Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Working in San Francisco (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/working-in-san-francisco-27939/)

S. Tomei Jun 30th, 1998 08:47 AM

Working in San Francisco

My company is sending me out to San Francisco for about a year to work. I would like to know what type of weather I will face, when I pack. The company I will be at is Montgomery Securities. If anyone can tell me where they are located.

J. Raine Jun 30th, 1998 12:44 PM

I have not been to San Francisco -- am going this summer. I have found that SF has several wonderful, very informative sites. Try www.sftravel.com, sfvisitor.org. Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>

kam Jun 30th, 1998 03:50 PM

Montgomery Securities is right in the heart of the Financial District in SF-----I think it's on Market near Montgomery!! You will need a raincoat, not a winter coat, we do wear business suits but not as formal as NYC, in some companies (my son works for one of your competitors--won't name them) Friday is "business casual. SF is fairly sophisticated in dress---your main problem is going to be finding affordable housing unless the company helps with that. You'll love it! SF is a great place for young executives, which I am assuming you are. Plan to have a wonderful year--and if you're coming from NYC, you're really lucky to be given a year out here! <BR>

SFSam Jun 30th, 1998 04:51 PM

The weather will be fairly cool most of the time. It varies a great deal depending on what part of the city you are in. The financial district has much nicer wether than the Pacific coast side where it is foggier and colder. <BR> <BR>San Francisco is a great city. I live just 45 miles south in Los Gatos. Housing is pretty expensive though I would say that it is no more than Silicon Valley. Rents are not far out of line with other major cities. The major problem comes in buying which I doubt you will do. San Francisco is more formal than other California cities but it is not nearly as formal as NYC or Boston. The weather precludes wearing shorts unless you are a tourist. There will be a few hot days but it is generally in the 60-70 range most of the year. The rainy season is in the winter with an average rainfall of about 20". This year was the second highest in history at 48". There is a great divesity of cultures and lifestyles which is one of the reasons that it is such a great place.

kam Jun 30th, 1998 05:01 PM

The advice you got from SF Sam is good---but, rather than the price of housing in SF, I was refering to the availability of housing!! You need to start checking the Cronicle listings if Montgomery doesn't help out with such things. Rentals should run about the same as NYC, however, SF is a very SMALL CITY---you need to find the apt., not be able to afford it!! SF is also a city of very small neighborhoods---you can cross a couple streets and be in an area that you really don't want to live in. You need the most help with housing, not with clothes!! <BR>

kam Jun 30th, 1998 05:06 PM

P.S. Pack one pair of shorts just in case the weather in SF ever gets above 80 degrees---sometimes it does for a few hours, or you might want to go to the beach!! You know the old advice about "LAYERING"? Well, we do everyday!! <BR>

Dan Jul 9th, 1998 11:28 AM

<BR>I am contemplating a move to the SF Bay area and I would like information on the communites and neighborhoods of the bay area and to the north. Can anyone help me?