Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Womanship - worldwide sailing company - keeps Girl Scout Money (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/womanship-worldwide-sailing-company-keeps-girl-scout-money-949042/)

moorephun Sep 2nd, 2012 04:21 PM

Womanship - worldwide sailing company - keeps Girl Scout Money

We want to let all in the sailing community know that you have a shark in your midst. Womanship.com, a worldwide sailing company that professes it can lead anyone on a learning adventure contracted with our group of 11 and 12 year old Girl Scouts on the Chesapeake Bay in June, 2012. We spent time coming to an agreed upon itinerary that led to us putting down a $1400.00 deposit on May 2nd. Since that time, Womanship suspended communication and did not respond to any of our appeals to get information regarding our upcoming trip. Our six Girl Scouts had to sell thousands of cookies to fund this trip, only to be disappointed and be left ashore. To add insult to injury, they continue to ignore all requests for a refund. If our experience is any indication of their business practices, do not spend any time or money on this company! The sailing community needs to spread the word! Don’t believe us? Look on TripAdvisior, Yahoo Travel, Cruisers Forum, Yelp, Sailing School Reviewer to name a few!!!

nytraveler Sep 2nd, 2012 05:47 PM

Too bad you didn't see the complaints until you had paid them.

But - this should easily fall within small claims court and they might even return your money as soon as they see that you have filed against them.

sallytakemyhand Sep 2nd, 2012 06:32 PM

Go to your Girl Scout council and get something on the letterhead, they either have staff there or at Girl Scout headquarters to help you out. Go to the media -- your local tv station should have a consumer reporter. This will make great tv esp. with GS in uniforms talking about selling cookies fort the trip that never happened.

moorephun Sep 2nd, 2012 07:27 PM

We are working on all of those suggestions - getting the word out!!! Call them yourselves - lots of pressure will help! Thanks for everything!!!

5alive Sep 2nd, 2012 11:01 PM

I am in GS and we have to do so much paperwork to go anywhere. Also, we are not allowed to go on any water trip, even class I rapids without it being a "GS Approved Outfitter." And in my experience, Outfitters don't run away with people's money.

In my area, had we wanted to take our girls back east and go on a boating trip like that, we would likely have to get an approval from say,the Maryland Council of GS that this outfitter is approved....I just don't even see how your paperwork got through the mill.

AnnMarie_C Sep 3rd, 2012 02:20 AM

"Call them yourselves..." No. A person cannot effectively complain about an experience they didn't have.

Gretchen Sep 3rd, 2012 08:02 AM

Did you have the benefit/foresight of paying it by credit card. Contest it.

suze Sep 3rd, 2012 12:40 PM

If all those travel websites gave the company bad reviews, I don't understand how you ended up booking with them in the first place.

Warytravler Jan 9th, 2013 11:09 AM

Don't blame the victim! Womanship is a disreputable company that has cheated a lot of good people.