Woody Guthrie Folk Festival...where to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking about going to the Woody Gruthrie Folk Festival in Okemah,Okla. Any folk music fans? Anyone been to this event? It is July 12-16 and as we sold our trailer and aren't camping anymore, we wonder what might be a good motel choice in Okemah or nearby Henryetta, Shawnee, etc. Some of the names are OK Motor, Circle G, Colonial, Gateway, Old Corral, Guesthouse Inn, Relax Inn, Sleepy Traveler, and more in larger Shawnee. Not many brand names where I usually choose...Holiday Inn, Days Inn, Super 8.

This little town of Okemah seems to really boost their native son once an embarassment to the town folks. But Woody Guthrie became quite an infuence and many musicians gather annually in his memory for performances. Among them is son Arlo and the opening concert the evening of July 12 is a 40th anniversary of "Alice's Restaurant."

Any advice appreciated about motels or more.
woodygutherie.com/Festival_Information.html

ozarksbill
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

No response yet. Just as I thought
...no one ever heard of Okemah and Woody Guthrie is long forgotten by many!

ozarksbill
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:06 AM

I looove Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Your Land"!!!

I hope someone can offer you some information Ozarksbill.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 07:15 PM

I got that song stuck in my head now, LOL.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Bill

I have a brother that lives right down the road to the west. If you can find a motel room nearby take it. You wont find much until you get to Shawnee and the OKC area.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 02:27 AM

I love Woody Guthrie too. I would love to hear more about your experiences at the festival. Please post a trip report!

Have you ever read the biography of Woody Guthrie by Joe Klein?
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

We are back from Okemah! Found a nondescript motel in next town, Henryetta. "WoodyFest" had wonderful sounds, some traditional folk, often mixed with jazz, blues, or contemporary folk with instances of jamming. Couldn't list all the performers...check
www.woodyguthrie.com/2006_Entertainers. htm for that.

This is basically one performance after another on Thursday-Saturday in the Crystal Theatre, Brick St. Cafe, or out at the Grape Ranch (where you sip wine under a tent). Outdoor performances in the evening in a park. And all free! Only cost is parking for evening show.

Things got started on Wednesday night at the Crystal with Arlo once again doing "Alice's Restaurant." But it was hot, hot, hot in Oklahoma. Too bad Woody was born July 14, the reason for the festival dates.

So Okemah now celebrates Woody! Wonder how many who love "This Land Is Your Land" as a American anthem realize what a rascally radical Okie dust bowl vagrant anti-rich hard drinking communist union-supporting singer Woody really was. He used to say "There ain't nobody that can sing like me."
Well, lots of performers surely try hard to sound forth at this festival.

ozarksbill
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

ttt

When did Woody Guthrie die? He died 1967 of Huntington's disease after some years of increasing disability which also afflicted his mother. Son Arlo was 20 at the time.

Were others victim of this disease? Unfortunately, two of his children also died of it but others seem spared.

Did Woody perform in his home town of Okemah? Yes, at the Crystal Theatre which is the venue for music today.

Who were the members of the original Almanac Singers organized 1941 touring together for two years? Along with Woody there was Peter Seeger, Millard Lampell, Bess Lomax, Arthur Stern, Sis Cunningham. Woody played guitar and harmonica and was a storyteller, a tradition carried on by Arlo.

What other singers did he perform with in the 1940s and 50s? The list includes Cisco Houston, Burl Ives, Leadbelly, Ronnie Gilbert, Lee Hays, Ramblin Jack Elliott, later on Bob Dylan.

What descendants survive Woody today? Arlo performs with his daughter Sarah Lee and husband Johnny Irion who also tour on their own. His sister Nora and brother Joady have families.

Does Oklahoma have any lakes? Sure enough. It boasts more manmade lakes than any other state.

What are the Five Civilized Tribes? The Chicasaw, Seminole, Chocktaw, Cherokee and Creek has tribal lands in the northeastern portion of the state.

How many wineries are there in Oklahoma? Surprisingly there are 41, including Grape Ranch near Okemah which has some of the festival music.

ozarksbil
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Happened to find this thread by accident, thought I would put my two cents in on the festival. This will be my 10th year of attending. It has grown each year but it still has a family feel each year. Even if it is your first year, within a few hours you will meet people that will soon become good friends. This year will be a great one out there, so if you can make it, I would say do so. By the way Ozarkbill, where are you from? Springdale Arkansas here...
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Hey!

We're a couple of oldsters from Springfield, MO. We do search out festivals here and there...one also last year was American Folk Festival in Bangor, ME (with daughter in nearby MA). We did get season tickets for Silver Dollar City this year, especially for the World Fest and later American Music and Crafts.

ozarksbill
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM

The Silver Dollar City pass is the best thing going. We usually get them also, but are passing this year just because we have some land that we are working on and just not enough time to do it all. But we will be back in Okemah for sure.
You should make it down to Eureka Springs when they have the Folk Festival there. Alot of great people are in town each year. One of the best things is a song writers comp. at the Basin Park stage that is free and goes on all day the Sat. of the fest. Lots of great local and national artist get a chance for some recording time and to open for the headliner that Sat. night.