they did that press release, it will be a disaster
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 05:21 PM

I guess out of all the islands Oahu and specifically Ko 'Olina actually fits the purpose of the Atlantis. It is a dedicated resort area so most people who go there will want a fully immersive resort experience. I am not too keen on the Atlantis (I went to the Bahamas one in my 20s and had fun but it is not my ideal type of vacation now). I think there will be a market for it though, and I'm sure people will flock to it just to check it out for the wow factor.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 05:12 AM

From the article:

"Although the deal is in final stages, there's no timetable for the Atlantis project and it still has to go through permitting and regulatory processes before construction can start."

That's never a given in Hawaii, e.g. this process took over 20 years before the Coco Palms on Kauai was allowed to be rebuilt. Permitting for new construction might take even longer imo.

Also imo this developer seems out of touch with popular awareness and opinion. Keeping marine life as pets in liquid zoos is increasingly being recognized for what it is, abject cruelty, especially for animals with higher intelligence like dolphins. I'm amazed it's not only still being proposed but touted as a feature for the new resort.

As for location, it's Oahu which is already a human zoo of its own. So imo thank God it's not on Kauai or Maui or the BI.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 05:35 AM

I think you are painting the Coco Palms history with a very broad stroke.

Too bad as much energy couldn't be put into stopping Atlantis and a Dolphin Experience as the locals have put into stopping the telescope on the BI which I personally support and think is good for the land and the historical significance of the Hawaiian people who landed due to studying the stars.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 05:39 AM

> I think you are painting the Coco Palms history with a very broad stroke

Not sure what you mean by that. The simple fact is, plans were proposed and not finalized for 23 years for the Coco Palms before reconstruction began. Time will tell how long it takes Atlantis.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 08:33 AM

Query - is the JW Marriott at Ko Olina being torn down, or just remodeled into a Four Seasons?
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 03:04 PM

The Four Seasons is a renovation and rebrand of the JW Ihilani. Additional Four Seasons residences may be built later.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 03:47 PM

thankfully not on Kauai
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 09:05 PM

When I was a youngster we would drive through the vast sugar cane fields and arrive at a locked gate. Once through the gate there were a couple of old time houses, an outdoor pavilion, a large lawn for luaus in front of 3 pristine lagoons. It was a piece of heaven on the Leeward coast.

Now it's the Ko'Olina resort to which I have never been to. No going back to those bygone days in Hawaii.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 10:26 PM

Coco Palms had a lot of problems that Atlantis will never have to deal with.
Coco palms spent years fighting with their insurance company, it was in an area where the residential neighbors no longer wanted the traffic or a hotel monopolizing the beach. Other people thought it a historic property and didn't want it torn down; they wanted a restoration. Etc, etc, etc.

Ko'olina is a dedicated resort area. There are no old homes, no one to complain about traffic, just big lots waiting for hotels. Any problems with permits will likely deal with their use of the shoreline and ocean. I can't stand the place, but the Atlantis will fit in perfectly with Ko`Olina.

I'd bet the Atlantis will break ground two or three years.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 10:58 PM

lcuy, the article mentions these resort plans have been "delayed" since 2005, but doesn't explain what the delay was, or even whether it's still an issue. Maybe the investors were simply waiting for land/building costs to bottom out before starting construction? Who knows. But they're already over a decade into the building process.

You're right about the Coco Palms, but wait until the animal rights and a dozen other advocate groups in that state get started. Groundbreak 2025 imo. Time will tell.

BTW speaking of Coco Palms, have they reopened the Seashell Restaurant yet? Half the articles we read say "early 2016" and the other half say it will reopen with or immediately before the resort does next year in 2017. If they've decided to wait until the overpass is built it's a very good call imo.
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 03:30 PM

Word was the "delay" was a money issue.

Don't think the Seashell has opened. I don't go to Kauai much anymore, but I'm sure it will be in the news when it opens.